Confirmed with Link: Wheeler's extension: 5 years, $8.25M AAV

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
It's called the Winnipeg tax. if we were in LA it would have been a 2 year deal.
Then Winnipeg is always going to lose because there is no way we become LA. So we might as well pack up right now and be happy with mediocrity.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Then Winnipeg is always going to lose because there is no way we become LA. So we might as well pack up right now and be happy with mediocrity.
When in comes to UFA's that's the reality. That is why TNSE is committed to draft and develop.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This got done quickly and a year in advance, so I think both sides were always in the same ballpark in terms of what they thought was a fair deal.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Dropped by the iceplex for about 10 minutes this morning and happened to catch our top six doing the beep test.

Blake looks really good!

Reactions: Halberdier

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Sorry, didn't stay long enough. Just in and out.
The big man was moving real smooth!

Smooth like he was floating on 8.25 million AAv?

I'm still pretty nervous about this deal, especially given the examples of decline in his two former top line-mates. Hopefully it doesn't go Ladd-shaped.

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011

I'm still pretty nervous about this deal, especially given the examples of decline in his two former top line-mates. Hopefully it doesn't go Ladd-shaped.
Funny you should mention the 8.25 mill. That was exactly my first thought when I saw him. Then I also thought this is a man who looks too proud to not show he is worth it.

I will say that I feel OK about the contract. Yes, the last two years are going to be interesting to watch, but I really feel Blake is a different athlete. I believe management know what they have in him and made the calculated risk that this will work out.

Reactions: libertarian

ocdaddy

Nov 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Think about about the captains who have raised the Cup the past 5 or so seasons... They are all the highest paid on their teams.

If Blake hoists it this yr or next- nobody will say boo about his contract. (Which I believe has been said already in this thread)

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It's okay to be worried about Wheelers later years of his deal. But we can still enjoy that we have a couple star players like Wheeler and Buff that want to be here even though they surely could get more elsewhere.

We are going to have a sick 2 or 3 year run here with tons of talented young guys entering their prime. We cant do that without Wheeler. He's signed up now so let's go.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
It's called the Winnipeg tax. if we were in LA it would have been a 2 year deal.
Quite while you're behind already. The team that signed kovelchuk at 35 to a 3 year 6.25 contract who has been out of league for 5 years and looked washed up at Olympics and not a 90 point player. So proof they would give more then 2 years to a 33 year old when the give 3 to a 35 year old.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Listening to a Stastny interview a while ago, he mentioned that he understands the culture of being due to get paid or something. It may well be that Wheeler is getting what he is owed or something. He is also getting praise about his focus on fitness.

Wheeler is an important piece of this team, any idiot can see that. Now he just needs to keep his eye on the prize and foot on the gas.

And ease up on the penalties, big guy.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

Which doesn't kick in until next season but why let reality get in the way of things.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Uhh I thought I’d get over my reservations with this contract with time but I’m just feeling more and more like this was a misstep. Especially when somewhat comparable players (Pacioretty) signed with new teams for approximately half the term.

I think Chevy should have waited until Christmas or so with this signing, and put some heat on Wheeler. Now the team takes all the risk.

I also think that Wheeler’s stats were quite inflated last season by having doubled his PP assists. Of course Wheeler on the half-wall (that’s my next album’s name btw) will score lots of assists when Laine (who scored most PP goals in the league) is shooting slappers, Scheif is sniping from the slot and Buff is bombing away from the blue line are on your unit.

It’s just too much term, FAR too much term at that AAV.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
How is Pacioretty a comparable to Wheeler? Wheeler more then doubles his point total. Do we really think the difference between their respective teammates is that great?

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
How is Pacioretty a comparable to Wheeler? Wheeler more then doubles his point total. Do we really think the difference between their respective teammates is that great?

I meant a captain nearing the end of their contract, and yes a Pacioretty had an awful year but he’s still a very good winger.

I do in fact also think that the discrepancy in line mates was vast, but that is not what I was getting at. My point was Wheeler’s exceptional year fueled by doubling his PP assists and signing a huge contract directly afterwards.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017

Or 4.125 million per foot...

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I meant a captain nearing the end of their contract, and yes a Pacioretty had an awful year but he’s still a very good winger.

I do in fact also think that the discrepancy in line mates was vast, but that is not what I was getting at. My point was Wheeler’s exceptional year fueled by doubling his PP assists and signing a huge contract directly afterwards.

I was not expecting this Wheeler deal and not the greatest fan of the entirety and length of it but...I still trust Chevy and TNSE so far... so they all laid out a lot of rope.... so I hope they don't all hang themselves on it...

I hope I am all wrong on this one, time will tell...

noose.gif

ello

Jun 12, 2018

Yeah i'm never a fan of signing a player right after a career-year. I would have preferred Chevy to let the season play out a couple months first. Worst case scenario (contract-wise) is that Wheeler continues to produce at the pace he did last year and he signs the deal he just did. Oh well. I think what is more likely is that Wheeler's numbers regress back to his career mean somewhat, and Chevy could have shaved some money off that cap hit.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
Yeah i'm never a fan of signing a player right after a career-year. I would have preferred Chevy to let the season play out a couple months first. Worst case scenario (contract-wise) is that Wheeler continues to produce at the pace he did last year and he signs the deal he just did. Oh well. I think what is more likely is that Wheeler's numbers regress back to his career mean somewhat, and Chevy could have shaved some money off that cap hit.

I think it's fair to say that his numbers will regress, but 8.25 million for a ~70 point winger is still a pretty fair deal. Seguin who gets maybe on average a little more points, but is younger and a center just got 9.85 for 8 years. Or compared to Pacioretty is usually a ~60 point winger (coming off a bad year) got 7 mill x 4.

I think what I'm trying to say is I don't think it's worth the risk of Wheeler leaving to try and save a little bit of money off of his contract.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Uhh I thought I’d get over my reservations with this contract with time but I’m just feeling more and more like this was a misstep. Especially when somewhat comparable players (Pacioretty) signed with new teams for approximately half the term.

I think Chevy should have waited until Christmas or so with this signing, and put some heat on Wheeler. Now the team takes all the risk.

I also think that Wheeler’s stats were quite inflated last season by having doubled his PP assists. Of course Wheeler on the half-wall (that’s my next album’s name btw) will score lots of assists when Laine (who scored most PP goals in the league) is shooting slappers, Scheif is sniping from the slot and Buff is bombing away from the blue line are on your unit.

I believe we have gone through the same education system, so I reckon one of us has been sleeping through their math classes.

Not that I disagree too much - the factor that you probably should have mentioned is the difference in age between Blake and Max, though - but I just thought that was quite interesting.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017

Yep, any way you look at it, this is a terrible contract. Wheeler has shown signs of decline already and we are stuck with him for another 6 years! Two years of good does not make up for 4 years of bad. But some here think it does.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Ideally 3 years would have been perfect -we'll have to eat the last 2 years, as he'll only be worth half of what he signed for. If he was an UFA - someone would have signed him for 5 years, so Chevy made the right call here.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Ideally 3 years would have been perfect -we'll have to eat the last 2 years, as he'll only be worth half of what he signed for. If he was an UFA - someone would have signed him for 5 years, so Chevy made the right call here.
I was 100% supportive of a 3 year deal.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Just because someone jumps off a bridge doesn't make it a smart decision. Same applies here. I hear that a lot, GMs and media justifying bad contracts saying that another GM would have done the same. All that means is you have at least 2 stupid GMs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad