What's the major issue limiting Puljujärvi?

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
He needs to learn to use his elite physical tools at a NHL level. All the tools are there, but he hasnt learned to use them in a highly intelligent way. YET.

Time in the AHL will be very important for JP. He needs development. He has all the tools, just needs to put it together. Needs good coaching and lots of ice time in the minors imo.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Doubt this thread exists if he'd played in the CHL all year. He just turned 19. Give him a chance.

He had a very important development year where he had to make a huge adjustment to his game and lifestyle.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Yeayea justifications like that can be made for anyone ever.

Sure, but it's perfectly suitable to supplement Nylander's numbers with added context considering how rare it is to see a draft+1 player going from Euro hockey to NA hockey in the middle of a season. I mean, most HF users who watched the games made a note of it as well, especially highlighted in this thread when he came over to play in the AHL for the first time; http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1824729

Last edited:

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I trust jarmo more than I trust posters here saying he is fine..same.posters who are just stat watching.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Every scouting report ever - Puljujarvi has great hockey IQ
Leafs fans - He lacks hockey IQ

victor

Sep 6, 2003
Doubt this thread exists if he'd played in the CHL all year. He just turned 19. Give him a chance.

He had a very important development year where he had to make a huge adjustment to his game and lifestyle.

This, and remember that Chiarelli apparently made a deal with his agent to keep him on the roster for more than 40 games, for both salary and burning an RFA year reasons. He ended up playing 28 games, selectively by McLellan. He then played 39 games with the Condors in the AHL, and played well according to his coach.

Personally, I'd like for him to start in the AHL, as Draisaitl did in 2015-16. Draisaitl had 2 points in 6 games, and was called up to the big club and got 51 in 72. Some players need time, and it's better to give them the experience at the AHL level before earning it at the NHL level.

Davo Ikinzom

Nov 28, 2013
Ridiculous. Now he has a "major issue" which is limiting him, based on what? Because he wasn't gifted a spot on the Oilers roster this year?

lawrence

May 19, 2012
don't think anything is holding him back, infact I think CBJ is going to regret not drafting this kid.

give him another year, and he will be NHL ready.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I trust jarmo more than I trust posters here saying he is fine..same.posters who are just stat watching.
You're a Canucks fan who has done nothing but crap on the Oilers since you signed up here. I think I'll trust myself and others who actually watched JP extensively over the past year.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
You're a Canucks fan who has done nothing but crap on the Oilers since you signed up here. I think I'll trust myself and others who actually watched JP extensively over the past year.

Past year??

Jarmo probably has at least 8 yrs of hard scouting on JP.

I'm not putting my money on myself as I would just be basing my opinion on stats and about 15 games I saw him play in the pros. But I'm putting my stick on Jarmo who is not a believer at all with JP..

Like I said, IQ ,positioning , fundamentals and motor are all at about an echl/ahl level right now.

Physical tools such as skating and frame are definitely nhl level tho.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Past year??

Jarmo probably has at least 8 yrs of hard scouting on JP.

I'm not putting my money on myself as I would just be basing my opinion on stats and about 15 games I saw him play in the pros. But I'm putting my stick on Jarmo who is not a believer at all with JP..

Like I said, IQ ,positioning , fundamentals and motor are all at about an echl/ahl level right now.

Physical tools such as skating and frame are definitely nhl level tho.
Yes, the past year.

You don't know why Columbus took Dubois but it's already been pointed out that they went with a centre. What's your excuse for Jarmo passing on Aho?

The bold is flat out bs. It's like you've never actually watched the player or read a scouting report on him. No surprise at all that you would overreact about the deficiences in a 19-year-old's game because of who he happens to play for.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Past year??

Jarmo probably has at least 8 yrs of hard scouting on JP..

Yeah if Jarmo was in Finland 8 years ago watching ten year olds play. :help:

But the guy has been involved in the big leagues. And since 2013 has been GM of the Blue jackets.

He wouldn't have seen Finnish prospects play live much more often than any other GM during this time.

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
He's not quite a bust yet, but his ceiling is clearly not as high at Laine's..

80+ pts for him is highly unlikely.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Sad how people write players off so early. He hasn't even had a 'real' shot at the NHL yet and his ceiling is 15g-30a?!?!?

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Now, I love Puljujärvi and his chirpy attitude and I really want him to live up to the hype and succeed. I think he can still do that, he is only 19 after all.

However, he has seemed to struggle for most of this season. Granted, it's very rare for a person to be NHL ready at his age, especially if they're from outside North America and don't speak English fluently, which is the case with Puljujärvi. He did better in the AHL but didn't really dominate, as some expected. This could be because of poor quality teammates however. He has also been quite invisible in the WC this year, he doesn't really make any bad plays but he simply seems to vanish whenever he is on ice. Handles the puck like a live grenade, as one poster pointed out.

What do you think is the major problem for Puljujärvi? Do you think he'll become the player he was projected to be?

At this point I still think it's purely mental, his season has been very hectic and obviously it draining when you have to adapt to a new culture and language. Luckily his English has seemed to improve, it's still quite crude but at least he can get the point across. I think he'll be better prepared when next season.

A sample of his current English skills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmDcsSGT6VM

Nothing is wrong wit him, he hasn't even played a full season and we're questioning him already. Yikes.

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014
I think confidence goes a long way for a player such as JP. He'll come back next year ready to contribute to the nhl or light up the ahl Imo. He was touted similarily to Laine a couple years ago, even ahead of him before their draft year. I truly think he just needs time to develop and grow into the player he will become.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Sure, but it's perfectly suitable to supplement Nylander's numbers with added context considering how rare it is to see a draft+1 player going from Euro hockey to NA hockey in the middle of a season. I mean, most HF users who watched the games made a note of it as well, especially highlighted in this thread when he came over to play in the AHL for the first time; http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1824729

That's fair, I mean he obviously turned out great.

I hope Pulju will take a similiar path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad