Confirmed with Link: Wheeler's extension: 5 years, $8.25M AAV

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Wow. Not sure what I feel. The term is max I'd want so I think this is a good sign.

Someone said declining?!

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I don't like this at all. This is a declining asset. Terrible move Chevy...did you not learn your lesson with Little? AAV seems fine, but three years was the MAX we should have gone. Will be interesting what type of NMC is in the contract.

Reactions: Theorex

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's going to prevent us from winning in the short term as we will have to shed way more salary next off-season. There isn't enough room with an 8 plus million declining player. Chevys worst contract to date. An 8 plus million 38 year old is face palm worthy.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I don't like this at all. This is a declining asset. Terrible move Chevy...did you not learn your lesson with Little? AAV seems fine, but three years was the MAX we should have gone. Will be interesting what type of NMC is in the contract.
...you see where he finished in the scoring race, right?

This will end up as another Pavelec contract in a year or two. Just brutal. I'm so disappointed in this signing.

so disappointed that you posted twice. lol

This probably means that Poolman will be playing on the second pairing for the next few years and we can say goodbye to Perreault after this season. If Chevy can get Morrissey locked up for 7+ years, I'll forgive him for this.

whoops. that's three!

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
This probably means that Poolman will be playing on the second pairing for the next few years and we can say goodbye to Perreault after this season. If Chevy can get Morrissey locked up for 7+ years, I'll forgive him for this.

Reactions: Theorex

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
I think this is fine for the Jets. just four years beyond his current contract so that is very reasonable. Also, like the Buff signing, it makes an organizational statement to the young core players, that the Jets are a team you can plan your whole career around if you produce at your highest level. I like it.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
is that when an asset declines?
he's been trending upward since 2011.
he's a bit of an anomaly.
if he had a 2018-19 season like last year's and walked as a UFA, he'd sign for a similar contract, if not a bit more.
He's not getting better beyond his age 33 season. We just paid a premium for his declining years.

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't have any problems with the money or the term. I think Wheeler's play will more than make up for it. He's gonna be one of those Thornton/Selanne type players that can play well into his late 30s and play at a high level. His speed, vision and passing are just too good.

The cap situation next year is another story however. Chevy will have to work his magic and either sign bridge deals or trade away some major assets. Still glad to have Wheeler apart of the team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Also this may explain why Morrissey isn't inked yet Chevy is likely only offering 4.5 million or so on a long term deal, he can't afford to go much higher given this extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad