GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Can the Leafs pull Byfield from LA for Marner? Future 2C that the Leafs hopefully can lock up long term. 8x$7.5 mill AAV?

Marner + Liljegren for Kempe + Byfield?

Tre should take that deal and run, but I don't see why LA would do it...Kempe is pretty clutch in the playoffs, and Marner ain't exactly Wayne.

Reactions: kinghock

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Fixing this blueline could be a longer process than just one off season. It sounds like they want to resign McCabe. We need a defensive right shot and a #1 D somehow. I think Pesce is a no brainer this off season and the only other decent option I see is Roy. I really hope we get one of these guys in FA and if we dont that would be pretty upsetting.
Is it really though? Outside of game 1 the Leafs defense was pretty solid through the series especially games 5 to 7 when they did a really good job of shutting down the Bruins offense much of the time. If the Leafs could score worth a damn at all they'd be playing in the 2nd round right now.

If you can sign someone like a Pesce to play with Rielly then hopefully that will end the 'find someone to play with Rielly' carousel for good. Even better still if you can move Rielly for some good assets then you free up some dollars to sign someone better defensively.

Reactions: aingefan

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I see a lot of people talking about defensive upgrades and I'm certainly not opposed to a top 4 upgrade but the problem with this team is scoring during the playoffs

It's ******* pathetic, tons of offensive talent and it produces jack **** when it counts and the secondary scoring is non existent

If we trade Marner I think we should prioritize a scoring center and some net front guys, those are definitely holes on the roster imo

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I don’t disagree but I would argue one the biggest failures of our offense in the playoffs is having D who can’t contribute offensively.

Whether that is a point shot on the power play or the puck moving skills to breakdown the tightness of playoff hockey to unlock the forwards.

Reactions: SprDaVE and horner

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
3 team deal. Leafs tell Tavares they want to trade him, dont want to re-sign him. JT's agent searches for a team that he likes and will take Tavares at 50% retained this year plus give him an extension. Tavares accepts he might as well move his family now since he's not comig back after next season anyways. This works unless Tavares is Leafs or retire.

SJ retains 50% of Tavares' deal, Leafs send a first

Some team trades for Tavares, Leafs get a pick (maybe a 2nd??)

Significant shake up to the team and cap situation.

Terrible. We are giving up a first to move Tavares when his contract is up in a year?

And we replace him with? Holmberg?

Think people.

Kampf has been a good soldier but probably needs to be a priority for Tre to move. Dewar looks more than capable of handing sheltered 4th line usage, and the team has more or less abandoned treating the third line as a shutdown unit.

We move Marner, we move Kampf, we move Jarnkrok…. Keep in mind, that’s our top three PK forwards…. Bodies coming in need to play the PK.

Reactions: 4thline

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I somehow missed the Hunter to Columbus rumour, if that comes to fruition that becomes the main focus of a Marner deal. Hunter will want him, Hunter will be willing to pay him, Marner trusts Hunter, Marner gets to be a really big fish in a small, low pressure pond, hour and half flight back to Toronto.

Asset wise, great fit. Even if they take all of Fantilli/Jiricek/Mateychuk/4 overall and their preference of Sillinger/Johnson off of the table, there's still

One of Sillinger/Johnson

A group of young contributing forwards with varied upside
Chinakov
Marchenko
Voronkov
Texier

A solid group of prospects
Brindley
Del Bel Belluz
Ceulemans
Svozil
Dumais

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I see a lot of people talking about defensive upgrades and I'm certainly not opposed to a top 4 upgrade but the problem with this team is scoring during the playoffs

It's ******* pathetic, tons of offensive talent and it produces jack **** when it counts and the secondary scoring is non existent

If we trade Marner I think we should prioritize a scoring center and some net front guys, those are definitely holes on the roster imo

Scoring has been an issue, and a huge part of that is the core 4 not carrying their weight. Another factor is their cap hits prevent us from paying quality depth scoring. The solution seems pretty obvious, doesn’t it?

I will add, though, that a lack of skill on the blueline has hurt our ability to get in offense.

Reactions: supermann_98

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I somehow missed the Hunter to Columbus rumour, if that comes to fruition that becomes the main focus of a Marner deal. Hunter will want him, Hunter will be willing to pay him, Marner trusts Hunter, Marner gets to be a really big fish in a small, low pressure pond, hour and half flight back to Toronto.

Asset wise, great fit. Even if they take all of Fantilli/Jiricek/Mateychuk/4 overall and their preference of Sillinger/Johnson off of the table, there's still

One of Sillinger/Johnson

Chinakov
Marchenko
Voronkov
Texier

Brindley
Del Bel Belluz
Ceulemans
Svozil
Dumais
I think Columbus could include that entire prospect list and the Leafs lose the deal. You’d need one of Jiricek or 4OA.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I think Columbus could include that entire prospect list and the Leafs lose the deal. You’d need one of Jiricek or 4OA.
It's not about winning or losing a deal, it's about making that deal that between the return and the cap space we end up in a better position to build a team that can go on deep playoff runs.

In any case, one of Kent Johnson/ Sillinger is that prime level asset

If we were to get a package of one of them + a Russian + Ceulemans prior to July 1 we'd be in incredible shape to retool on the fly and come back a deeper, more balanced team.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
It's not about winning or losing a deal, it's about making that deal that between the return and the cap space we end up in a better position to build a team that can go on deep playoff runs.

Sillinger is not a prime asset and KJ is leaning in the same direction.

I should qualify that I am low on them. They could be better than I think.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Can the Leafs pull Byfield from LA for Marner? Future 2C that the Leafs hopefully can lock up long term. 8x$7.5 mill AAV?

Marner + Liljegren for Kempe + Byfield?
Kopitiar is 36 years old, Byfield plays both center and wing (he looks better on the wing) -- I highly doubt they move Byfield when it's almost the end for Kopitar.

Reactions: kinghock

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

One of Sillinger/Johnson

Chinakov
Marchenko
Voronkov
Texier

Brindley
Del Bel Belluz
Ceulemans
Svozil
Dumais

A team who has $9.75 mil, and $8.7 mil already tied up in wingers, will want an $11 mil winger as well? When their best C is Boone Jenner?

Trading assets for another winger, would be about the dumbest thing Columbus could do.

horner

May 22, 2007

Fixing this blueline could be a longer process than just one off season. It sounds like they want to resign McCabe. We need a defensive right shotte and a #1 D somehow. I think Pesce is a no brainer this off season and the only other decent option I see is Roy. I really hope we get one of these guys in FA and if we dont that would be pretty upsetting.
It will take 2 season not until HT's contract is up.
Next year Sign 2 UFA's dman
It will give treliving time to find that top pairing dman
We have never build this defense it will take time.
In 2 yrs we should have some young tradable assets to trade.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto

Playoff scoring dries up due to our players not wanting to get to the middle of the ice and coaching telling the team to dump it and forecheck instead of finding ways to get through the neutral zone with speed and back off the d-man.

Toronto should be looking to acquire skilled forwards that can get to the middle of the ice. When we do manage to get there, it's with players like Jankrok/Bert/Domi etc, good players but not the most talented skill wise.

I saw ur other post as well, Toronto is built to win now, they won't retool, they just signed two of their core to big extensions. Toronto needs to follow the Dallas method, keep trying to win now but inject youth as the next wave to carry them. Their older core, Seguin, Duchane, Benn, Pelvelski are now the depth pieces there and Robertson, Johnston, Stankoven~, Hintz and Robertson are now the core.

horner

May 22, 2007

One of Sillinger/Johnson

Chinakov
Marchenko
Voronkov
Texier

Brindley
Del Bel Belluz
Ceulemans
Svozil
Dumais
Where did you hear the Hunter rumors

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A team who has $9.75 mil, and $8.7 mil already tied up in wingers, will want an $11 mil winger as well? When their best C is Boone Jenner?

Trading assets for another winger, would be about the dumbest thing Columbus could do.
Hunter would see Marner as a long term core piece- it would not surprise me to see him embracing the "Marner as the line driving C equivalent" concept

They'd have
Fantilli, one of KJ/Sillinger, and Brindley as long term C depth, with Jenner as interim
- hard to justify bringing in a big time C with term

Jiricek, Mateychuk, with Werenski and Severson locked up long term
- hard to justify bringing in a big time D with term

4th overall likely adding to the C or D pool

Laine's only got two years left, which could either be moved with retention, or kept to take advantage of ELC's (Fantilli, Jiricek and maybe Brindley/Mateychuk) + lower cost deals to their youngsters that haven't broken out yet

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

If we were to get a package of one of them + a Russian + Ceulemans prior to July 1 we'd be in incredible shape to retool on the fly and come back a deeper, more balanced team.
A team devoid of quality C's, is not trading a C.... that's just a non-starter. Take a look at the other teams's needs, not just what we want... there probably isn't a poorer team to make a Marner trade to in the league...

Hunter would see Marner as a long term core piece- it would not surprise me to see him embracing the "Marner as the line driving C equivalent" concept

They'd have
Fantilli, one of KJ/Sillinger, and Brindley as long term C depth, with Jenner as interim

Laine's only got two years left, which could either be moved with retention, or kept to take advantage of ELC's (Fantilli, Jiricek and maybe Brindley/Mateychuk) + lower cost deals to their youngsters that haven't broken out yet
It makes ZERO sense from a team building perspective. Like I've said, this is the last move Columbus should be making. Columbus is probably the last team in the league who should be doing a Marner deal...

You've taken a thin rumour on Hunter, and drawn a conclusion on a player, who is a poor fit for the team. Not going to happen.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
We really need better puck movement from the back end, and somebody who can be a threat back there on the power play, to put the puck in the net. Pesce to play with Rielly is a solid add, but if you overpay Montour for his skillset, it leaves us lean on funds to add up front. We need more of a threat on line 3

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A team devoid of quality C's, is not trading a C.... that's just a non-starter. Take a look at the other teams's needs, not just what we want... there probably isn't a poorer team to make a Marner trade to in the league...
They're not devoid of quality C's- they're overstocked in C upside. 3 top 9 spots to play:

Fantilli/Sillinger/Johnson/Jenner/ and potentially Brindley+ maybe Lindstrom/Catton

It's not outlandish for them to deem one of them redundant, and if Hunter is the one deciding how to take advantage of that value, Marner is not an outlandish target.

See post 692. They're in a pretty unique position in that they're stocked across the board.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I'm not necessarily a proponent of the deal, but if Treliving wants to build from the back-end out, he'll probably want to target a goaltender or a defenseman in a Marner trade. There's an opportunity, this off-season, to pick up a quality defenseman in free agency, possibly two if they can maneuver the salary cap.

You'd also have to think, if Marner waives, he'd be interested in a team that's going to be competitive. And for the team acquiring a player like Marner, they have to be able to feel like they can insulate him with a team flush on role players. Better again if they have a scoring forward that could use a deft playmaker.

That screams Nashville and Juuse Saros, to me. It seems to be a somewhat attractive market, has former teammates in Luke Schenn and Ryan O'Reilly, and a great goal scorer Mitch can feed in Forsberg. Not saying it's an ideal trade, as I don't really like gambling big on goalies, but in terms of fit, it seems to make sense? Both guys on expiring deals, both could use a change of scenery.

I'm not the first one to point it out (more like #19,435). I'm just struggling to find another fit on the market. I like the proposals discussed around Seattle, but they missed the postseason last year and I'm not really sure they're going to be as aggressive on the trade market as fellow expansion rival Vegas.

Reactions: Jmo89

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We really need better puck movement from the back end, and somebody who can be a threat back there on the power play, to put the puck in the net. Pesce to play with Rielly is a solid add, but if you overpay Montour for his skillset, it leaves us lean on funds to add up front. We need more of a threat on line 3
Mike Johnson thinks there will be lots of interest and he will get 8x8. Too bad a UFAs can only get 7 years Mike. Either way, I doubt he is signing here and I am not sure I want a 31 year old dman for 6 or 7 years. MJ thinks he won't decline much because he is a good skater but I'm not paying to find out.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
They're not devoid of quality C's- they're overstocked in C upside. 3 top 9 spots to play:

Fantilli/Sillinger/Johnson/Jenner/ and potentially Brindley+ maybe Lindstrom/Catton

It's not outlandish for them to deem one of them redundant, and if Hunter is the one deciding how to take advantage of that value, Marner is not an outlandish target.

See post 692. They're in a pretty unique position in that they're stocked across the board.
C production last year.

Jenner - 35 points
Sillinger - 32 points a new career high, after three seasons, following up an 11 point campaign.
Fantilli - 27 points
Johnson (playing wing) - 12 points.

Jenner is a good 3C. Johnson will be a winger. Fantilli and Sillinger haven't developed at the pace, where you can gamble your future on spending $30 mill on three wingers.... I mean, haven't we of all teams figured this crap out?

Pure fantasy, and Columbus would be stupid to even entertain such an idea.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

They'd have

I'd love to get Fantilli but I wonder if CBJ would want to send Laine back.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm not necessarily a proponent of the deal, but if Treliving wants to build from the back-end out, he'll probably want to target a goaltender or a defenseman in a Marner trade. There's an opportunity, this off-season, to pick up a quality defenseman in free agency, possibly two if they can maneuver the salary cap.

You'd also have to think, if Marner waives, he'd be interested in a team that's going to be competitive. And for the team acquiring a player like Marner, they have to be able to feel like they can insulate him with a team flush on role players. Better again if they have a scoring forward that could use a deft playmaker.

That screams Nashville and Juuse Saros, to me. It seems to be a somewhat attractive market, has former teammates in Luke Schenn and Ryan O'Reilly, and a great goal scorer Mitch can feed in Forsberg. Not saying it's an ideal trade, as I don't really like gambling big on goalies, but in terms of fit, it seems to make sense? Both guys on expiring deals, both could use a change of scenery.

I'm not the first one to point it out (more like #19,435). I'm just struggling to find another fit on the market. I like the proposals discussed around Seattle, but they missed the postseason last year and I'm not really sure they're going to be as aggressive on the trade market as fellow expansion rival Vegas.

Marner for Saros in theory works decently well. I'm not super high on Saros but it's hard to argue his pedigree and his strong consistent, if not dominant, stats since entering the league. Nashville lacks any RW top end talent and after Forsberg, their overall talent is definitely very thin/average. There was a lot of smoke about shopping Saros but they kept winning and winning and they made the playoffs.

My problem is Saros' extension, just like I'm sure Nashville would be worried about Marners extension.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad