What's the major issue limiting Puljujärvi?

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
How did Puljujarvi manage to put up a quite respectable 28 points in 50 games (plus a further 9 in 10 playoff games during his draft year)? I'm not saying the above criticisms are wrong (I concur with the IQ and puck handling ones), but those are hard numbers for a 17-year old to put up, are they not?

LoveHateLeafs

Jul 7, 2009
Based on watching Finland's semi-final and bronze medal games, I'd say that Puljujarvi's game has improved over the course of the year. Other than his stupid penalty that led to a goal against, I wouldn't say there were many specific mistakes he made. Most of his play was competent but definitely not brilliant. Two things that seemed like potential improvements to my (untrained) eye:

1) Try playing with a shorter stick: Some guys, like Laine and Aho can play with really long stick and use them to gain an advantage. Puljujarvi plays with a really long stick but he doesn't really use the extra reach to his advantage and it looks like it has a detrimental effect on his puck handling, puck battles and ability to get his shots off quickly. Those extra inches on the stick may come in handy when taking a slapshot, but it looks as though he has no clue what to do with them the rest of the time.

2) Improve Conditioning: It's obvious he gets tired too early in his shifts, although maybe if he was a smarter player he wouldn't spend so much time chasing the puck and would have more energy. Hopefully this can be remedied with training, although I know it has been a criticism of Puljujarvi for years.

These aren't the main things holding him back, but they're relatively easy fixes compared to things like improving hockey IQ.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
2) Improve Conditioning: It's obvious he gets tired too early in his shifts, although maybe if he was a smarter player he wouldn't spend so much time chasing the puck and would have more energy. Hopefully this can be remedied with training, although I know it has been a criticism of Puljujarvi for years.

It's definitely not conditioning unless he lost his 76 VO2max over the year? he's very inefficient on the ice, that was something I really noticed when witnessing Laine vs Pulju before the draft; because in contrast Laine used to have trouble skating but was extremely efficient in when to skate and how to position himself.

Pulju never dealt with the adversity of having to learn to be more efficient before.

Also his knee surgery could be a factor.

Last edited:

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
How did Puljujarvi manage to put up a quite respectable 28 points in 50 games (plus a further 9 in 10 playoff games during his draft year)? I'm not saying the above criticisms are wrong (I concur with the IQ and puck handling ones), but those are hard numbers for a 17-year old to put up, are they not?
He played most of the season with Aho as his center. They had great chemistry there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Based on watching Finland's semi-final and bronze medal games, I'd say that Puljujarvi's game has improved over the course of the year. Other than his stupid penalty that led to a goal against, I wouldn't say there were many specific mistakes he made. Most of his play was competent but definitely not brilliant. Two things that seemed like potential improvements to my (untrained) eye:

1) Try playing with a shorter stick: Some guys, like Laine and Aho can play with really long stick and use them to gain an advantage. Puljujarvi plays with a really long stick but he doesn't really use the extra reach to his advantage and it looks like it has a detrimental effect on his puck handling, puck battles and ability to get his shots off quickly. Those extra inches on the stick may come in handy when taking a slapshot, but it looks as though he has no clue what to do with them the rest of the time.

These aren't the main things holding him back, but they're relatively easy fixes compared to things like improving hockey IQ.

I'm putting that on his offseason knee surgery and few hits his knee took this year.
He has been known for his training& conditioning in the past.

1st point absolutely he should try.

I'm just waiting to see how he reacts to natural growth and pro level training this offseason and in the next few years. He still has that awkward look and doesn't look comfortable in his 6'4 frame.
Coordination isn't at it's best and so on. His still very raw.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
^ The trend among (Finnish) top prospects and used-to-be-prospects seems to be this frigging long stick looking like a clumsy rake in their hands. Barky came up with this "innovation" as far as I know; and the rest of the guys followed the suit. But Pulju got - and the pun intended (drums....) --- the short end of the stick in this strange evolutionary sub chapter of the game; and he just hasn't been able to adjust his game optimally as regards playing with a frigging rake as Barky did, like some robotic master of parallel universe...

One more note, in addition to this rake thing and conditioning: It is a fact that a big goofy horse type of a player like Pulju needs also time just to find his legs and arms and then to put them all together. That is only obvious, I know. But one should never underestimate the significance of individual differences in the time it takes for different athletes to achieve this, and a certain body type like a "big goofy horse" type a la Pulju really needs time to find his groove. So, time, time and one more time (pun intended) time.

Last edited:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
He's a young man with size, he is also very young just turning 19. Give him another year. Some Finnish players need more time like a Barkov did before he exploded into the player he is now.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
That knee surgery can be career crippling

Yeah, Dr., you're clearly not biased.

I'd bet that McDavid banks enough pucks off of Pulj to get another Art Ross in the next couple of years.

PS: Love the fact that the Art Ross player plays in Edmonton. Any bets as to him winning the Hart or Lindsay? Both have been voted on, and he's in the top three for both of them.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah, Dr., you're clearly not biased.

I'd bet that McDavid banks enough pucks off of Pulj to get another Art Ross in the next couple of years.

PS: Love the fact that the Art Ross player plays in Edmonton. Any bets as to him winning the Hart or Lindsay? Both have been voted on, and he's in the top three for both of them.

What does mcdavid have anything to do in a Puljujarvi thread or puljujarvis knee surgery

victor

Sep 6, 2003
What does mcdavid have anything to do in a Puljujarvi thread or puljujarvis knee surgery

As posted by "DownGoesMcDavid?"

If anything, in a few years, it'll be Puljujarvi is a product of the Hart, Art Ross, Lindsay trophy winning captain of the Oilers. I'm cool with that - I remember another Finn who was the product of an Oiler centre. Good times.

Watching Puljujarvi reminds me of watching Draisaitl play the first year. That was what, two years ago?

PS: Really want to hear your thoughts on McDavid winning the Hart and the Lindsay. Really.

ijk

Oct 3, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Every scouting report ever - Puljujarvi has great hockey IQ
Leafs fans - He lacks hockey IQ

Count me in as a Finn and an Oiler fan who thinks his IQ is his biggest detriment. His positioning and all hustle no brain playing style accompanied with his bad stick handling skills (this year, not during previous years) have resulted in what we have just seen this year: A player who is lost on most shifts and who is really hard to use by his linemates. In the past it was Aho's high IQ that made Pulju partly effective. Now when he is playing with linemates that do not have generational IQ he is lost. This was partly visible already at last years WJC where he was able to find success due to his size and speed, as well as by the help of Aho and Laine who both finished quite a few of his plays and weak shots (his shot is also a weakness in the sense that he lacks consistent killer finnish).

I know I will get angry replies, and I do know that he is young. However, the fundamental problems between him and young Drai are different. Drai improved his physical tools which were lacking. Pulju's problem is that he neeeds to improve his IQ and his English. Some posters may be optimistic, but I have concerns on him reaching the his ceiling. Even before last years draft I thought his playing style would lead him to become a successful workhorse and not a bonafide star. The only way he will become a "star" is if someone else does the heavy lifting for him on his line, meaning finishing his plays and actually being able to find him (I still have hope that he will learn to position himself correctly in the O-zone).

All things considered, Aho and Laine are more successful and more able to cope because they are also more intelligent (on and off the ice).

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer

Oh, and my bibliography goes as follows:

Fel 2015-2016
WJC u20 2016
Edmonton 2016-17
WHC 2017

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
His major limiting issue? The fact he turned 19 years old this month...

It sorta sucks for Puljujarvi that Matthews and Laine did so well in the NHL because it makes Pulju look like a bust when he really isn't.

He's tracking around how a 4th overall pick should be.

Marner: Not in NHL at age 18/19.
Bennett: Still finding his way in the NHL.
Johansen: Didn't crack the NHL until 19/20 but struggled early on.
Kane: Thrown into the NHL at age 18 and put up 26 pts in 66 games.
Puljujarvi: 8 pts in 28 NHL games, 28 in 39 AHL games.

Oiler fans shouldn't be worried at all

Noldo

May 28, 2007
I kinda agree with ijk's analysis based on my limited viewing during the worlds. Especially early on Puljujärvi appeared to chase game awfully lot. Some (or all?) of it could be attributable to big ice and Marjamäki's system, but it still seemed surprising that he seemed to struggle that much with the reading of the game.

Once he got back in lineup during the tournament, he seemed to try to make plays a bit too much himself, did not look like a player who easily and effectively uses his linemates but like one who really really wants to score himself. Could of course be a symptom of Puljujärvi being among the few Finnish players who tried to make straightforward plays towards the net, so linemates were not that involved.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Count me in as a Finn and an Oiler fan who thinks his IQ is his biggest detriment. His positioning and all hustle no brain playing style accompanied with his bad stick handling skills (this year, not during previous years) have resulted in what we have just seen this year: A player who is lost on most shifts and who is really hard to use by his linemates. In the past it was Aho's high IQ that made Pulju partly effective. Now when he is playing with linemates that do not have generational IQ he is lost. This was partly visible already at last years WJC where he was able to find success due to his size and speed, as well as by the help of Aho and Laine who both finished quite a few of his plays and weak shots (his shot is also a weakness in the sense that he lacks consistent killer finnish).

I know I will get angry replies, and I do know that he is young. However, the fundamental problems between him and young Drai are different. Drai improved his physical tools which were lacking. Pulju's problem is that he neeeds to improve his IQ and his English. Some posters may be optimistic, but I have concerns on him reaching the his ceiling. Even before last years draft I thought his playing style would lead him to become a successful workhorse and not a bonafide star. The only way he will become a "star" is if someone else does the heavy lifting for him on his line, meaning finishing his plays and actually being able to find him (I still have hope that he will learn to position himself correctly in the O-zone).

All things considered, Aho and Laine are more successful and more able to cope because they are also more intelligent (on and off the ice).

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer

Oh, and my bibliography goes as follows:

Fel 2015-2016
WJC u20 2016
Edmonton 2016-17
WHC 2017

This IQ thing, oh boy. But admittedly you make a persuasive case. Somehow I often think this force of nature called Pulju should have played on a different era; he would fit much better in the old "rumble in the jungle" kinda hockey of the 80s.

The kid surely looks quite lost occasionally; on the bench and on the ice. Well, he should turn out to be a solid bottom 6 workhorse, at least, even in the worst case scenario.

Last edited:

BakedYams

Jan 14, 2017
I'm positive Jesse could have put up decent numbers if he was gifted first line minutes like previous rookies on the Oilers have. But McLellan sought otherwise and I trust his judgement. Jesse had a missed offseason of conditioning thanks to his knee surgery which takes a while to recover from. Then he reinjured it in an NHL game. Apparently he had another minor injury in practice at the WC to his knee. A healthy offseason should do him a world of good.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
His major limiting issue? The fact he turned 19 years old this month...

It sorta sucks for Puljujarvi that Matthews and Laine did so well in the NHL because it makes Pulju look like a bust when he really isn't.

He's tracking around how a 4th overall pick should be.

Marner: Not in NHL at age 18/19.
Bennett: Still finding his way in the NHL.
Johansen: Didn't crack the NHL until 19/20 but struggled early on.
Kane: Thrown into the NHL at age 18 and put up 26 pts in 66 games.
Puljujarvi: 8 pts in 28 NHL games, 28 in 39 AHL games.

Oiler fans shouldn't be worried at all

Watching him I say they should, but it wouldn't be the first time a big guy looks clumsy when young - for then to suddenly get it together.

As for his IQ I think that is partly a confidence issue as well.

Overall he is just a big question mark for me right now. I could see him becoming a beast driving a first line with size and skill or he just slowly fades into a 3-4th line role somewhere.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
It's okay. We're aware that Canucks have plenty of those. Damn, Virtanen must hurt :sarcasm:.

I could have placed a quite big bet on the Canucks picking Nylander there... A skilled young swede who happens to be a right shooter and therefore perfect to be mentored by the Sedins on their line for the remainer of their NHL careers... then or earlier maybe ready for centering a line of his own... but they went with the "stronger" and more ready prospect. That often seem to be a bad choice. At least when the worry is that a newly turned 18 kid ain´t muscular enough...

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Jesse definitely have issues with his condition. He is a strange player because obvioysly he is a good playmaker but have iq issues. You can clearly see that his vision is great he sees teammates well and can pull off great passes but his positioning is bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad