Confirmed with Link: Wheeler's extension: 5 years, $8.25M AAV

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I believe we have gone through the same education system, so I reckon one of us has been sleeping through their math classes.

Not that I disagree too much - the factor that you probably should have mentioned is the difference in age between Blake and Max, though - but I just thought that was quite interesting.

I took the age difference for granted. And you are right, I misremembered Pacioretty’s contract as being for three years. But the point still stands, a younger player agreed to sign for shorter term, and on a new team at that.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I'm late to this tread but signing Wheeler to a 5 year contract at over 8M is much more then about just paying a older player that will regress by then end of the contract. Scheifele who may be the most under paid star and the best team friendly contract in the league is kept happy to keep playing with Wheeler and so is the rest of the team. Since the Jets SC window is open now and this year may be their best chance to win it all makes Wheeler's signing well worth it. People seem to forget that hockey players are not just players on a video game that never factors the human aspect of the team. They are human being and the Jets has proved to all of their young stars that management will pay market value for you and reward you for years of great service. Will Wheeler be over paid in year 4 and 5 of this contract? Probably but if they win just one cup then it will be worth it.

Reactions: AnonoJet

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
This contract was supposed to be the sign that the Jets are in a win-now mode. Unless Chevy has a pleasant surprise for us tomorrow to rectify what appears to be horrible top-6 D, it appears that will not be the case. Otherwise, the only hope for contending will be a quantum leap forward in the development of Pionk and Niku.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
This contract was supposed to be the sign that the Jets are in a win-now mode. Unless Chevy has a pleasant surprise for us tomorrow to rectify what appears to be horrible top-6 D, it appears that will not be the case. Otherwise, the only hope for contending will be a quantum leap forward in the development of Pionk and Niku.

This is a little hysterical.

But more importantly, conflating a ho-hum top-6 D, albeit one with upside, with Wheeler's contract to the point where you went back and bumped a nine-month-old thread is confusing and bordering on a witch-hunt. Unless you can come up with some evidence to the contrary, we should assume Wheeler didn't make Trouba hate Winnipeg. Place the blame where it belongs.

(Psst. Being good was a sign the Jets were in win now mode. Wheeler's contract was a sign that he was an All Star and a UFA.)

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
As much as I harp on wheeler for his lack of proper leadership. He could of got 10 mil Lot of other places. He took a huge hometown discount to stay in our community. I have no problem with his contract.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
35 year old 65 point a season (lately) Joe Pavelski is going to get paid today.

The one thing I will say about Wheeler is it’s bizarre that he had back to back 90 point seasons in his 30’s when his previous high had been 78 points.

B Lakey.....May you age gracefully and have at least 3 more seasons where you don’t dip below 70 points

Reactions: GNP

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
what if.......Wheeler did not sign last year.... He would have been a UFA today.What would his new contract be today and where would he go.

Guess....... Back to Minnesota on a 4 year 8 mill contract. Minney would have chosen the local boy instead of the older Pavelski as rumoured @ 3 years 7 mill.

We paid a premium of the extra year and .25 mill a year more ....... to keep him around.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I don't know ... but the Wheeler contract is looking decent to me when compared to a few of the signings we've seen so far. First and foremost in my mind is the contract Hayes signed with Philly. For an extra $1.25 mill per year, I'll take Wheels all day every day.

Or ... the rumoured Duchesne signing with the Preds. I know lots of people are high on him, but he's still only a 70 point guy versus Wheeler's back-to-back 90+ point seasons, and word on the street is Duchesne will sign for 7 x $8 million later today, alleged/rumoured locker-room issues all-inclusive.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
what if.......Wheeler did not sign last year.... He would have been a UFA today.What would his new contract be today and where would he go.

Guess....... Back to Minnesota on a 4 year 8 mill contract. Minney would have chosen the local boy instead of the older Pavelski as rumoured @ 3 years 7 mill.

We paid a premium of the extra year and .25 mill a year more ....... to keep him around.

Ya sure. He outscored Panarin, who’s getting over 12M, by 11 points over the past two seasons but he would take 35% less. Seems reasonable

Reactions: ERYX

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't know ... but the Wheeler contract is looking decent to me when compared to a few of the signings we've seen so far. First and foremost in my mind is the contract Hayes signed with Philly. For an extra $1.25 mill per year, I'll take Wheels all day every day.

Or ... the rumoured Duchesne signing with the Preds. I know lots of people are high on him, but he's still only a 70 point guy versus Wheeler's back-to-back 90+ point seasons, and word on the street is Duchesne will sign for 7 x $8 million later today, alleged/rumoured locker-room issues all-inclusive.
Duchene is focusing more effort on his country music "career". I do wonder whether he's all out in his focus on hockey.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Less than a year later and you're pushing for a soft rebuild/retool now.

BgQBqly.gif

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Ya sure. He outscored Panarin, who’s getting over 12M, by 11 points over the past two seasons but he would take 35% less. Seems reasonable

I doubt a GM would offer 32-year-0ld Wheeler as much as 27-year-old Panarin despite the points. Even forgetting the age factor, Wheeler needs to play with Scheifele to get his points; take him away from Scheifele and 1PP and is he even a 70-point player anymore? I doubt it. Panarin actually improved without P. Kane (according to Craig Button). This year Wheeler could have got caught in the RFA cap squeeze more so than last year. Plus he wouldn't be the other team's captain, so there's no monetary bonus for that. IMO Wheeler benefitted from a confluence of circumstances last year that aren't the same this year. Maybe the $8M isn't out of line

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I doubt a GM would offer 32-year-0ld Wheeler as much as 27-year-old Panarin despite the points. Even forgetting the age factor, Wheeler needs to play with Scheifele to get his points; take him away from Scheifele and 1PP and is he even a 70-point player anymore? I doubt it. Panarin actually improved without P. Kane (according to Craig Button). This year Wheeler could have got caught in the RFA cap squeeze more so than last year. Plus he wouldn't be the other team's captain, so there's no monetary bonus for that. IMO Wheeler benefitted from a confluence of circumstances last year that aren't the same this year. Maybe the $8M isn't out of line

As much as you hate every contract Chevy signs... Anders Lee is about to make 9M and wheeler outscored him by 69 points over the last two years. 35 yr old Pavelski is going to get 7M. The Jets certainly saved by signing Wheeler early.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
As much as you hate every contract Chevy signs... Anders Lee is about to make 9M and wheeler outscored him by 69 points over the last two years. 35 yr old Pavelski is going to get 7M. The Jets certainly saved by signing Wheeler early.

As your first sentence is wrong, I will assume the rest is wrong as well.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Anders Lee is not getting $9M AAV.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1