What's the major issue limiting Puljujärvi?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Umm... His age? Also he was rushed this year, should have stayed in Europe or started in the AHL if he were willing.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
ahlforwards.png

His 18 year old AHL season is very comparable to William Nylander.

What's the problem? Not even 18 year old kid is an immediate superstar, the Oilers should know that better than most as many people here wrote Draisaitl off after his first few games.

Play him with McDavid once he gets a little more strength and adjusts to the game here a little better and there's a good chance the numbers will come.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
He just wasn't ready to play at the NHL level this season. I did think the Oilers rushed him, and maybe they thought they would need him more than they did. If they are patient, let him develop and regain his confidence he'll be a good one.

I think Pulujarvi would not have come to North America without the guarantee of half a season on the big club. I don't think it was a bad thing to see how fast and physical the NHL is, and I hope his AHL time will help him to become a solid NHL'er. You are correct, patience is the key. He just wasn't ready, very few 18 year olds are.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's basically a bigger Nail Yakupov, nice tools but no brain.

Jesse has a lot more hockey sense than Nail. Nail basically tries to play like Ovechkin but doesn't have any of the higher end abilities to do so. Puljujarvi on the other hand has pretty good vision/patience to make plays, Nail was always doing weird crap like firing a normal pass at 100 mph.

Puljujarvi was a +5 in 28 NHL games this year, Yakupov was -4 and then followed up by -33 and -35 campaigns, lol. Nail was even -2 in Sarnia his rookie year despite putting up 100+ points, which is pretty hard to pull off.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
Too early to tell but I was surprised when columbus' GM passed on a fin that was the consenus #3. Not that puljujarvi will be a bust but that he isn't close to Matthews and Laine like a lot of people (including myself) thought on draft day. I remember the draft as being the "big 3" but it's clearly just the "big 2" at this point.

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
It actually boggles my mind that there was such a huge difference between Laine and Puljujarvi this past season.

For the most part, I thought both players would come into the league right away and become impact players. I guess Laine way over-performed and Puljujarvi was very underwhelming.

To be honest, I actually thought Puljujarvi would have had a better rookie season due to talent surrounding him.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Good tools but no idea how to use them. Reminds me of MacKinnon. At least MacKinnon had the advantage of being English speaking so can communicate with team mates.

Once Pulju learns to communicate with his teammates he'll be a 60 point player that can dominate.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The comparable given to him was Blake Wheeler, and I think that's still apt.

His AHL numbers are close to William Nylander.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Good tools but no idea how to use them. Reminds me of MacKinnon. At least MacKinnon had the advantage of being English speaking so can communicate with team mates.

Once Pulju learns to communicate with his teammates he'll be a 60 point player that can dominate.

I'll take a Nathan MacKinnon type player at no.4 any day, lol.

MacKinnon playing with McDavid would be lights out.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Jesse has a lot more hockey sense than Nail. Nail basically tries to play like Ovechkin but doesn't have any of the higher end abilities to do so. Puljujarvi on the other hand has pretty good vision/patience to make plays, Nail was always doing weird crap like firing a normal pass at 100 mph.

Puljujarvi was a +5 in 28 NHL games this year, Yakupov was -4 and then followed up by -33 and -35 campaigns, lol. Nail was even -2 in Sarnia his rookie year despite putting up 100+ points, which is pretty hard to pull off.

Yakupov was only -4 on a horrendous Oilers team. Puljujarvi benefited from playing on a much better team that apparently thought they were better off with him not even on the team. Oilers destroyed Yakupov's confidence and he's no longer half the player he was at 18 y/o.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Yakupov was only -4 on a horrendous Oilers team. Puljujarvi benefited from playing on a much better team that apparently thought they were better off with him not even on the team. Oilers destroyed Yakupov's confidence and he's no longer half the player he was at 18 y/o.

Why are we still talking about Yakupov? The only comparison between the two is that the Oilers drafted them both. They are very different players.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Actually Yakupov was sheltered by Ralph Krueger who's a very good defensive oriented coach (see: last year's World Cup). Once he had to play without sheltering he was a disaster. He's been a minus player every where too -- OHL, KHL, NHL. He's only had one plus season in his entire career, that was his draft year in Sarnia.

In any case, if Nail Yakupov was a little smarter and 6 foot 4 ... he'd likely even with all his warts be a solid NHL forward.

Puljujarvi has hockey I.Q. at least a couple of notches beyond Yakupov.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Actually Yakupov was sheltered by Ralph Krueger who's a very good defensive oriented coach (see: last year's World Cup). Once he had to play without sheltering he was a disaster. He's been a minus player every where too -- OHL, KHL, NHL. He's only had one plus season in his entire career, that was his draft year in Sarnia.

In any case, if Nail Yakupov was a little smarter and 6 foot 4 ... he'd likely even with all his warts be a solid NHL forward.

Puljujarvi has hockey I.Q. at least a couple of notches beyond Yakupov.

Puljujarvi was just as sheltered as Yakupov... And sheltered Yakupov was still able to score more goals in 48 NHL games than Puljujarvi could in 28 NHL + 39 AHL games. Honestly Yakupov had much better offensive tools at 18 y/o than Puljujarvi, it's actually shocking to me how bad he is now.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
ahlforwards.png

His 18 year old AHL season is very comparable to William Nylander.

What's the problem? Not even 18 year old kid is an immediate superstar, the Oilers should know that better than most as many people here wrote Draisaitl off after his first few games.

Play him with McDavid once he gets a little more strength and adjusts to the game here a little better and there's a good chance the numbers will come.
I agree. He looked pretty solid with McDavid for a while.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Puljujarvi was just as sheltered as Yakupov... And sheltered Yakupov was still able to score more goals in 48 NHL games than Puljujarvi could in 28 NHL + 39 AHL games. Honestly Yakupov had much better offensive tools at 18 y/o than Puljujarvi, it's actually shocking to me how bad he is now.

Nail has some elite aspects to his game ... he is just that dumb hockey I.Q. wise.

Jesse is just going through a growing process, if he sucks at 18 then so did William Nylander as their AHL production is virtually identical.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree. He looked pretty solid with McDavid for a while.

McDavid's only hat trick in his career thus far actually came with Puljujarvi on his wing. So yeah, I think they will do well together long term.

Jesse doesn't need to be a perfect player, McDavid makes Patrick Maroon look like an All-Star caliber player.

So that's also a huge advantage down the line for Puljujarvi -- McDavid will likely drive some extra points his way, then you get confidence, and then we know how that movie goes. Jesse just needs to put his head down and pay his dues a little bit.

Learn English, work on your lower body strength, eventually you'll get your shot with McDavid and good things will happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad