What's the major issue limiting Puljujärvi?

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
McDavid's only hat trick in his career thus far actually came with Puljujarvi on his wing. So yeah, I think they will do well together long term.

Jesse doesn't need to be a perfect player, McDavid makes Patrick Maroon look like an All-Star caliber player.

So that's also a huge advantage down the line for Puljujarvi -- McDavid will likely drive some extra points his way, then you get confidence, and then we know how that movie goes. Jesse just needs to put his head down and pay his dues a little bit.

Learn English, work on your lower body strength, eventually you'll get your shot with McDavid and good things will happen.

That was the flukiest hatrick and you know it. Maybe puljujarvi is a good luck charm for McDavid but his actual play was not why McDavid scored that hatrick.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That was the flukiest hatrick and you know it. Maybe puljujarvi is a good luck charm for McDavid but his actual play was not why McDavid scored that hatrick.

Regardless, Jesse has a lot of tools that will let him play well with McDavid. Good top speed, nice hard release, willingness to shoot.

He's going to do well in that role, he just needs to be patient, it would also help if he buckled down and learned better English. I can't really imagine being in a job and not really being able to speak/communicate with anyone.

Lots of 18 year olds don't tear up the NHL straight away. Filip Forsberg, Leon Draisaitl, William Nylander, etc. etc. etc.

It's a process for a lot of kids. Imagine the Oilers had traded away Leon Draisaitl after his rookie season ... what a monumental mistake that would've been and this board was jumping alllllll over him too (lol, Draisaitl is the worst skater in the NHL, luluz should've taken Bennett!).

Filip Forsberg had a 0.72 ppg in the AHL the one year he played there, and Forsberg was 1 or 2 years older than Jesse too. Caps made a big mistake in trading him.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It actually boggles my mind that there was such a huge difference between Laine and Puljujarvi this past season.

For the most part, I thought both players would come into the league right away and become impact players. I guess Laine way over-performed and Puljujarvi was very underwhelming.

To be honest, I actually thought Puljujarvi would have had a better rookie season due to talent surrounding him.

I'm the exact opposite.

I was amazed all of last year when people were lumping these two guys together just because they were both Finnish. Laine was clearly the better player with the more projectable skillset by a wide margin, and both players did pretty much exactly what I expected this year.

Puljujarvi will be a nice 50-60 point two-way top-6 winger. He's a good young player and will be a fine NHL player, but the draft hype was extremely misplaced.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Give him a solid off-season, hopefully he stays in Canada and trains with Drai, that should give him the boost he needs. Not worry for him. I think he thought it would be easier then it was. Few glimpes with Mcdavid, and they looked dynamite...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Give him a solid off-season, hopefully he stays in Canada and trains with Drai, that should give him the boost he needs. Not worry for him. I think he thought it would be easier then it was. Few glimpes with Mcdavid, and they looked dynamite...

Leon trains in Germany in the summer, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for Jesse to take some notes.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
No need to rush him. The Oilers have made that mistake many times. People were ready to write off Draisatl a few years ago too... and now look at him. JP could have a similar trajectory, and also has to overcome the language barrier. Drai had already done so during his junior career in the WHL

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Ahhh hes still young.. I realize everyone loves to jump on other teams prospects if they dont have immediate imapact but cmon... I get a kick out of these threads when a rookie doesnt pull a McDavid/Matthews/Laine/Ghost/Werenski type rookie season and people rip them apart. Its ridiculous

I will say though that i was hoping for Puli to have a impressive WC with Finland but as of now i havent liked his game. However, it's been a long season and some ups and downs for him but i definately feel he is a top NHL prospect so im not really caring too much that he hasnt wow'd me at all... Lets see how his season goes next year and take it from there

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
I think it's just age and how big he is takes time to build strength into such a big frame. I mean I think he just turned 19 a couple of days ago.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Huge red flag when Jarmo passed on him w. The 3rd pick. Jarmo knows every ins and outs w. Finnish hockey and he was scared off on drafting Puljujarvi.

I think he will bust but I think the Oilers will trade him before that happens.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Nail has some elite aspects to his game ... he is just that dumb hockey I.Q. wise.

Jesse is just going through a growing process, if he sucks at 18 then so did William Nylander as their AHL production is virtually identical.

William's AHL numbers in his first season misrepresents how good he actually was for the Marlies. He had to transition to AHL hockey midway through his SHL season, and initially struggled to put up numbers on the board with the ensuing lack of chemistry (juggled up and down Marlies' lineup). He settled down and ended the season on a PPG+ pace.

Jesse will be fine, it's not unheard of for high rated Euro prospects to struggle a tad in their first few years in NA, but the lack of context ameliorates this comparison that you've brought up a few times already.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Huge red flag when Jarmo passed on him w. The 3rd pick. Jarmo knows every ins and outs w. Finnish hockey and he was scared off on drafting Puljujarvi.

You seem impartial. :P

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland

Jarmo also missed out on Aho, so...

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
He'll be fine his AHL numbers were amongst the best ever for 18 year olds. He was the youngest player in the NHL this year and was coming off a major surgery. Not everyone develops the same he might take longer to get there but I have no doubts he'll be a top line winger.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
People just need to be more patient. I'm guessing it'll take him a couple years to adjust to the North American game, and when he does, him and McDavid will be Gretzky-Kurri lite.

Even Laine looked lost at times playing in the NHL. Which is scary considering the numbers he still put up.

Both these guys are going to be phenomenal in a few years. 80+ point players easily, that each bring different strengths to the table.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
He had 28pts in 39 games in his 1st year playing in NA as an 18 year old... He's fine

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
He had 28pts in 39 games in his 1st year playing in NA as an 18 year old... He's fine

He's fine if one is just stat watching.

But from seeing his game there are lots of red flags.

ICE-Q is horrendous... positioning is also. Below average. And compete level is not NHL material.

Lots can change but those are all worrisome ..

Can't blame Jesse tho.. he was always the biggest and fastest so he never had to learn the fundamentals and thinking part of the game.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
There is no major issue. He was the youngest pro playing in North America last season. He's going to be fine.

He's basically a bigger Nail Yakupov, nice tools but no brain.
He lacks hockey IQ.

There is a serious problem there. Talent isn't the issue.
Lol, unreal. His hockey IQ is one of his strengths.

Let's hear some more expert posts from people who watched him play maybe five games last year.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I would say endurance.

Skating is supposed to be one of his biggest strengths, but it doesn't do you any good if you're gassed quickly. He ends up chasing the game + while tired can make a lot of bad decisions.

I wouldn't say his hockey IQ is as bad as some people suggest.

He just has to be able to skate fast for full shifts. Being involved in the play constantly and getting chances will improve his confidence.

Pulju was always the type of player who would bounce around the rink making things happen with his speed, long reach, skills with the puck and desire to win. It wouldn't necessarily always look pretty (sometimes it would look very pretty), he'd make mistakes, but at the end of the day you look at the game and say he created a lot for his team and was always dangerous. He can be quite unpredictable and tough to defend because of that.

This year he just hasn't been able to do that. His previous summer definitely didn't go as well as it could've (i believe he was injured).

I was one of those people who said Pulju wouldn't make it as an NHL regular in his 1st year - got crucified for it, it's funny to see how the tables have turned and some people call him a bust already.

He could still be a perfect winger for McDavid, just give him a couple of years.

He put up the same numbers as Filip Forsberg in the AHL.

At a year younger to boot.

He'll be fine. People will just have to deal with the reality of McDavid, Draisaitl, and Puljujarvi leading the charge for the Oilers on the attack for the next decade.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
William's AHL numbers in his first season misrepresents how good he actually was for the Marlies. He had to transition to AHL hockey midway through his SHL season, and initially struggled to put up numbers on the board with the ensuing lack of chemistry (juggled up and down Marlies' lineup). He settled down and ended the season on a PPG+ pace.

Yeayea justifications like that can be made for anyone ever.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Disturbing to see that an 18 year old that played on a 59 point pace in the AHL is such a dissapointment...

[mod] ****in rediculous

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
He is going to be fine. He had a good year in the AHL and has been a bit disappointing at the WHC it really isn't that big of a deal. If he doesn't take the big step next season that is when you might start to worry but as a neutral fan I thought he had a good year overall.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
The guy just turned 19 and hasn't established himself in the NHL yet? He's already a bust guys. The Oilers have ruined another one!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad