What will the Avalanche do at 2?

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Yeah, like hanging onto the puck too long or trying to carry it into the zone himself and losing it. Trying to do too much is a poor decision, and at times leads to other poor decisions. Johnson is 6'4", can skate as well as a guy who's 6'0", is as strong as an ox, and has a cannon of a slap shot.

If his hockey sense is "fine", then what's holding him back from being in the same breath as Drew Doughty? Sure isn't his skill, at least not in my opinion.

Maturity. Confidence. Time.

Not every defencemen steps right in and starts winning Norris' at at the age of 23. Most dman take until their late 20's to fully develop.

Does Doughty have "poor hockey sense" because he went for a big hip check against Couture and missed leading to a goal?

No. Defencemen make mistakes sometimes. It happens. I don't think there is anything wrong at all with the way Erik Johnson reads the game for a defenceman his age. Lets not forget that EJ missed an entire year of development due to his knee surgery.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Maturity. Confidence. Time.

Not every defencemen steps right in and starts winning Norris' at at the age of 23. Most dman take until their late 20's to fully develop.

Does Doughty have "poor hockey sense" because he went for a big hip check against Couture and missed leading to a goal?

No. Defencemen make mistakes sometimes. It happens. I don't think there is anything wrong at all with the way Erik Johnson reads the game for a defenceman his age. Lets not forget that EJ missed an entire year of development due to his knee surgery.

My comments aren't about Johnson's potential, they're about his play in 2010-2011.

You're highlighting one mistake by Doughty. There's a difference between a bad play and consistent flaws in a person's game (and I'm not saying there aren't any in Doughty's game). In Johnson's case, sometimes he hangs onto the puck too long, and he certainly has a few pylon moments from time to time.

I'm not saying he'll never improve on these faults, but if he never becomes an "elite" defenseman in the NHL, it won't be because of a lack of talent. That's just my take on the situation, and I think a pretty fair analysis when replying to the initial poster, who questioned Johnson's perceived upside.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I can agree to disagree on what ails the Avs. We'll find out on draft day what Avs management is thinking.

Yeah, like hanging onto the puck too long or trying to carry it into the zone himself and losing it. Trying to do too much is a poor decision, and at times leads to other poor decisions. Johnson is 6'4", can skate as well as a guy who's 6'0", is as strong as an ox, and has a cannon of a slap shot.

If his hockey sense is "fine", then what's holding him back from being in the same breath as Drew Doughty? Sure isn't his skill, at least not in my opinion.

It's ironic, but this is essentially what got him drafted first overall, this one exceptional fundamental skill. It made all of his shortcomings hide in the shadows, so pundits bought into his potential.

The thing is, though, that even though he is still a very good skater, he is no longer exceptional due to his injury. This difference between very good and exceptional is enough that all of his natural shortcomings are no longer in the shadows. Now the potential is not so obvious or inevitable/imminent.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
I can agree to disagree on what ails the Avs. We'll find out on draft day what Avs management is thinking.

It's ironic, but this is essentially what got him drafted first overall, this one exceptional fundamental skill. It made all of his shortcomings hide in the shadows, so pundits bought into his potential.

The thing is, though, that even though he is still a very good skater, he is no longer exceptional due to his injury. This difference between very good and exceptional is enough that all of his natural shortcomings are no longer in the shadows. Now the potential is not so obvious or inevitable/imminent.

Dude stop spewing this BS. EJ wasn't drafted 1st overall because he was big and could skate fast. Scouts aren't stupid. EJ has a tremendous skill set. His outlet passes are very good, he has a bomb of a shot, he's physical, he is also very sound defensively.

There's a lot more to his game than size and speed. Give me a break.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Dude stop spewing this BS. EJ wasn't drafted 1st overall because he was big and could skate fast. Scouts aren't stupid. EJ has a tremendous skill set. His outlet passes are very good, he has a bomb of a shot, he's physical, he is also very sound defensively.

There's a lot more to his game than size and speed. Give me a break.

Just agree to disagree with him and leave it at that.

I had a different response, but have edited it. RS's advice (I realize his comment was directed at you) is reasonable, so I'll do my part and agree to disagree.

Last edited:

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
Before you respond, understand what you're responding to.

EJ is nowhere close to what you claim he is.

Give yourself a break and stop responding to this topic. You've got homer glasses on.

What did he say that was wrong?

Johnson can make excellent outlet passes, he does have a bomb of a shot, he does play physical, and despite the odd blunder in his own (that every D has) he is sound defensively.

I don't see what is so unreasonable about that. He didn't say that his shot was perfectly accurate every time, he didn't say that he never made mistakes in his own zone, and while he has excellent outlet passes he can hold the puck to long sometimes.

Nobody is saying he is some All Star D at this very moment. He has the tools to become one though, and he can work on the mistakes in his game. They aren't things that can't be fixed, and he wants to fix his game. As long as he doesn't get satisfied with how good he is, and continues to do everything he can to improve, I see no reason why he can't improve the short comings of his game.

Edit: As for the thread. I'm hoping that the Avs can get one of the Swedes with the #2 pick. Not sure who I want with the 11th overall, I guess it would probably depend on who they took with their first pick and who is on the board still. Hoping that we get somebody drop to us that was expected to go a bit higher.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
I had a different response, but have edited it. RS's advice (I realize his comment was directed at you) is reasonable, so I'll do my part and agree to disagree.

I'm responding to your comment that said "this is essentially what got him drafted 1st overall, this one exceptional fundamental skill" referring to his speed.

I responded by saying there are a lot more to EJ's game than his speed. Which there is.

But everyone has there opinions I guess. No harm done. Hey maybe Johnson is just a big dude that can skate really fast. Maybe I got my homer glasses on. What do I (and professional scouts) know?

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Lidstrom didn't win his first Norris until he was 31, everyone needs to relax on EJ.

NWAvs

Jan 20, 2009
Seattle
I can respect your opinion, but it doesn't work for me. I would not be comfortable with the Avs' wing depth if I were an Avs fan.

Other than Hejduk, who is in his golden years career wise, which of the Avs "regular" wingers don't have injury histories and/or concerns?

Add to that they don't really have any reasonable wing prospects in the system and it's enough cause for concern to warrant taking Landeskog at the 2nd slot.

That said, I can appreciate Avs' fans wanting Larsson. But it puzzles me that many of you believe Johnson is a stud in the making (I wholeheartedly do not believe he is) and still want Larsson even though Landeskog is held in essentially the same regard (and would appear to be the better fit organizational depth wise).

Anyway, to each his own, I suppose.

I still think semin would be a good fit, I'm in the minority though.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
Easily Larsson or Landeskog. I wouldn't go with RNH to be honest. The Avs have no need for him. RNH will be a star, but he's not going to help them get back to where they need to be. They need Larsson.

KingJet*

Matters who Edmonton takes,

If RNH, then they take Larsson
If Larsson, they take Landeskog

so basically either way they take a Swede... or they trade down

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Bumped.

I am still on the Huberdeau bandwagon at this point in time. I've always said I don't see them passing on Larsson...to add that kind of a rock to a franchise...but Landeskog's game is the exact type of game this franchise drools over and drafts for.

I truly hope it's one of those 3 tho.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Bumped.

I am still on the Huberdeau bandwagon at this point in time. I've always said I don't see them passing on Larsson...to add that kind of a rock to a franchise...but Landeskog's game is the exact type of game this franchise drools over and drafts for.

I truly hope it's one of those 3 tho.

That's interesting. I never even considered Huberdeau as a possible pick to Colorado but I guess looking at it I can see it. Huberdeau and Duchene would make magic together, I'm not so sure how Landeskog would fit with him and Colorado already has a solid young defensive group coming up.

I see there pick either being Huberdeau or Landeskog.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I am guessing Landeskog has a slight edge over Larsson(but wouldn't be surprised if Larsson was there pick) with an outside shot of Huberdeau(who looks like he more likely will be wing in the NHL)

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
Would Avs fans rather have Larsson + Zibenejad/McNeil or Landeskog + Siemens?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
That's interesting. I never even considered Huberdeau as a possible pick to Colorado but I guess looking at it I can see it. Huberdeau and Duchene would make magic together, I'm not so sure how Landeskog would fit with him and Colorado already has a solid young defensive group coming up.

I see there pick either being Huberdeau or Landeskog.

Well Landeskog would also be a good fit and would likely slide onto Duchene's LW as soon as next year.

Huberdeau MIGHT take a year longer, but I think he would also fit on one of the top two LW's if they did take him.

Just depends if they want one of those two up front or Larsson.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
They should defiantly take Landeskog. Larsson's offensive numbers have regressed from last year and I'm not even sure if he's the best d-man in this draft. Dougie Hamilton will surprise a lot of people.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Would Avs fans rather have Larsson + Zibenejad/McNeil or Landeskog + Siemens?

Wow this was insanely hard for me because I love Zibenejad and McNeill, but I would take Landeskog/Siemens.

Huberdeau/Landeskog (I will also include Larsson) + Siemens/McNeill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad