Speculation: What Would Gardiner's Contract Be If He Re-signs in TOR?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

I know that the common sentiment was that he was as good as gone with the big three deals, however it appears he is in their plans. This is amazing news for me personally as I am a huge fan of his. Thought it might be worth a thread as this news kind of unconfirms what was accepted by most Leaf fans and fans on here.

So what do you think his contract will look like?

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Nowhere does it say that they are to sign him. They say they look forward to signing him and being a Leaf for a long time. That does not mean that they are reaching a deal.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
the statement does not indicate whatsoever that the leafs are going to sign babcock. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Islanders probably looked forward to signing Tavares.

Gardiner might want to play in a market with less pressure and make more money.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Nowhere does it say that they are to sign him. They say they look forward to signing him and being a Leaf for a long time. That does not mean that they are reaching a deal.

It's different language than they used last year with JVR and Bozak. Babcock would praise the players and say that they will see how things play out basically every time asked. Here he is implying that they will be trying to Sign Gardiner when they didn't intend on signing JVR (Was told after season ended he would not be given an offer).

Last edited by a moderator:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
They should stop saying they are going to sign everyone. For a lot of reasons. One is it puts pressure to sign everyone and gives the players leverage. If they give out a massive contract to Matthews who hasn’t proven too much yet it’ll get worse. And I’ll get happier.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Is this really main board worthy? Nowhere does it say they're going to sign him. It's just a coach talking out loud.

What do you want him to say? "Nah, we dont want him back. Have you see our projected cap. You blem?"

Reactions: hotpaws

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I think signing him is a good idea if they have the cap space, solid 2nd pairing guy. I don’t see Dermott as a top 4 guy......this season. Dermott has potential to be top 4, maybe he eventually becomes trade bait if Gardiner signs.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
He's been a really good player for us but he's a high risk/return type of player. Quite often he plays very well for us but when he's off it's spectacular.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

I know that the common sentiment was that he was as good as gone with the big three deals, however it appears he is in their plans. This is amazing news for me personally as I am a huge fan of his. Thought it might be worth a thread as this news kind of unconfirms what was accepted by most Leaf fans and fans on here.

So what do you think his contract will look like?

I think you are reading too much into a Babcock quote. Babcock doesn't do the signing and trading for the Leafs, and Babs may have just been generous with his words.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Yeesh... No thank you. Gradiner puts up offensive numbers which do make his screw-ups in his own end worth the cost, but that is way too much money; that is Nylander money, and he is a much better investment to make at this point.

If the Leafs can lock up Gardiner for not too much more then he is making now, then they should go for it... but I don't think that is possible. They shouldn't be giving him top-pairing money though, because he just isn't that (although I think next off-season someone will offer him that, just like someone gave JVR $7 million this past summer). He is good, no doubt but in a cap era, the Leafs have to avoid overpaying him when there are other more valuable pieces to invest in first.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I wouldn't hate re-signing Gardiner but it has to be a reasonable cap hit and free of clauses. If the Leafs have a decent success rate with all the blueliners they've drafted lately it could get real crowded in a couple years and you want to keep all your options open.

Reactions: marty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad