OT: Whatcha Listening To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Lol I found an unlabeled mix I made when I was 15ish, before I got my first iPod, so 2003-04. Managed to fit 1.2 hours and 785 MB onto an 80-minute 700 MB CD-R ... chose the 1988 Single Mix of "Blue Monday" over the original, not bad young-self lol. I used to love burning mixes.

Code:
Page 1 of 1

Mix CD 2003-04
29 songs, 1.2 hours, 785 MB

Track #

Name

Time

Artist

Ex Lion Tamer
2:18
Wire

Born To Die
2:05
Anti-Flag

Do You Wanna Hold Me?
3:13
Bow Wow Wow

Supermarket Fantasy (Live)
1:30
Screeching Weasel

(I'm Always Touched By Your) Presence, Dear
2:45
Blondie

What Do I Get?
2:57
Buzzcocks

(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais
4:02
The Clash

Last Caress
1:58
Misfits

We Ain't Shit
3:05
NOFX

Judy Is A Punk
1:32
Ramones

Panic
The Smiths

Science Of Myth (Live)
2:15
Screeching Weasel

I Turned Into A Martian
1:44
Misfits

Don't You (Forget About Me)
4:49
The Bouncing Souls

Complete Control
3:14
The Clash

Don't Turn Out The Lights
2:38
Screeching Weasel

Blue Monday-88
4:08
New Order

Marriage
1:40
Descendents

Hybrid Moments
Misfits

Alternative Ulster
2:41
Stiff Little Fingers

What We Hate
2:27
Screeching Weasel

Promises
2:37
Buzzcocks

Pretty In Pink
2:44
Automatic 7

6 Percent
2:11
Screeching Weasel

Gotta Gettaway
3:37
Stiff Little Fingers

Whips & Furs
2:16
The Vibrators

If You Were Here
2:58
Thompson Twins

Murder In The Brady House
Screeching Weasel

It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
4:06
R.E.M.

Last edited:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Lol I found an unlabeled mix I made when I was 15ish, before I got my first iPod, so 2003-04. Managed to fit 1.2 hours and 785 MB onto an 80-minute 700 MB CD-R ... chose the 1988 Single Mix of "Blue Monday" over the original, not bad young-self lol. I used to love burning mixes.

Code:
Page 1 of 1

Mix CD 2003-04

Track #

Name

Time

Artist

Ex Lion Tamer
Wire

Born To Die
Anti-Flag

Do You Wanna Hold Me?
Bow Wow Wow

Screeching Weasel

Blondie

What Do I Get?
Buzzcocks

The Clash

Last Caress
Misfits

We Ain't ****
NOFX

Judy Is A Punk
Ramones

Panic
The Smiths

Science Of Myth (Live)
Screeching Weasel

I Turned Into A Martian
Misfits

The Bouncing Souls

Complete Control
The Clash

Screeching Weasel

Blue Monday-88
New Order

Marriage
Descendents

Hybrid Moments
Misfits

Alternative Ulster
Stiff Little Fingers

What We Hate
Screeching Weasel

Promises
Buzzcocks

Pretty In Pink
Automatic 7

6 Percent
Screeching Weasel

Gotta Gettaway
Stiff Little Fingers

Whips & Furs
The Vibrators

If You Were Here
Thompson Twins

Screeching Weasel

R.E.M.

Damn this is 1000x more able to be shared publicly than mine would have been haha. Good for you.

Reactions: Rongomania

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I find only Alice In Chains and Soungarden interesting. I’m not a fan of either Pearl Jam or Nirvana.
Square in the middle of Gen X here, and you are dead on regarding our "signature" bands. Both Pearl Jam and Nirvana went quickly south following their inaugural albums (though IMO those were both good); I'd much rather listen to Man in the Box or Rusty Cage than any song either ever recorded. And as for overall catalogues, I prefer the work of "second tier" bands from the same era like the Screaming Trees to any of the "classics".

Last edited:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Damn this is 1000x more able to be shared publicly than mine would have been haha. Good for you.
I ran the acoustic fingerprints really quick before listening to it and was like f***, man, I've listened to like half these songs in the last week. :laugh:

Definitely a few good ones in there that I totally forgot about, like that "Pretty In Pink" cover that people (and myself) assumed was by Social Distortion because it sounded exactly f***ing like them but apparently was some other random punk band off of a cover compilation lol. I really liked Bow Wow Wow freshmen year for some reason, my parent's had a copy of their greatest hits CD; probably was just becoming old enough to hate being up at 6:00 AM.

That Blondie song is definitely when I bought one of their hoodies—just Debbie Harry with sunglasses on. I love that thing, still have it, I'd probably f***ing off myself if I ever lost it :laugh: . I was wearing it during a flight to Vancouver in 2014, and the girl sitting next to me all of the sudden pokes me, says "You know she's on the plane, right?" and points at my chest and then [all the way] up towards first class, and sure enough I see a tuft of blonde hair and a sunglasses hinge just slightly above the back of a headrest.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I ran the acoustic fingerprints really quick before listening to it and was like ****, man, I've listened to like half these songs in the last week. :laugh:

Definitely a few good ones in there that I totally forgot about, like that "Pretty In Pink" cover that people (and myself) assumed was by Social Distortion because it sounded exactly ****ing like them but apparently was some other random punk band off of a cover compilation lol. I really liked Bow Wow Wow freshmen year for some reason, my parent's had a copy of their greatest hits CD; probably was just becoming old enough to hate being up at 6:00 AM.

That Blondie song is definitely when I bought one of their hoodies—just Debbie Harry with sunglasses on. I love that thing, still have it, I'd probably ****ing off myself if I ever lost it :laugh: . I was wearing it during a flight to Vancouver in 2014, and the girl sitting next to me all of the sudden pokes me, says "You know she's on the plane, right?" and points at my chest and then [all the way] up towards first class, and sure enough I see a tuft of blonde hair and a sunglasses hinge just slightly above the back of a headrest.
That's AWESOME. Only Joan Jett would've been better.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
That's AWESOME. Only Joan Jett would've been better.
I don't think I could have stopped myself from pestering Joan Jett lol. She was waiting with her band at the luggage carousel at YVR. It's kind of surreal seeing someone that iconic just standing around waiting for their bags while they dick around on their phone ... same as when I saw Jodie Sweetin navigating a shopping cart through the Whole Foods in Santa Monica back in 2011 haha.

I still can't believe that this isn't Social Distortion lol

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I ran the acoustic fingerprints really quick before listening to it and was like ****, man, I've listened to like half these songs in the last week. :laugh:

Definitely a few good ones in there that I totally forgot about, like that "Pretty In Pink" cover that people (and myself) assumed was by Social Distortion because it sounded exactly ****ing like them but apparently was some other random punk band off of a cover compilation lol. I really liked Bow Wow Wow freshmen year for some reason, my parent's had a copy of their greatest hits CD; probably was just becoming old enough to hate being up at 6:00 AM.

That Blondie song is definitely when I bought one of their hoodies—just Debbie Harry with sunglasses on. I love that thing, still have it, I'd probably ****ing off myself if I ever lost it :laugh: . I was wearing it during a flight to Vancouver in 2014, and the girl sitting next to me all of the sudden pokes me, says "You know she's on the plane, right?" and points at my chest and then [all the way] up towards first class, and sure enough I see a tuft of blonde hair and a sunglasses hinge just slightly above the back of a headrest.

I get really lucky at my job, working with music constantly. I’ve had the pleasure of hanging with Debbie Harry on quite a few occasions and she is even cooler than you could ever imagine. A sweet woman and so important to multiple genres of music. I also watched her have a conversation with Ann Wilson for both of their first times. After she told me: “I think that was the first time she and I ever talked.” I thought to myself “Man, heart and blondie never met and had a convo?!” It just seemed so impossible, as I’m sure it was because I’m pretty sure these ladies were pretty lit up and have hazy recollections lol.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Code:
Page 1 of 1

Mix CD 2003-04

Track #

Name

Time

Artist

Ex Lion Tamer
Wire

Born To Die
Anti-Flag

Do You Wanna Hold Me?
Bow Wow Wow

Screeching Weasel

Blondie

What Do I Get?
Buzzcocks

The Clash

Last Caress
Misfits

We Ain't ****
NOFX

Judy Is A Punk
Ramones

Panic
The Smiths

Science Of Myth (Live)
Screeching Weasel

I Turned Into A Martian
Misfits

The Bouncing Souls

Complete Control
The Clash

Screeching Weasel

Blue Monday-88
New Order

Marriage
Descendents

Hybrid Moments
Misfits

Alternative Ulster
Stiff Little Fingers

What We Hate
Screeching Weasel

Promises
Buzzcocks

Pretty In Pink
Automatic 7

6 Percent
Screeching Weasel

Gotta Gettaway
Stiff Little Fingers

Whips & Furs
The Vibrators

If You Were Here
Thompson Twins

Screeching Weasel

R.E.M.

I stumble upon my mix discs from time to time. Last one I can recall was a White Zombie/Rob Zombie disc. Clearly a good work out companion.

I also found my first MP3 player a few weeks back. Forget iPods, this thing was a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox. Shaped like 2 CD players stacked on top of one another.

Needless to say, portable convience was still a few years off.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Pretty in Pink was the Psychedelic Furs--a English post punk kind of gothic band who had this anti-religious thing going on their first record which IMO was by far their best but the band kind of tried to go mainstream after that which was why I lost interest.

I liked Wire a lot. I still do.

Last edited:

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Pretty in Pink was the Psychedelic Furs--a English post punk kind of gothic band who had this anti-religious thing going on their first record which IMO was by far their best but the band kind of tried to go mainstream after that which was why I lost interest.

‘The Ghost in You’ is one of the best singles of the ‘80’s, let alone one the best modern rock songs of that decade. Plus, it has Robyn Hitchcock singing background vocals.

Reactions: Bluenote13

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Love the Psych Furs

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A band who seemed similar but better than the Psychedelic Furs was Sisters of Mercy. Their first records Alice and the Reptile House were pretty awesome.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Same, never stopped. “Ex Lion Tamer” has always been one of my favorite songs. Always Track 01 on the walk to the bus stop while it was still f***ing dark out lol. I recreated the instrumental tracks in GarageBand during a music theory class in high school, not that it was particularly difficult. :laugh:

Wire are still putting out records, and good records at that. How many of those first-wave English punk bands didn’t even survive through the early-80s ... I think I’m still on the pinkflag.com mailing list lol. New albums in 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017—crazy, and there’s “Legal Bootleg” subscription series releases of gigs from decades ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: eco's bones

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
Im 72 and after reading about some of the music you guys and gals listen too I dont recognize 95% of them. I just crank up volume of Joe Bonamassa, Walter Trout and Warren Haynes and kick back and relax.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Same, never stopped. “Ex Lion Tamer” has always been one of my favorite songs. Always Track 01 on the walk to the bus stop while it was still ****ing dark out lol. I recreated the instrumental tracks in GarageBand during a music theory class in high school, not that it was particularly difficult. :laugh:

Wire are still putting out records, and good records at that. How many of those first-wave English punk bands didn’t even survive through the early-80s ... I think I’m still on the pinkflag.com mailing list lol. New albums in 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017—crazy, and there’s “Legal Bootleg” subscription series releases of gigs from decades ago.

Pink Flag--Chairs missing--154--all great albums--I've got a couple later ones as well + a live video of them in concert in Germany in their earlier days. I have a few 45's too.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
First and Last and Always was incredible

I have that.

Alice was kind of a 45 with 3 songs on it maybe--I'm pretty sure it was the first thing they ever put out and The Reptile House was an EP that came out a little after that. They're like '82 or '83 and First Last and Always was a bit after that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad