Sportsnet: When Seattle joins, and expansion draft happens, nhl says vegas doesnt give up any players

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
How long are they exempt from stuff like this, is their like a hard number of years written for this or do they just make it up as they go? As a Sens fan it irks me a bit that we seemingly got hosed the worst for expansion, took ten years to build what Vegas got on their first dip.

Reactions: mmvvpp

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I mean, if they're not getting any of the money from the expansion fees, why is this a problem? They're not getting any money from Seattle because Vegas hasn't been in the league for long enough, so why should they give up a player?

If I was the GM of Vegas, I'd rather have $20 million or so instead of 1 depth player I could afford to lose.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Isn't it fun when your team does well in acquiring players (via trade, signing, draft/develop) and then gets bent over by the league and has to lose a good piece for nothing? Good stuff!

How exactly is an expansion team supposed to get it's players otherwise?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
If true that's utter BS, I'd gladly give up my portion of the expansion fee to not have to give up one of my players.

I'm not sure why its a level playing field for the other 30 teams and vegas gets a free pass. They are part off the league now they should have to play by the same rules as a every one else.

I can't see this staying this way, the will be way too much up roar from opposing GMs and fans calling BS.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If true that's utter BS, I'd gladly give up my portion of the expansion fee to not have to give up one of my players.

I'm not sure why its a level playing field for the other 30 teams and vegas gets a free pass. They are part off the league now they should have to play by the same rules as a every one else.

I can't see this staying this way, the will be way too much up roar from opposing GMs and fans calling BS.

The current owners made that a condition of Vegas coming in. That they wouldn't get a portion of the expected 32nd team expansion.

Since they aren't getting any profit from the new team coming in, they won't lose a player. It's not complicated, and nothing to be upset about.

Also, I highly doubt you'd give up 20-25 million dollars to not lose your 10th or 11th best player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It's really good that you're not an owner of a hockey team, then. I'd easily ship out our 4th best defensemen or our 5th best forward for $20 million.

ardsa

Apr 9, 2012
I wonder if there are rules restricting trades with Vegas after the season is over? Vegas getting excluded from the expansion draft gives other teams a second avenue to protect players from being picked. An existing team could trade their 8th forward to Vegas for a 3rd round pick and then once the expansion draft is over Vegas could trade the player back for a 2nd.

Excluding Vegas from the draft gives Vegas another chance to add assets due to the Seattle expansion draft. I think this gives Vegas an advantage directly at the expense of Seattle. The rest of the league gets a slight advantage to as they potentially get a team to play Seattle off against while negotiating player protection with Seattle.

NHL proves over and over how short sighted they are with respect to rules. Seattle should get better for their $650 M.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

You would rather have Calvin Pickard over $20 mil? Even in retrospect, I'd say there's only a few teams that would rather have their player back then the $20 mil.

The owners clearly preferred getting more of the profits from the expansion draft, as they were the ones that stipulated that Vegas wouldn't get any of the expansion profits.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Pretty much everyone thought Vegas was going to suck. People are only mad about this because they’re good now. This site is full of children.

Just to clarify, the Knights - who will be in their third season(?) when the process commences - will be exempt from a draft that it benefited from (see: this season). So in a sense people are "mad" at the thought the Knights can't stand to lose when - as you pointed out - they've been so successful out of the gate.

Most can see why the league would gear the expansion draft so the team ices a competitive roster. Not having them take part in a subsequent draft, and in turn preserve their roster, is a bit much.

Last edited:

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
A precedent is being set and it’s reasonable to give a 2-3 yr old expansion team a pass on the next expansion draft. LV shouldn’t be penalized for having a terrific first year which has benefitted the league IMO

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I feel like the only possible reason people would be upset about something like this is because Vegas happens to be killing it and doing well. If they were where many people thought they'd be at the start of the season, in the basement, I'd imagine not many would see a problem. If they don't receive a cut, it makes perfect sense to not have to forfeit a player.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

4Flames

Sep 2, 2015
Canada
This is bullshit. I get that they are new team, but they are equal to all the other teams at this point.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Just to clarify, the Knights - who will be in their third season(?) when the process commences - will be exempt from a draft that it benefited from (see: this season). So in a sense people are "mad" at the thought the Knights can't stand to lose when - as you pointed out - they've been so successful out of the gate.

Most can see why the league would gear the expansion draft so the team ices a competitive roster. Not having them take part in a subsequent draft, and in turn preserve their roster, is a bit much.

It's not even that, the owners didn't want an additional team taking a cut of the expansion fee. Vegas get no monetary gains so they shouldn't be subjected to losing an asset.
This is bull****. I get that they are new team, but they are equal to all the other teams at this point.

You realize it was all the teams owners (including yours) that made Vegas exempt from the draft, right?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I don’t have a problem with the concept. If Vegas isn’t getting a cut of the expansion fees they shouldn’t have to give up a player. It’s pretty simple.

My only issue with this is that it allows Vegas to make a bunch of trades with teams worried about exposing players. As they don’t then have to worry about exposing anyone themselves. Seems like a bit of an unfair advantage but I’m not sure what the NHL could do about it.

Reactions: Reddawg

4Flames

Sep 2, 2015
Canada
It's not even that, the owners didn't want an additional team taking a cut of the expansion fee. Vegas get no monetary gains so they shouldn't be subjected to losing an asset.

You realize it was all the teams owners (including yours) that made Vegas exempt from the draft, right?
That may be true, but I don't agree with that. Vegas is an NHL team, and when the NHL expands, everyone is supposed to give up a player for the new team.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's really good that you're not an owner of a hockey team, then. I'd easily ship out our 4th best defensemen or our 5th best forward for $20 million.
Well that's great and all but the Avs are going to be in shit place and aren't going to just lose some 4th/5th dman or bottom line forward.

We are looking at losing a guy like Erik Johnson. Because we'll have to protect Barrie, Girard and Zadorov who are all younger.

Or if we protect 4 defenseman then we'll expose young players like Compher and Kerfoot, that are nice young cost controlled secondary players. Not irreplaceable but I'd be nice to keep those type of players in the fold, instead of losing them for nothing.

So it's not like we'd be giving up a guy like Comeau or Colin Wilson, we actually stand to lose a quality young asset.

It just blows that we've sucked for a long time and finally worked our way back to being a half way decent team by building through young guys and the draft and we just have cough up a nice young asset because Seattle wants a team.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Atlanta (1999) and Nashville (1998) didn't have to lose anyone in the 2000 expansion draft (Columbus and Minnesota)
Nashville didn't give up anyone in the 1999 expansion draft (Atlanta)

Ottawa and Tampa (1992) had to give up players in the 1993 expansion draft (Anaheim and Florida)

San Jose (1991) didn't lose anyone in 1992 expansion draft (Ottawa and Tampa)
Yeah guys let's just ignore that there's precedent for this and that they'll be missing out on 20 million dollars (no player they'd leave exposed is worth that much)

We must have rabble and we must rouse it.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Bettman is trying to make up rules to make Vegas work out. Which is why I'm starting to dislike Vegas, because of Gary Bettman. He also has the reffing rigged because of Vegas, if you don't believe me, Neal broke his stick over Hellebuyck's mask, which lead to a goal, and it counted as a goal. That's interference.

Gary Bettman is the only thing I hate about being a hockey fan...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad