OT: Whatcha Playin? 4.0

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I got yesterdays name in six tries. Todays was a bit better:

Edit: I tried posting the little indicator of your tries, but it creates a link to the gordle puzzle with it solved, so I removed it so I wouldn't ruin it for anyone. Anyway, I got it first try.

No - it's the same as Wordle, where if you've solved the puzzle for the day it shows your own puzzle. Like if you posted that link, it would take me to my puzzle because I also played today, and if someone hasn't played it'll be blank.

Reactions: DaveG and MinJaBen

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
No - it's the same as Wordle, where if you've solved the puzzle for the day it shows your own puzzle. Like if you posted that link, it would take me to my puzzle because I also played today, and if someone hasn't played it'll be blank.
Good to know. I hadn't seen the wordle solution post a link before, so this was a one-off for me so far.

Reactions: DaveG

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
For those still playing Gordle, I've found Koivu and Laine to be the best starting points. You get all the vowels covered, plus some common other letters like L, N, and K.

This is outstanding thank you.

I’m collecting 5 letter names into my repertoire as I think of them and as they become actual answers.

I’ve been starting with “Oates” but your Laine/Koivu combo is way better.

(Today’s Gordle was the easiest yet IMO.)

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I finally broke down and bought an overpriced PS5 from a reseller because the whole Twitter alert thing trying to buy whenever there was a restock had me ready to fire my iphone through the window. So been playing Ghosts of Fukishima. Pretty cool samurai game.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I finally broke down and bought an overpriced PS5 from a reseller because the whole Twitter alert thing trying to buy whenever there was a restock had me ready to fire my iphone through the window. So been playing Ghosts of Fukishima. Pretty cool samurai game.

horizon forbidden west, elden ring (if you are into soulsborne games), and gran turismo 7 all coming out in the next ~month

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
My Gordle streak broke a day or two ago (I believe the answer was Zubov or something like that).

But now I'm fairly confident in starting with 3 names. Koivu, Laine, and Smyth. Gets all the vowels, including Y, and gets you K,L,N,M,S,T, and H, all of which are all fairly common letters otherwise.

Then it's usually using the last two/three chances rearranging the 5 letters you've likely already revealed.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
My Gordle streak broke a day or two ago (I believe the answer was Zubov or something like that).

But now I'm fairly confident in starting with 3 names. Koivu, Laine, and Smyth. Gets all the vowels, including Y, and gets you K,L,N,M,S,T, and H, all of which are all fairly common letters otherwise.

Then it's usually using the last two/three chances rearranging the 5 letters you've likely already revealed.

I’m still undefeated and got Zubov in 3 thanks to your Koivu recommendation (unlucky day to steer away from that as a starter).

Ennis somehow took me all 6 a few days ago. Managed to guess CBJ legend Marc Denis before the guy that’s actually still in the league.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I’m still undefeated and got Zubov in 3 thanks to your Koivu recommendation (unlucky day to steer away from that as a starter).

Ennis somehow took me all 6 a few days ago. Managed to guess CBJ legend Marc Denis before the guy that’s actually still in the league.

Ones like Fiala were also difficult, just because Laine revealed 3 of the letters, and you'd think you need two more, so you keep searching.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Leivo and Faulk still working for me as my first two guesses.

upload_2022-2-3_14-40-59.png

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
On this same conversation, I recently changed my Wordle strategy up due to being outperformed by my coworkers. I'm still undefeated in both games, and very consistently get the Wordle in 4 (probably 75% of the time). But I have this one coworker that always seems to get 3! So instead of always starting with "Rated" and then "Loins" (all of RSTLNE, 4 of 5 vowels), I start with "Stare" and then actually play off of what info I get from "Stare" instead of robotically tying myself to the same second word every time. This has resulted in a few more 5s and 6s, but I'm much more likely to get it in 3 as well and seem impressive to my coworkers.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
On this same conversation, I recently changed my Wordle strategy up due to being outperformed by my coworkers. I'm still undefeated in both games, and very consistently get the Wordle in 4 (probably 75% of the time). But I have this one coworker that always seems to get 3! So instead of always starting with "Rated" and then "Loins" (all of RSTLNE, 4 of 5 vowels), I start with "Stare" and then actually play off of what info I get from "Stare" instead of robotically tying myself to the same second word every time. This has resulted in a few more 5s and 6s, but I'm much more likely to get it in 3 as well and seem impressive to my coworkers.

if you really want to seem impressive, just do it on one device normally, then type the answer in on the second device and get 1/1 every time. turn on hard mode for the asterisk to REALLY show them you mean business

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
As far as spin-offs go, "Absurdle" is very, very clever, and Dordle is a bit fun and silly as well.

(I've gotten Absurdle in 5. It says in its own rules that the best possible game is to get it in 4.)

Reactions: MinJaBen

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

I played ten times, got it in 2 the last time, said to myself "it won't get better than this" and used social fixer to block all mention of wordle from now on.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
As far as spin-offs go, "Absurdle" is very, very clever, and Dordle is a bit fun and silly as well.

(I've gotten Absurdle in 5. It says in its own rules that the best possible game is to get it in 4.)
Hadn't heard of those. Thanks for pointing them out!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad