OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Some love for the Police. One of the zaniest bands ever.
Oooo, I was listening to Reggatta de Blanc last night on my new headphones, first time in a while. I was sitting with my uncle/Godfather in his car at the church parking lot before my confirmation (which would have been like 8th grade I guess? Idfk,) and he plays "The Bed's Too Big Without You" for me and says "This is the greatest reggae song ever recorded."

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Oooo, I was listening to Reggatta de Blanc last night on my new headphones, first time in a while. I was sitting with my uncle/Godfather in his car at the church parking lot before my confirmation (which would have been like 8th grade I guess? Idfk,) and he plays "The Bed's Too Big Without You" for me and says "This is the greatest reggae song ever recorded."
They were such a mash up of rock, pop, reggae. And just some crazy songs. I mean "On any other day" may be the weirdest song I ever heard.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They were such a mash up of rock, pop, reggae. And just some crazy songs. I mean "On any other day" may be the weirdest song I ever heard.
Yep. Lots of black humor, creepy pop songs ... then several years later you have Sting dueling Kyle MacLachlan in space.

I loooved Stewart Copeland.

Reactions: Bluenote13

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I admit it. That is one of my guilty pleasures. Though does not nearly measure up to the book.
Dune? I like the movie, it’s good once you accept that it’s bad. :laugh:

There is a 0% chance that the new one directed by David Villeneuve isn’t going to be killer. Perfect man to do it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Dune? I like the movie, it’s good once you accept that it’s bad. :laugh:

There is a 0% chance that the new one directed by David Villeneuve isn’t going to be killer. Perfect man to do it.
They are coming out with another one? They also did a movie on SYFY which was not great. LOVE the book(s)

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They are coming out with another one? They also did a movie on SYFY which was not great. LOVE the book(s)
I have even better news for you: it’s coming out relatively soon in 2020, and is being directed by, at the moment, the best in his field IMO, David Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, Prisoners, Sicario.) Villeneuve has already shown what he can do with an 80s Sci-Fi sequel, aliens, warring factions, and the politics thereof. I’ll leave the rest for the TV & Movies thread, but he is literally the perfect director for this project.

dstoffa

Jan 11, 2013
Same director as Batman & Robin. Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Demi Moore, Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, Andrew McCarthy lol.

I think the movie is more remembered because the Brat Pack starred in it than for the song "Man in Motion", or the film's plotline..

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have even better news for you: it’s coming out relatively soon in 2020, and is being directed by, at the moment, the best in his field IMO, David Villeneuve (Blade Runner 2049, Arrival, Prisoners, Sicario.) Villeneuve has already shown what he can do with an 80s Sci-Fi sequel, aliens, warring factions, and the politics thereof. I’ll leave the rest for the TV & Movies thread, but he is literally the perfect director for this project.
Will be watching for

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just watched the trailer. They are assembling quite the cast. Plans within plans within plans.....

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Had Sirus on and heard something that I have not heard yesterday. Duet of Bruce Springsteen & Eddie Vedder belting out Highway to Hell in Australia.

DutchNYR

May 6, 2018
Listening to the album We Shall All Be Healed by The Mountain Goats. I am turning 31 next month and somehow feel old as f*ck, makes John Darnielle his music even better.

nyrmetros

May 3, 2007
Sabaton
Alestorm
Gloryhammer
Dropkick Murphys
Flogging Molly
GraveDigger

Sennheiser massdrop 58x headphones

Reactions: NCRanger

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

cold spring harbor is p underrated

Just listened to it again a few weeks back.

My first though was how young Billy Joel sounded. You get used to him having a certain sound, and to hear him in his mid-20s took a little while to get used to.

In my mind he’s a guy who came later in the 70s, and then you realize Cold Spring Harbor hit record stores only a year after Abbey Road.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
My parents held onto some great first CD pressings from the late-80s/early-90s. Some other ones I uncovered: Nevermind, Pablo Honey, Violator, London Calling, Tragic Kingdom, Automatic For The People, Boys Don't Cry, In Utero, Peepshow. This time period before people started going bonkers with remasters and loudness has some of the best versions of the albums.

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
My parents held onto some great first CD pressings from the late-80s/early-90s. Some other ones I uncovered: Nevermind, Pablo Honey, Violator, London Calling, Tragic Kingdom, Automatic For The People, Boys Don't Cry, In Utero, Peepshow. This time period before people started going bonkers with remasters and loudness has some of the best versions of the albums.

I'm a two-channel freak. I would love to play some of these pressings on my system. I also have first CD pressings of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, The Cure, and Metallica, among others. I try and avoid remasters from the main labels but I do have/get remasters from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, an audiophile remastering company. It all went to sh*t with the loudness wars and compression.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad