What's the major issue limiting Puljujärvi?

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
His major limiting issue? The fact he turned 19 years old this month...

It sorta sucks for Puljujarvi that Matthews and Laine did so well in the NHL because it makes Pulju look like a bust when he really isn't.

He's tracking around how a 4th overall pick should be.

Marner: Not in NHL at age 18/19.
Bennett: Still finding his way in the NHL.
Johansen: Didn't crack the NHL until 19/20 but struggled early on.
Kane: Thrown into the NHL at age 18 and put up 26 pts in 66 games.
Puljujarvi: 8 pts in 28 NHL games, 28 in 39 AHL games.

Oiler fans shouldn't be worried at all

Then there's also Scheifele.. and even better: Wheeler!! who he's been compared to

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Watching him I say they should, but it wouldn't be the first time a big guy looks clumsy when young - for then to suddenly get it together.

As for his IQ I think that is partly a confidence issue as well.

Overall he is just a big question mark for me right now. I could see him becoming a beast driving a first line with size and skill or he just slowly fades into a 3-4th line role somewhere.

I agree. I still remember the play Pulju made on the second Finland goal in the finals of the u20s, and to me that's not a play that a low IQ player makes.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The guy's still young, give him a few yrs. to properly develop and he'll be a very good player.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I'm glad people are coming around in seeing that JP lacks hockey iq. It's so evident.

I think he will bust in terms of his draft position but I also think he will be a solid 3rd line contributer to a team.

As I said , based on my limited 15 games or so viewing this year .. it seems JP has very limited iq, positioning is way off and his effort/motor/fitness whatever you want to call it is at a AHL ECHL level right now. He has also looked less agressive and forceful since his knee injuries. Does not look good.

I think the Oilers should get value for him and package him w. Eberle to get a top 4D. Trading either one by themselves won't really get them a dmen that's better than sekeraj or Russell so what's the point.

Granlundwillshine

Oct 15, 2013
he has the tools of a star player but does he have the toolbox? im afraid he will never be the player he was projected due to his lack of hockey IQ.. maybe thats the reason kekäläinen passed on him

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
PuljuParty is gonna be alright. As someone said, he has never faced real adversity in his career, like other young Finns (Laine, etc) have faced. That being said, having watched every Finland game this year for the world champs, he is definitely lacking confidence.

I hope he can get the same training that Mikael Granlund got, work on his skating and his strength.
Anyways, I'm confident Pulju won't be a bust. But IHMO, it's whether he will be a top 6 forward or a bottom 6 forward. Time will tell.

Granlundwillshine

Oct 15, 2013
His IQ is questionable, bad puck protection, horrible puck handling, bad shooting and non-existent physical play. He was drafted too high due to him dominating against juniors with way too little sample size. The comparisons to Laine were ridiculous... the one was MVP in the FEL playoffs while Pulju was a rotation player.

He actually has a great shot, agree with the rest

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
I'm glad people are coming around in seeing that JP lacks hockey iq. It's so evident.

I think he will bust in terms of his draft position but I also think he will be a solid 3rd line contributer to a team.

As I said , based on my limited 15 games or so viewing this year .. it seems JP has very limited iq, positioning is way off and his effort/motor/fitness whatever you want to call it is at a AHL ECHL level right now. He has also looked less agressive and forceful since his knee injuries. Does not look good.

I think the Oilers should get value for him and package him w. Eberle to get a top 4D. Trading either one by themselves won't really get them a dmen that's better than sekeraj or Russell so what's the point.

I really dont know does he lack iq. I think his passing/playmaking skills are great. Watch his u-18. He definitely lacks defensive iq/positioning but he can be also super creative. It would be nice to know what part he lacks.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

They don't need a top 2 but they could probably get one better than russel for one of them. And sekera is injured so I guess that would be the point of trading Eberle plus cap reasons

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Most of this isn't his hockey IQ, it was that he was playing in the NHL when he wasn't ready to. Simple as that. Giving up on him now would be a mistake, we already have a horrible prospect pool, to give up Pool Party just because he isn't tearing up the NHL as an 18 year old is incredibly short sighted and how bad management operates.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

I don't think anyone is being impatient and calling him a total bust player that won't make the nhl but I also think it's fair that ppl are questioning his development and his game today especially after knee surgery.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Most of this isn't his hockey IQ, it was that he was playing in the NHL when he wasn't ready to. Simple as that. Giving up on him now would be a mistake, we already have a horrible prospect pool, to give up Pool Party just because he isn't tearing up the NHL as an 18 year old is incredibly short sighted and how bad management operates.

But the flip side to that is you stay patient with him and he turns out to be a bust and Oilers get nothing in return for him like Yakupov.

At least if u packaged him now he still has value and some GMs can be sold on the idea that this was just an adjustment year for JP.

Knowing what we know now of yakupov...how happy would Oiler fans be if he was traded a few yrs ago when it seemed like just 1 bad yr. ..they would have received a good return.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't think Puljujarvi is a guy who will drive a line on his own, but he's someone who can have success at the NHL level playing with a good center, and the Oilers have two of them in McDavid and Draisaitl.

The Yakupov comparisons are overblown ... Jesse has generally been a plus player over his career, Nail was not, Jesse is 6'4, Nail was 5'10. Jesse is a much better playmaker and has better awareness on the ice.

He has flaws in his game he needs to work on ... like 95% of 18 year olds. His AHL production is similar to William Nylander and Filip Forsberg.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
The dudes a 18/19 year old adjusting to pretty much everything on and off ice. How the hell is this such a hard idea to grasp ?

This is HFBoards discussing prospects in a nutshell. Can we just get a button that posts

"Seems talented but CLEARLY poor hockey IQ/ compete level/ all tools no toolbox"

Just to save time when trying to sound like a prospect evaluator ?

Could he just be learning/adjusting or maybe having confidence issues ? Na. Poor hockey iq. He's a bust

Last edited:

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If you read the thread there are lots of posters who have watched and followed him all year and all career who are also voicing they're concern.

And less than a year ago there were a lot of posters who were watching him and considered him to be on par with Laine. There are surely some flags but Puljujarvi had a lot of growth this past season learning the NA game..

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Age and experience. Not every player is ready to play in the NHL at 18/19. It shouldn't be seen as a negative when a young player requires additional seasoning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad