OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
@aufheben

Here are some of my Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab audiophile reissues. Just a sampling.
cuqdxyg.jpg

A couple of imports.
gSa7xdc.jpg

Depeche Mode SACD manufactured in Germany. Genesis SACD made in Japan.
That’s dope man. The one MoFi I have is Sonic Youth’s Goo.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hearing the Kinks' catalog for the first time (well, 1967-1971 so far). Really pretty floored. There's a bittersweet current of nostalgia, cynicism, desperation, rage, and madness running underneath this that is acute... and shit does it ever unravel. Sometimes bands find you at just the right time

Been on a Specials bender of late.
Wish they had put out more material. I have my parents' promo copy of the Ghost Town 12" single, hah.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hearing the Kinks' catalog for the first time (well, 1967-1971 so far). Really pretty floored. There's a bittersweet current of nostalgia, cynicism, desperation, rage, and madness running underneath this that is acute... and **** does it ever unravel. Sometimes bands find you at just the right time

Wish they had put out more material. I have my parents' promo copy of the Ghost Town 12" single, hah.

The Kinks had this pretty quirky take on things and a lot of their songs pretty much came out of the neighborhood they grew up in. Listening to them can be like traveling back in time. A very underrated band.

Reactions: Bluenote13

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
I feel like I’ll probably be in the minority here but anyone a fan of old Hip Hop?

I love Puffy’s Intro, it sets up Biggie’s cocky mafioso verse. And my favorite is the sampling, they took Rocky’s Going The Distance and made it into this amazing piece. Listening to this helps me with those last few reps I’m struggling to squeeze out.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I feel like I’ll probably be in the minority here but anyone a fan of old Hip Hop?

I love Puffy’s Intro, it sets up Biggie’s cocky mafioso verse. And my favorite is the sampling, they took Rocky’s Going The Distance and made it into this amazing piece. Listening to this helps me with those last few reps I’m struggling to squeeze out.

Been on a huge Biggie kick the past few weeks. In part due to watching Unsolved, which was dope. In general I think Puff had a negative impact on Big's music in terms of pushing him to crank out generally softer / R&B-esque tracks, but Victory is one of my favorites. Love his hard stuff. Can't stop bumping If I Should Die Before I Wake as of late.

Have also been all over Mayhem Mal's new project with Jimmy Wopo, who was shot and killed the same day as XXX. Believe Jimmy has some more unreleased projects on the way. You might like him, has a more late 90s sound than a lot of current rappers. Very cool yet eerie hearing some of these new tracks post-mortem. Some lines just get ya. "Remember wishing I was living like a grown up, now I'm wishing I ain't ever have to grow up." "Mama said don't believe what they assume, this for everyone I lost I'll see you soon." Crazy.

Favorite track off the new release:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Kinks had this pretty quirky take on things and a lot of their songs pretty much came out of the neighborhood they grew up in. Listening to them can be like traveling back in time. A very underrated band.
Also very weird and fascinating. From Face to Face through Muswell Hillbillies you can literally hear Ray Davies losing his f***ing mind. They had a bunch of songs in the Sopranos too that I had no idea were by the Kinks until...yesterday lol.

Speaking of underrated bands--arguably the best ska band ever. It's between them and Sublime for me.
Operation Ivy was probably the first good band I ever liked. Must have been 6th grade, through the timeless grapevine of a friend's older brother. God only knows how much random shit in that little town still has the Operation Ivy logo scrawled somewhere on it. There aren't a lot of albums I can think of in punk's canon more mythical than Energy.

Fast forward to Christmas of that year and I was palm-muting with the wrong hand on my new Yamaha EG-112. :laugh:

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Also very weird and fascinating. From Face to Face through Muswell Hillbillies you can literally hear Ray Davies losing his ****ing mind. They had a bunch of songs in the Sopranos too that I had no idea were by the Kinks until...yesterday lol.

Operation Ivy was probably the first good band I ever liked. Must have been 6th grade, through the timeless grapevine of a friend's older brother. God only knows how much random **** in that little town still has the Operation Ivy logo scrawled somewhere on it. There aren't a lot of albums I can think of in punk's canon more mythical than Energy.

Fast forward to Christmas of that year and I was palm-muting with the wrong hand on my new Yamaha EG-112. :laugh:

I like Rancid more than Operation Ivy though. Out came the wolves is a terrific album--just one great song after another after another. If the Yamaha EG-112 is a guitar I've been farting around with guitars for decades. I'm alright I suppose--I have limitations.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Been on a huge Biggie kick the past few weeks. In part due to watching Unsolved, which was dope. In general I think Puff had a negative impact on Big's music in terms of pushing him to crank out generally softer / R&B-esque tracks, but Victory is one of my favorites. Love his hard stuff. Can't stop bumping If I Should Die Before I Wake as of late.

Yeah I always end up getting in a cycle of listening to the old stuff every couple weeks, and it usually always starts with Nas. He’s the GOAT in my eyes.

The song you linked was pretty good too, gonna have to check out more of him.

Have you ever listened to The Underachievers? They’re new school but they have a few good songs where their flow and cadence are so perfectly matched with the beat.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I like Rancid more than Operation Ivy though. Out came the wolves is a terrific album--just one great song after another after another. If the Yamaha EG-112 is a guitar I've been farting around with guitars for decades. I'm alright I suppose--I have limitations.
Yeah it was my first guitar.

I’m totally biased but I still think this is #1:

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->