What's the major issue limiting Puljujärvi?

Vide

Mar 2, 2015
Experience and language barrier. Probably isn't really comfortable in NA yet.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd give him a bit of a pass this year, if he struggles next year in the AHL (with his talent, he should definitely be dominating), I'd maybe worry a little and see about loaning him to play back at home for the rest of the year and then see how he does the following year. He'd still only be 21, nothing wrong with that at all.

McspOiler

Feb 27, 2012
Victoria, BC
I believe he needs to develop... he also had knee surgery and no summer training last year. Most players have a bad return year from knee related injuries. Right from training camp he looked way slower and less engaged then even the world juniors. I think a motivated summer will go a long way.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Time for Edmonton to move on, clearly. They needed D anyway, right? I guess they'll just have to trade him to Arizona for the 7h overall (Makar or Liljegren). :sarcasm:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If you watch Puljujarvi play against simple opposition, like he did in that little tournament before pre season, it's obvious that he's a playmaker with great vision, and a cerebral player too. That combined with his speed is why he was drafted so high.

In the NHL, fast skating is an asset, but it can also be your downfall because it can just as easily put you out of position, and the result can be that the player becomes timid and just doesn't skate like they could. Also, for a playmaker it can be tough to adjust in the NHL were the gaps close quicker and the checking is tighter. In the AHL, there might be more room but playmakers depend on their teammates a lot so it's a double edged sword. Easier opposition to play against, sure, but not as much talent to work with.

I definitely think he starts in the NHL next season, like he did last season. He'll also have a full offseason to train and work on things, something he didn't have last year because he was recovering from his knee injury. If he doesn't do well again, then no problem. He'll just go to the AHL again in that case and we'll do it all over again the following season. He has the talent and the smarts to meet his potential. It's just a matter of adjustment.

boyko10

44-11-9
Apr 27, 2017
He needs to be more comfortable throwing his weight around, and proving he can stay healthy while doing it. No need to hit all that moves but with at least a hint of physicality he will get so much more out of that frame.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
He has McDavid on his team, so at worst case, he will be a serviceable complementary winger on the 1st line. If he's actually good though, that + McDavid will make him amazing - statistically at least. Especially when you consider that skating is his biggest asset

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I think he is just the victim of unrealistic expectations.

He had the misfortune of being lumped in with Laine as the 'Finnish super-studs' when in reality they were always in different tiers as players.

Personally I don't see him as ever being an elite player, doesn't have the IQ for that in my opinion. He should be a top 6 player though, with potential as a top line guy.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Perhaps the problem is that the Oilers tried to Niederreiter him on the fourth line.

How are you supposed to develop playing 4 or 5 minutes a night with grinders?

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
I find it ridiculous that people think he will bust just because he didn't impress in the NHL. He did put up some very decent AHL numbers while being the youngest player and knowing basically no English at all. He's not a bust at all yet and if you've seen him play you'd also know he doesn't lack IQ either. He just needs time.

If Pulju is a bust because he didn't impress in the NHL then surely Dubois and Juolevi are too since they didnt make their teams at all :sarcasm:

edit: added the last paragraph

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I find it ridiculous that people think he will bust just because he didn't impress in the NHL. He did put up some very decent AHL numbers while being the youngest player and knowing basically no English at all. He's not a bust at all yet and if you've seen him play you'd also know he doesn't lack IQ either. He just needs time.

If Pulju is a bust because he didn't impress in the NHL then surely Dubois and Juolevi are too since they didnt make their teams at all :sarcasm:

edit: added the last paragraph

This reminds me of the Draisaitl threads from his draft +1. Edmonton really screwed up his development. Top 10 in scoring, and a beast in the playoffs, just two years later.

Two years from now, the biggest concern will likely be how Edmonton will be able to fit Pulju in under the cap.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Way too premature for this. I guess its understandable as Pulju came to the NHL with way too much hype.

Chef de Cuisine

Mar 15, 2015
Jesse Puljujarvi will win the Conn Smythe as McDavid's sniper when he scores 2 hattricks in Games 6 and 7 of the 2020 SCF against Toronto.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Jesse Puljujarvi will win the Conn Smythe as McDavid's sniper when he scores 2 hattricks in Games 6 and 7 of the 2020 SCF against Toronto.

That would be interesting. I mean denying the leafs from 3 leading in 2020 will be pretty good for the oilers. Hopefully leafs can win in 2021 and get 3 in 4 for the dynasty to be complete.

McFlash

Apr 8, 2017
Past year??

Jarmo probably has at least 8 yrs of hard scouting on JP.

I'm not putting my money on myself as I would just be basing my opinion on stats and about 15 games I saw him play in the pros. But I'm putting my stick on Jarmo who is not a believer at all with JP..

Like I said, IQ ,positioning , fundamentals and motor are all at about an echl/ahl level right now.

Physical tools such as skating and frame are definitely nhl level tho.

So in other words, he's already better then Horvat at 18/19.......

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
His IQ is questionable, bad puck protection, horrible puck handling, bad shooting and non-existent physical play. He was drafted too high due to him dominating against juniors with way too little sample size. The comparisons to Laine were ridiculous... the one was MVP in the FEL playoffs while Pulju was a rotation player.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The comparisons to Laine were ridiculous... the one was MVP in the FEL playoffs while Pulju was a rotation player.

But it was a nice story! Tore up the U20 as linemates, so they had to be nearly as good right? Who cares about the FEL playoffs or the Men's World Championships.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad