OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Can’t remember if this was a thread from a while back. Did a quick search, but was too lazy to delve deeper.

So I’ve essentially been off work for the last three weeks and spending a lot of time with the kids.

Been diving a bit deeper into The Rolling Stones, Beatles and individual efforts, Simon and Garfunkel, Aerosmith and some other older offerings.

So what’s on your playlist these days?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’ve been off for the holidays and driving a bit. Gone retro, listening to the radio. Letting the deejays (or who/whatever) pick the songs. It’s nice to take a break from “on demand” (for a bit).

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I found that somewhere in my mid- to late-20s, my musical tastes became more inclined to explore the past.

Not to say I don’t find newer artists I can appreciate and enjoy, but I’ve been far more inclined to explore artists who were prior to my generation.

I definitely trend toward singer-songwriter types. Not as a rule, but as a general guideline.

A few years back I really dove deep into the Martin-Sinatra-Williams era. In recent years I’ve focused on classic rock, quite a bit of folk, and early rhythm and blues.

Not to say I didn’t listen to them before, but it’s been with a renewed focus. It’s been a lot of fun.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I love pretty much all music (save for the pop crap they've been pumping out for the last decade). I listen to everything from Korn to Joni Mitchell to Tom Waits to Prozakk to Beethoven and my playlists reflect that.

Last couple albums I've seeked specifically out on Spotify though were:
Good News For People Who Love Bad News (Modest Mouse)
Nice, Nice, Very Nice (Dan Mangan)
Battle of Los Angeles (Rage Against the Machine)

That said, in my early 20s I definitely leaned more indie rock and at some point I think singer-songwriter has taken over. Especially if I'm in the mood to be told a story; then you can just hook the Harry Chapin to my veins.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Entrancemperium

Jul 30, 2005
Been looking for old 70s progressive rock so I am currently into Hawkwind, Gentle Giant, Pink Floyd, King Crimson, and some really obscure bands like England and Cathedral (No not the doom metal band) also found a fantastic album by an obscure band called Khan, the album is Space shanty, simply fantastic stuff.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Depeche Mode.

I thought Violator was their best album. Listening to Ultra again like I did a few months ago. Ultra is their best album. More depth. I love Enjoy The Silence and Halo from Violator. Policy Of Truth is OK. Not a big fan of Personal Jesus and the others. I do like Happiest Girl which can be found on the bonus track version.

Ultra was recorded in mid 1990's. David Gahan was addicted to heroine and cocaine at the time. He was trying to get clean. Martin Gore had his own substance abuse and health issues. Gore is a genius. He writes all of those songs. Most of them are dark and deep stories of love and drug abuse.

So many great songs on Ultra. It's No Good. Home. Love the last a few minutes of Home. The violins are soo good. Sister of Night. Freestate is the most underrated DM song ever. You can feel the tortuous state Gore was in when he wrote that song. Bottom Line. Insight. Only When I Lose Myself. Gore sings the lead vocals on many of the Ultra songs. So many solid songs on Ultra. The rest of their albums have a couple tops.

Never Let Me Down Again and Enjoy The Silence are the two best DM songs. Walking In My Shoes is a close 3rd.

I watch this almost everyday including right now.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Never Let Me Down Again is my Swanee River. If you like the Honeymooners, you know what I am talking about. What song does Norton play before he plays the other songs on the piano? He uses to warm up like Dizzy Dean warm up like Dizzy Dean does in the bullpen.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Those of you who watched “The Leftovers” and a recent short series “My Brilliant Friend” probably noticed the beautiful soundtrack to both. Max Richter is an amazing composer!

jacko23

Lurkers unite!
Jul 8, 2007
Lehigh Valley, PA
Im a metal head but im terribly picky (read: snob) with it. Progressive death metal like Ne Obliviscaris im getting more into doom metal like Swallow the Sun and Woods of Ypres.

Bands like Native Construct and A Sense of Gravity add a theatrical element to prog metal which is SO COOL but i havent found many bands doing it.

If im in a more rock mood, Alter Bridge, Volbeat, Dorothy. Classic rock is always good. Mastodon, Opeth, Metallica, its all good.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I can listen to just about anything.......except country. My wife loves it, and I tried. But it's just not good. The whole cosplay/dressup that goes along with the concerts is ridiculous to me.

You took a metro north train from Bedford to the Garden, why are you dressed up like a cowgirl?

Reactions: Harbour Dog

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Can’t remember if this was a thread from a while back. Did a quick search, but was too lazy to delve deeper.

So I’ve essentially been off work for the last three weeks and spending a lot of time with the kids.

Been diving a bit deeper into The Rolling Stones, Beatles and individual efforts, Simon and Garfunkel, Aerosmith and some other older offerings.

So what’s on your playlist these days?
Paul Simon is the GOAT

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Im a metal head but im terribly picky (read: snob) with it. Progressive death metal like Ne Obliviscaris im getting more into doom metal like Swallow the Sun and Woods of Ypres.

Bands like Native Construct and A Sense of Gravity add a theatrical element to prog metal which is SO COOL but i havent found many bands doing it.

If im in a more rock mood, Alter Bridge, Volbeat, Dorothy. Classic rock is always good. Mastodon, Opeth, Metallica, its all good.

Volbeat might be my favorite contemporary group from the last decade or so.

Reactions: Jabroni

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Got two LP's for xmas---Mogwai's Mr. Beast (I always liked Folk Death 95) and the Tosspints Pirate's Life. The other kind of new-ish band I like is Sleaford Mods. They remind me just a little bit of The Fall.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I found that somewhere in my mid- to late-20s, my musical tastes became more inclined to explore the past.

Not to say I don’t find newer artists I can appreciate and enjoy, but I’ve been far more inclined to explore artists who were prior to my generation.

I definitely trend toward singer-songwriter types. Not as a rule, but as a general guideline.

A few years back I really dove deep into the Martin-Sinatra-Williams era. In recent years I’ve focused on classic rock, quite a bit of folk, and early rhythm and blues.

Not to say I didn’t listen to them before, but it’s been with a renewed focus. It’s been a lot of fun.

I’m pretty much all over the map prior to 2006. That seems to be where I stopped connecting to most modern music. Right now, I’m in another Beatles phase.

I have a tendency to immerse myself in bands that catch my ear. Over the years, I’ve gotten heavy into everyone from Sinatra to Steeleye Span to the Cowsills to Pat Metheny to the Everly Brothers. I still believe the best pop music was made in the 1960’s

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Paul Simon is the GOAT

Simon is a true poet. Lyrically, it’s never about rhyming schemes with him. Two of my favorite Simon songs are ‘Hearts and Bones’ and ‘Darling Lorraine’. He truly paints pictures with his words...’the Mississippi delta was shining like a National guitar’...in that one sentence, he encapsulates just about everything about the rock and roll mythology of the South.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
like all music.

right now back into rivers cuomo and weezer pretty heavy.

incubus, 311 and and some RATM live stuff always on my gym playlist.

i like country too. brantley gilbert works.

MyLoveIsBlue

Feb 20, 2015
Did a load-in/load-out for these guys a few years ago. Will be seeing them in September for their 50th anniversary tour.

Awesome stuff.

I have seen KC exactly 22 times. Spanning from 1972-2011. Many incarnations of "the project" as Fripp aptly names the KC effort. I would love to see them again one day.
You are lucky to have gotten that close!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad