OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm a two-channel freak. I would love to play some of these pressings on my system. I also have first CD pressings of Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Iron Maiden, The Cure, and Metallica, among others. I try and avoid remasters from the main labels but I do have/get remasters from Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab, an audiophile remastering company. It all went to sh*t with the loudness wars and compression.
The crazy part is how devalued CDs have become. You can find original CDs of great albums for like $2-5 on Discogs.

This is how much that 1987 issue of London Calling goes for: The Clash - London Calling: CD, Album, RE For Sale | Discogs

$3.00—a near-mint copy, not something held together with scotch tape, of the first CD issue. Ridiculous. I wonder if CDs are going to make a comeback as novelty items, like vinyl has ... how much is it on iTunes? $10 or something?

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
The crazy part is how devalued CDs have become. You can find original CDs of great albums for like $2-5 on Discogs.

This is how much that 1987 issue of London Calling goes for: The Clash - London Calling: CD, Album, RE For Sale | Discogs

$3.00—a near-mint copy, not something held together with scotch tape, of the first CD issue. Ridiculous. I wonder if CDs are going to make a comeback as novelty items, like vinyl has ... how much is it on iTunes? $10 or something?

I haven't looked at Discogs in ages. Thank you for the link. I actually am looking for a bunch of stuff. I never got around to getting Jamie Cullum's (jazz-pop) albums after his first couple.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I haven't looked at Discogs in ages. Thank you for the link. I actually am looking for a bunch of stuff. I never got around to getting Jamie Cullum's (jazz-pop) albums after his first couple.
Remasters from indie labels are usually good, because it's not something they just do every 5 years for the cash, it's the first in 20 years or something like that. Touch and Go has reissued quite a few over the last ~5 years, mostly by Steve Albini. The 2CD Special Edition of Loveless back in 2012-13 ended up being such a hilarious situation, but the 2nd CD was definitely worth it.

More neat [to me lol] stuff:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Remasters from indie labels are usually good, because it's not something they just do every 5 years for the cash, it's the first in 20 years or something like that. Touch and Go has reissued quite a few over the last ~5 years, mostly by Steve Albini. The 2CD Special Edition of Loveless back in 2012-13 ended up being such a hilarious situation, but the 2nd CD was definitely worth it.

When you see the three letter code, ADD, AAD, DDD, you know it's quality.

Reactions: aufheben

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
When you see the three letter code, ADD, AAD, DDD, you know it's quality.
They made some awesome CDs in West Germany...Talking Heads, the Smiths (reissues from 1993 are awesome and dirt cheap*). This does remind me though of the Portlandia skit where Fred Armisen buys the B-52s Box Set. :laugh:

"I like the hiss" lmao

*On my musical bucket list though is the first ever Smiths CD, manufactured and released in Japan only. That band released so many goddamn singles/albums/compilations everywhere, on every possible format. There's probably some rainbow-splattered 7-inch of "This Charming Man" that was only sold in Madagascar floating around the internet for a grand. This one is really neat though.
R-486132-1234307524.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
They made some awesome CDs in West Germany...Talking Heads, the Smiths (reissues from 1993 are awesome and dirt cheap*). This does remind me though of the Portlandia skit where Fred Armisen buys the B-52s Box Set. :laugh:

"I like the hiss" lmao

*On my musical bucket list though is the first ever Smiths CD, manufactured and released in Japan only. That band released so many goddamn singles/albums/compilations everywhere, on every possible format. There's probably some rainbow-splattered 7-inch of "This Charming Man" that was only sold in Madagascar floating around the internet for a grand. This one is really neat though.

Nice. I also have some Japanese imports. The German and Japan pressings are almost always better than the domestics. It's too bad. I have a Genesis Invisible Touch SACD from Japan that I will play until it can't play anymore from fatigue. :sarcasm:

Perfect sound forever lol

lol at the skit. That's great. The actual love shack kills it.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

"I like the hiss" lmao

God I have a love/hate with so many box sets. That scene hits home.

Reactions: Bluenote13

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Nice. I also have some Japanese imports. The German and Japan pressings are almost always better than the domestics. It's too bad. I have a Genesis Invisible Touch SACD from Japan that I will play until it can't play anymore from fatigue. :sarcasm:

Perfect sound forever lol

lol at the skit. That's great. The actual love shack kills it.
Yeah Japanese releases are sweet, they love their audio quality .. the CDs, MiniDiscs, EHM-CD, DVD-A, SACD, SHM-CD ... I don’t even know what the hot new format is these days, probably Blu-ray-something. They tend to really crank the treble on their releases to, which gives some albums a unique.

Got around to taking some slightly better pics of this Kinks record:

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Listening to the album We Shall All Be Healed by The Mountain Goats. I am turning 31 next month and somehow feel old as f*ck, makes John Darnielle his music even better.

Came here to say I've been listening to The Mountain Goats as well. :laugh: Just heard of them maybe last month via TheNeedleDrop on youtube.

Tegan & Sara has has also found their way into most of my days this year.

My obsession with Gorillaz has always made me want to check out Blur..never gotten around to it though.

For non-lyrical music, I've been going to a lot of Danny Byrd and Netsky.

Also unapologetically delving into as much J/K-pop as possible. Perfume, Twice, blackpink, Red Velvet, Halcali, the list goes on and on. All of this stuff is so infectiously bubbly and catchy to me and just always puts me in a good mood. The vocals are essentially just another instrument since I don't know the languages.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
God I have a love/hate with so many box sets. That scene hits home.
Not really into box sets that much tbh, unless it's for a various artists compilation, or something that just needed to be done like the Velvet Underground Verve/MGM Mono, even then the packaging was/can be really dodgy. :laugh:

Like this box set Cherry Red put out 2013 is awesome, Scared To Get Happy (A Story Of Indie-Pop 1980-1989) ... what an epic title. Someone compiled it into a YouTube playlist haha.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is my favorite Eminem verse:

"Lyrics lyrics constant controversy
Sponsors workin' round the clock
To try to stop my concerts early
Surely hip hop is never a problem
In Harlem only in Boston
After it bothered ya fathers
Of daughters startin' to blossom"

Why? Because none of these words rhyme with any of the other words. He just decided they should rhyme and made them rhyme.

Languages are supposed to be universal -- they are what they are, but this man takes total control of language. Thinks of things you're not supposed to think of. As an essayist (I guess you could say professionally), Em is honestly my biggest influence.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
This is my favorite Eminem verse:

"Lyrics lyrics constant controversy
Sponsors workin' round the clock
To try to stop my concerts early
Surely hip hop is never a problem
In Harlem only in Boston
After it bothered ya fathers
Of daughters startin' to blossom"

Why? Because none of these words rhyme with any of the other words. He just decided they should rhyme and made them rhyme.

Languages are supposed to be universal -- they are what they are, but this man takes total control of language. Thinks of things you're not supposed to think of. As an essayist (I guess you could say professionally), Em is honestly my biggest influence.

Beyond a pop culture icon, I don’t believe Eminem has every truly received his due credit for his actual, amazing talent and ability.

Reactions: Machinehead

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Beyond a pop culture icon, I don’t believe Eminem has every truly received his due credit for his actual, amazing talent and ability.

I don't know about that. Seamus Heaney the Northern Irish Nobel winning poet thought pretty highly of Eminem.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree. But wow, his demons. I also wonder if he is short changed because of the industry he is in due to color. Which is not to say discriminated against. Just a bias not to believe that what he does is as good as anyone out there. Same way I felt regarding the Beastie Boys.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

yeah--I got that in vinyl.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I agree. But wow, his demons. I also wonder if he is short changed because of the industry he is in due to color. Which is not to say discriminated against. Just a bias not to believe that what he does is as good as anyone out there. Same way I felt regarding the Beastie Boys.

I also think Eminem is a bit of his own worst enemy in the sense that he’ll sometimes settle for a message that sounds like a middle school student trying to be funny. He’s been much better about it as he’s aged, but I always felt it belittled his true talent. Almost like watching a talented actor star in a movie where you know they did it for the paycheck.

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Just got turned onto the Lemon Twigs by a buddy. Two brothers from Long Island who throw as many 60's/70's influences as possible into each song. Sounds kind of like if Foxygen and Jellyfish formed a supergroup.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
@aufheben

Here are some of my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab audiophile reissues. Just a sampling.
cuqdxyg.jpg

A couple of imports.
gSa7xdc.jpg

Depeche Mode SACD manufactured in Germany. Genesis SACD made in Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad