What Will Take Longer, The Search For the Oilers New GM or OJ's Search For the Real Killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The new GM needs to have a firm grasp on analytics. It’s ok if he’s not in the Dubas, Chayka mould per se but needs to understand it’s a huge part of building a team. It is starting to look like analytics is going to be more important in the future of the NHL than a good eye.

Unless you have an army of telepathic scouts you are only as good as their leader and no one is perfect. I would lean towards a younger numbers driven GM over a guy like Hunter IMO. Eakins has dirtied the water when it comes to Toronto’s systems overrated staff though so I could be wrong on him.
Lol I think you are mistaken or mislead about what Dubas has actually done in Toronto.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Lol I think you are mistaken or mislead about what Dubas has actually done in Toronto.

My comment wasn’t a endorsement of either Dubas or Chayka. I just meant that analytics is a huge part of the future NHL. If the next GM dosent have a full grasp on its value they shouldn’t be hired. More of an equilibrium, not saying, Hunter dosent have that. I just don’t think this team can afford to gamble on another GM that thinks he’s a genius.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
So obviously when an organization has interviews it's no just one guy (bobby nicks) doing the interview. You'd generally like to get a few people in the org viewing and judging the candidate i would assume. So who would those others be? I would assume Kevin Lowe and McTavish at least. and maybe Keith and Wayne Gretzky? So any successful candidate would have to appeal to the obc? and is that a good thing?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
So obviously when an organization has interviews it's no just one guy (bobby nicks) doing the interview. You'd generally like to get a few people in the org viewing and judging the candidate i would assume. So who would those others be? I would assume Kevin Lowe and McTavish at least. and maybe Keith and Wayne Gretzky? So any successful candidate would have to appeal to the obc? and is that a good thing?

That's basically why this process is likely doomed without hiring someone like Gillis as the POHO and letting him choose the GM.

Reactions: darkwave09

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Not getting the love for Guerin. Supposedly WBS has been a mess since hes been in charge of them and the Penguins are dying a slow death as a team because of bad moves by the GM that Guerin is under.

Verbeek and McCrimmon are the guys that I'd be looking at but we also needs a POHO that knows wtf he's doing and keeping tabs on the league and the players in it unlike Bobby Burgers whose job description until recently has not included that.

Burgers is making his decision on May 1st. We won't interview McCrimmon

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I'm 100% ok with Hunter as GM. Guy was 100% reason they picked Marner over Strome/Hanifin. I know it's one pick but thats a huge decision that he made correctly. Chose skill (which is what we need) over size.

London while being accused of some shady dealings with player acquisition, still PUMPS out NHL talent. Not like these guys end up there and become nothing. London is a pro hockey factory.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Nice diatribe. Too bad it has absolutely nothing to do with the point.
The point is that we will find out exactly how serious the org is about change (and how much autonomy the new GM has) by virtue of who the new GM is forced to take on.
Its pretty simple really.

No. You are the one who missed the point clearly. Its already been told to that Chia had full autonomy...by several people who actually know more than Joe Schmoe fan and their social media degree on the subject.

Your whole argument is that the OBC are running things. I didnt miss the point just cuz it doesn't fit your narrative

Plus...why do we have to wait and see what autonomy the GM gets? It's already been outlined he won't have full autonomy. Or is it b/c some ppl want to play
Good trade=new gm
Bad trade=OBC

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
No. You are the one who missed the point clearly. Its already been told to that Chia had full autonomy...by several people who actually know more than Joe Schmoe fan and their social media degree on the subject.

Your whole argument is that the OBC are running things. I didnt miss the point just cuz it doesn't fit your narrative

I dont know how many times this has to be repeated to you. You just dont seem to get it.

It doesnt matter who said what.

It matters how much autonomy the new GM has and the measure of that isnt what Bobby N or anybody else says.
The only measure of how much autonomy the new GM has is IF he is able to hire his own staff or if he is forced to keep on any members of the OBC.
The only way we will know for sure is when we see how this all shakes down before the start of next season.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I dont know how many times this has to be repeated to you. You just dont seem to get it.

It doesnt matter who said what.

It matters how much autonomy the new GM has and the measure of that isnt what Bobby N or anybody else says.
The only measure of how much autonomy the new GM has is IF he is able to hire his own staff or if he is forced to keep on any members of the OBC.
The only way we will know for sure is when we see how this all shakes down before the start of next season.

But Chia had his own staff and you refuse to believe that

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
What are you talking about? Chia was forced to take on MacT and Howsen.
You do know that right?

What part of
"The OBC are not secretly running things" and "MacT and Lowe were demoted/shuffled into other positions away from Oiler hockey ops"

do you not understand?

Reactions: KYams17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad