Speculation: What Would Gardiner's Contract Be If He Re-signs in TOR?

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I see these kinds of deals suggested all the time but how often do they happen? Why would another team feel compelled to swap a d-man for Gardiner? Teams generally hoard that position, especially younger/cheaper players.
No one is compelling anyone to do anything. It’s not like Toronto would be giving up picks and prospects for said defenceman. They would be giving up gardiner(if they can’t re-sign him) for another defenceman. Teams that could use an offensive defenceman might want to make that trade. If there is no deal there to be made then you hold onto him for the playoff run.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Is Gardiner really going to get Ryan Ellis money on a shorter term? I think the Ellis contract sets Gardiner's limit in the mid $5M range on a 6-8 year term, assuming its not after the TDL. If the Leafs are signing him I'd do it sooner to use the leverage that comes with security

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Lol leafs are screwed. If I'm jake I'm asking 6.5 mil for 6 years. Couple that will Nylander asking 6 mil plus and marner, Matthews contracts coming up, leafs are going to need to give up something.

No having too many good players on fair contracts is "not being screwed". If there are cap problems, good players on fair contracts can always be traded. Now any team giving Jake 6.5m for six years is in for a screwing.
Look at the contracts and cap next year for the Kings, Ducks and Sharks....they are really tight to the cap with some inferior players taking up space.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Is Gardiner really going to get Ryan Ellis money on a shorter term? I think the Ellis contract sets Gardiner's limit in the mid $5M range on a 6-8 year term, assuming its not after the TDL. If the Leafs are signing him I'd do it sooner to use the leverage that comes with security
Players signing in states with no state tax don't set the limit for other players contracts.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

I know that the common sentiment was that he was as good as gone with the big three deals, however it appears he is in their plans. This is amazing news for me personally as I am a huge fan of his. Thought it might be worth a thread as this news kind of unconfirms what was accepted by most Leaf fans and fans on here.

So what do you think his contract will look like?

They absolutely should not resign Jake Gardiner.

Reactions: Volcanologist

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Players signing in states with no state tax don't set the limit for other players contracts.
so players at the same position in the same league with a hard, ubiquitous salary cap have no effect on another player's market value, when that is the established method of arbitration settlement in the league?

good call

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Gardiner might be worth more to other teams than to the Leafs, though I know they need Dmen. Perfect( though unlikely) trade for them would be Gardiner for Scandella.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
No having too many good players on fair contracts is "not being screwed". If there are cap problems, good players on fair contracts can always be traded. Now any team giving Jake 6.5m for six years is in for a screwing.
Look at the contracts and cap next year for the Kings, Ducks and Sharks....they are really tight to the cap with some inferior players taking up space.
They are screwed. Leafs not going anywhere with that defense. Signing there star players to large contracts and not using some of that money to fix their backend is what will screw them up long term. The smart move would be to move Nylander for a top 4 dman instead of signing him to 7 mil plus multi year deal

Jul 10, 2003
KW
They are screwed. Leafs not going anywhere with that defense. Signing there star players to large contracts and not using some of that money to fix their backend is what will screw them up long term. The smart move would be to move Nylander for a top 4 dman instead of signing him to 7 mil plus multi year deal

Nothing is set in stone long term by signing their star players now. They aren't eligible for NTC til UFA years. The smart move would be to trade a player like Nylander when he's closer to having hit his upside, then we're talking a top pairing D, and don't give me no Nylander won't ever fetch a top pairing defender BS...you obviously know better than that.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Nothing is set in stone long term by signing their star players now. They aren't eligible for NTC til UFA years. The smart move would be to trade a player like Nylander when he's closer to having hit his upside, then we're talking a top pairing D, and don't give me no Nylander won't ever fetch a top pairing defender BS...you obviously know better than that.
Many leafs fans have said it already. You wanna win now and you have the forward depth and you don't have the defensive depth. Why not try and fix the backend? Especially if Gardner leaves Next year?

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

No the smarter deal might be to sign Nylander to a multi year contract and if necessary trade him for Dman if necessary.
Teams want certainly and a signed Nylander has more trade value. So you logic that if Nylander is not signed the Leafs somewhat better is just false. But you are correct the Leafs might have to trade some forward money for a Dman money. But certainly that isn't screwed. It would be a good lateral trade.
Leafs defence? 12th overfall in GAA last year. # 1 and 2 picks from the 2017/18 drafts were dmen. Think the Leafs are certainly good long term with their defence, and their cap.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Many leafs fans have said it already. You wanna win now and you have the forward depth and you don't have the defensive depth. Why not try and fix the backend? Especially if Gardner leaves.

Leafs have defensive depth. It's just a question of whether their 6 and 7 Dmen are NHL good. But that problems exists with most NHL teams Fact is Gardiner and Hainsey will not be Leafs in 2019/20. So be it. Leafs are optimistic that Borgman and Liljegren are NHLers next year (Borgman even this year). And if necessary a trade can be made. It's not really a problem.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
No the smarter deal might be to sign Nylander to a multi year contract and if necessary trade him for Dman if necessary.
Teams want certainly and a signed Nylander has more trade value. So you logic that if Nylander is not signed the Leafs somewhat better is just false. But you are correct the Leafs might have to trade some forward money for a Dman money. But certainly that isn't screwed. It would be a good lateral trade.
Leafs defence? 12th overfall in GAA last year. # 1 and 2 picks from the 2017/18 drafts were dmen. Think the Leafs are certainly good long term with their defence, and their cap.
Well only time will tell. Leafs d is still suspect IMO

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
so players at the same position in the same league with a hard, ubiquitous salary cap have no effect on another player's market value, when that is the established method of arbitration settlement in the league?

good call
That's not what I said. The question was should the ceiling for the Gardner contract be the Ellis contract who happens to play in a state with no state taxes. No it shouldn't . Just like it shouldnt be if Seguin signed his contract first it shouldn't be used as a ceiling for Tavares because Seguin could sign for a lot less then tavares and still take home more money which he is doing now.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Leafs have defensive depth. It's just a question of whether their 6 and 7 Dmen are NHL good. But that problems exists with most NHL teams Fact is Gardiner and Hainsey will not be Leafs in 2019/20. So be it. Leafs are optimistic that Borgman and Liljegren are NHLers next year (Borgman even this year). And if necessary a trade can be made. It's not really a problem.
Yah but those guys are kids, you need veterans on your back end to do any damage especially in the playoffs. Dermottt, Borgman, Liljegren, zaitzev..all might be great long term but you ain't going to get far short term.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Yah but those guys are kids, you need veterans on your back end to do any damage especially in the playoffs. Dermottt, Borgman, Liljegren, zaitzev..all might be great long term but you ain't going to get far short term. Both Hainsey and Gardiner have significant nhl experience and playoff experience.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Many leafs fans have said it already. You wanna win now and you have the forward depth and you don't have the defensive depth. Why not try and fix the backend? Especially if Gardner leaves Next year?

okay, who are they trading Nylander for? let's hear some names.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
Gardiner is our second best defensemen. Unfortunately he’s used in situations that aren’t necessarily complimentary to his strengths and had a terrible game against the Bruins(I hate to be he bearer of bad news but most of the team was terrible in that game. I’m not going to pull the plug because of one sad performance)

If a 50pt defensemen in his prime is willing to give a us a discount, we don’t look back. Especially given our weakness at the position.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00