Confirmed with Link: Wheeler's extension: 5 years, $8.25M AAV

Whileee

May 29, 2010
again..the overpayment of wheeler is already resolved in the underpayment of scheifele. It's a wash.

The cap structure is not botched. It is no different then any other contending teams.

Yes it would have been nicer to be taking advantage of Scheifele's underpayment but it's not really an issue.

Could it have been better? Yes. But could it have been better while icing a team as good on paper for the next 2 years? I'm not convinced.

it is very manageable to resign everyone. You need only get out of perrault and kulikovs deals to do it. Also (and this is important for our gm): stop giving 3rd pairing dmen 4 mil a year.

You are so concerned about what might happen in two years. Buff could retire. Wheeler could retire. Scheiefele could grow a mustache and demand a trade to the maple leafs.
Yup...

Jets can have Scheifele, Ehlers, Wheeler and Morrissey for the same cost as Benn, Seguin and Radulov.

Agree about Kulikov... not a good deal, but at least it was only 3 years and they should be able to either move out his contract or buy him out for next season.

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Agree about Kulikov... not a good deal, but at least it was only 3 years and they should be able to either move out his contract or buy him out for next season.

Why was he given 3 years in the first place? What leverage did he have coming off a major injury that summer? After Clitsome's back injury, you'd think Chevy would've been more wary.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I can’t get over how much term this contract carries. Pacioretty just gave a “hometown” discount to Vegas with signing for 4 years only. Thornton gracefully signs one year deals. Still Wheeler felt the need to squeeze the maximum out of his contract, largely nullifying Scheifele’s sacrifice.

Reactions: Bigfish

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Why was he given 3 years in the first place? What leverage did he have coming off a major injury that summer? After Clitsome's back injury, you'd think Chevy would've been more wary.
He probably needed to give him 3 years to outbid another team or two...

I thought Kulikov was having a pretty good season, particularly in his own zone (at least before injuries).

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I can’t get over how much term this contract carries. Pacioretty just gave a “hometown” discount to Vegas with signing for 4 years only. Thornton gracefully signs one year deals. Still Wheeler felt the need to squeeze the maximum out of his contract, largely nullifying Scheifele’s sacrifice.

Lol

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I will agree that there is no discount in the deal with Wheeler. Jets are paying very close to full value, in my view. Earlier I speculated it would take $40+ million in total value to sign him. I still think it might have been better to spread it out over 6-7 years, but it will all depend on how the cap grows in the coming seasons.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
So..,
Why wouldn’t he squeeze every dime he could.
You wouldn’t?

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
So..,
Why wouldn’t he squeeze every dime he could.
You wouldn’t?

Definitely not. I’m a team player. The captain is just hurting his own and his teammates’ chances for a cup just to get some hundred k dollars more. That sets a bad precedent. I don’t think Blake “2nd assists galore” Wheeler would have gotten more even as a UFA.

As an entrepreneur I usually opt for low a wage for myself to give us the maximum chance to succeed (and sell big). Wheeler’s price should have been a Stanley Cup and not some $$$ more.

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
I don't understand the rush to sign Wheeler. I'm not saying they shouldn't have re-signed Wheeler but why now? Why not get Morrissey, Laine and Connor signed to long term contracts and then sign Wheeler with whatever is left. Maybe they should have used that money to over pay Trouba. I am very concerned about our defense. I have some hope for Niku and Samberg but after that it doesn't look that promising. We need defense before we need a soon to be a 2RW.

Reactions: dlam

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Definitely not. I’m a team player. The captain is just hurting his own and his teammates’ chances for a cup just to get some hundred k dollars more. That sets a bad precedent. I don’t think Blake “2nd assists galore” Wheeler would have gotten more even as a UFA.

As an entrepreneur I usually opt for low a wage for myself to give us the maximum chance to succeed (and sell big). Wheeler’s price should have been a Stanley Cup and not some $$$ more.
You’re a better man than I.
At his age and last big kick at the cat I’d go for the max.
Life after hockey regardless is a big adjustment no matter how much you may have saved.
The ATM is very good during playing years and no so much after.
Most human’s * would have a hard adjustment in the stark difference in cash flow after the playing days come to an end.
* Spock that’s logical correct?

Reactions: Spock

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
You’re a better man than I.
At his age and last big kick at the cat I’d go for the max.
Life after hockey regardless is a big adjustment no matter how much you may have saved.
The ATM is very good during playing years and no so much after.
Most human’s * would have a hard adjustment in the stark difference in cash flow after the playing days come to an end.
* Spock that’s logical correct?
It depends on how disciplined that human is. I have heard numerous phrases on this topic, along the lines of "If you make more, you spend more."

As far as the captain hurting his team by accepting a lucrative deal, It's not his job to make the money work for the Jets; however it is his job to make the money work for his family now and later.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It depends on how disciplined that human is. I have heard numerous phrases on this topic, along the lines of "If you make more, you spend more."

As far as the captain hurting his team by accepting a lucrative deal, It's not his job to make the money work for the Jets; however it is his job to make the money work for his family now and later.

I am not a proponent of ridiculous sports salaries but I’m not jealous either and I know darn well I’d try to earn as much as possible as would most people.
Hats off to those who wouldn’t .:huh:

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Scary thing is.... what the hell was Blake asking for if they end up settling on this number?
It would be almost too predictable if he gets hurt this year.

Last edited:

OutsideLookingIn

Feb 9, 2010

As an entrepreneur, you are a UFA from day one and you have total control of your ability to "sell big". If you hire or market poorly, that's on you.

Players are controlled by a cba, that in many cases, they never truly had a say in. That's anybody that has come into the league in the last eight years.

The window for an NHL player is small and they don't control, who the teams sign, i.e. Stuart, Pav, Mason, or Kulikov. They surely don't have a say in putting team in bad markets with bad owners, i.e. Phoenix, Florida, Carolina, or Ottawa. All these things reduce the pool of fund s that available to the players.

So comparing our lives and situations to their's is apples and oranges.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I think Wheeler his contract was maybe 1 million/yeAr overpayment. Who cares!

If Chevy squeezes everyone, no one will want to deal with him anymore.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Players fight for when they can become FA's, why would they leave money on the table once they got there? It's the most important factor for their earning potential.

NHL teams aren't charity cases.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I thought he was pretty steady for us when he did play. And he still could be we aren't sure yet. Hopefully not the same fate as Clitsome

Reactions: 10Ducky10 and GNP

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
As an entrepreneur, you are a UFA from day one and you have total control of your ability to "sell big". If you hire or market poorly, that's on you.

Players are controlled by a cba, that in many cases, they never truly had a say in. That's anybody that has come into the league in the last eight years.

The window for an NHL player is small and they don't control, who the teams sign, i.e. Stuart, Pav, Mason, or Kulikov. They surely don't have a say in putting team in bad markets with bad owners, i.e. Phoenix, Florida, Carolina, or Ottawa. All these things reduce the pool of fund s that available to the players.

So comparing our lives and situations to their's is apples and oranges.

I hear you, and good analogies there! However, even though the earning window is limited for NHLers the amount of money they make is so humongous that it really doesn’t matter much. Let’s say you have 25M in the bank and no SC vs 22M and a SC, what do the extra millions do at that point? It’s diminishing returns.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

pretty sure thornton didn't start signing 1 year deals when he was 31

Reactions: Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
pretty sure thornton didn't start signing 1 year deals when he was 31
Age 29 --- 3 years x 7.2 million
Age 32 --- 3 years x 7 million
Age 35 --- 3 years x 6.75 million
Age 38 --- 1 year x 8 million
Age 39 --- 1 year x 5 million

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Age 29 --- 3 years x 7.2 million
Age 32 --- 3 years x 7 million
Age 35 --- 3 years x 6.75 million
Age 38 --- 1 year x 8 million
Age 39 --- 1 year x 5 million

thank you!

so lets put that in prespective

Thorton
33,34 at 7 mil - When signed this deal was 11.78% of the cap
35 36 37 at 6.75 mil - When signed this deal was 9.78% of the cap
if you took the average $ value of all five years at the time the first deal was signed it was: 11.57% of the cap.
His deals over those 5 years averaged 10.21% of the available cap.

Wheeler
33, 34, 35, 36, 37, at 8.5, is 10.69% of the current cap.

it doesn't take much math to realize the cap only has to increase marginally to make these two situations look nearly identical (aside from Thorton arguably being a better player)

Whileee

May 29, 2010
thank you!

so lets put that in prespective

Thorton
33,34 at 7 mil - When signed this deal was 11.78% of the cap
35 36 37 at 6.75 mil - When signed this deal was 9.78% of the cap
if you took the average $ value of all five years at the time the first deal was signed it was: 11.57% of the cap.
His deals over those 5 years averaged 10.21% of the available cap.

Wheeler
33, 34, 35, 36, 37, at 8.5, is 10.69% of the current cap.

it doesn't take much math to realize the cap only has to increase marginally to make these two situations look nearly identical (aside from Thorton arguably being a better player)
The % of cap for Wheeler will go down over the life of the deal as the cap rises.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
It's called the Winnipeg tax. if we were in LA it would have been a 2 year deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad