Speculation: What Would Gardiner's Contract Be If He Re-signs in TOR?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I want him back, most underrated 50+ point defender both offensively and defensively in the league.

Let me ask you a question: Given your description of him, you're looking at a long-term 6.5+ contract. Would you be comfortable paying him that?

If the answer is yes, enjoy. I wouldn't touch that. If the answer is no, then maybe you're not being completely honest about his worth.

My personal feelings of Gardiner is he is far too inconsistent for that kind of money. He shows games where he is absolutely worth that, and then he can completely look like a liability out there.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
With what cap space, Mike?

Next summer will be fun watching that stuff unfold. They don't even have Nylander signed yet. He's step one.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
With what cap space, Mike?

Next summer will be fun watching that stuff unfold. They don't even have Nylander signed yet. He's step one.
Yeah this cap stuff is totally going take our management by surprise.

You really think Dubas and co dont have this all planned and sorted out? They'll give Gardiner a number and if he doesn't like it then theyll move on, pretty simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
They gotta get Marleau or Zaitsev outta here first and he has to take a discount to make it work.

Since its Babcock saying this, I wont put much stock into it.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Let me ask you a question: Given your description of him, you're looking at a long-term 6.5+ contract. Would you be comfortable paying him that?

If the answer is yes, enjoy. I wouldn't touch that. If the answer is no, then maybe you're not being completely honest about his worth.

My personal feelings of Gardiner is he is far too inconsistent for that kind of money. He shows games where he is absolutely worth that, and then he can completely look like a liability out there.

If he has another year similar to last year, he will probably get around 6 years 6.5 Million from some team.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Why is this on the main board? There's not even evidence about a contract in here. This is all conjecture at this point. There's nothing concrete about a contract.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Jake Gardiner will not be signed, if we have any hope of keeping Matthews, Marner and Nylander it can’t happen.

I’m really staring to get tired of Babcock. Nylander is a hold out and he puts Ennis on a line with Marleau and Matthews while leaving Johnsson (guy who almost single handily got them the Caulder Cup), Kapanen and Brown all who I would put ahead of Ennis. Really?

If Dermott progresses then you move him for a first at the TDL. I suspect one of Borgman or Rosen should be able to slide in on the third pairing.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If he has another year similar to last year, he will probably get around 6 years 6.5 Million from some team.

Sure, and I ask again: Would you want your team to pay that?

He may even be able to get that now. Teams are always willing to overpay UFA's on the open market, even if it doesn't usually work out. Repeating last year may just increase that.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Jake Gardiner will not be signed, if we have any hope of keeping Matthews, Marner and Nylander it can’t happen.

I’m really staring to get tired of Babcock. Nylander is a hold out and he puts Ennis on a line with Marleau and Matthews while leaving Johnsson (guy who almost single handily got them the Caulder Cup), Kapanen and Brown all who I would put ahead of Ennis. Really?

If Dermott progresses then you move him for a first at the TDL. I suspect one of Borgman or Rosen should be able to slide in on the third pairing.
We can easily keep him. I'm not a fan of having a RHD and LHD on each pair. We have seen when Rielly and Gardiner are together they dominate. Put your best defencemen on the ice and don't worry about whether they are a righty or lefty. We have stats and information to back it up. I'm sure Dubas and the rest of the staff will let Babcock and the coaching staff change their ways. Also, I think we move out Marleau after his signing bonus which should give us the space to keep Gardiner.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I don't see how the Leafs can pay Gardiner $6 million a year and still afford to keep all their core together.

Mathews is going to want a similar contract to JT and Marner not that much less than that. Nylander wants a long term contract probally in the 7 or 8 million per year range. Reilly and Andersen are both making $5 million per year. Kadri 4.5 million per year.

That will be around $60 Million tied up in 6 forwards, 2 Dmen, and your starting goalie. So let's say they even move the cap up to about $85 million next season.....That will leave the Leafs with about $25 million to spend on about 13 roster spots. Oh and I forgot to mention Marleau who still has another year after this one and is making 6.2 million per year. So for the 2019-2020 season that leaves about $19 million for 12 spots. Goodluck trying to build depth and an above average defense with that remaining salary.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He will get paid a crap load of money.. 50+ points last year and if he does that again this year, a team will throw alot of money at him. Gardiner will wanna cash in on this next contract.

Im not a fan of him but he will get alot of points... Honestly i dont see TO being able to afford him cause someone will overpay massively.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Wont be worth the money he'll ask for and there are replacements on the way. Its another JVR situation. Gards will walk.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It certainly doesn't look like the Leafs have the cap for Gardiner. A bigger question is why would the Leaf really want to pay a LHD so much . Next season Reilly and Dermot have too spots (likely). Then it's Borgman, Rosen or maybe an inexpensive UFA, Maybe Sandin is really in 2020/21. I just don't see the urgency in signing Gardiner for the cap strapped Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad