What Will Take Longer, The Search For the Oilers New GM or OJ's Search For the Real Killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
@DecadeofDarkness makes a valid point.
Why not deal with the logic around his statement instead of deflecting to something irrelevant?

Logic? LMAO. What logic? Has anybody from the actual organization approached him or you and gave you direct info?
So far the only ppl crying about the OBC are fans, Gregor who is far from an insider( and in his rants clarifys he's only spitballing) and Brownlee..another outside voice

Yet when Bobby Nick sets the record straight...he is lying.:laugh: When Stauff, the most informed insider, sets the record straight...he is apparently being bribed in pizza slices to lie lol

Then there is common sense that is the biggest slap in the face. Bobby Nick is on the hunt for a GM. He told he was. Leaks are now coming out that he is. People like Dreger and Freidman are saying he is. He himself told you he is. K Gretz also said he is only part of the search. That's one big lie apparently with multiple people sticking their reputations on the line to maintain it?

Yet when someone posts the same ol diatribe about the OBC and their puppet pulling strings..it's "valid"?

Gimme a break

There's literally nothing valid about his point other than it's the accepted narrative, which in this case is the flavor of the month, making it "valid"

Truth be told..there is more validity coming from the organization right now than on these boards

This whole thing is at a boiling point, more so than ever. Not that it wasn't before..but it's critical. And yet the only thing people want to cling to is that Katz, a business man, is sitting at home laughing his ass off pranking the fanbase. Give that ponder for a moment?

Oilers are a business like any other. Has Katz made mistakes? Sure he has. Is he still continuing to make himself a mockery? Get real. His intention is not to play legos. Bobby Nick, right or wrong, is actually looking to right the ship

So if there is so much "validity" being passed around here, how come a pro team like the LA Kings would hire T Mac. ? Last I checked he is a disgrace of a coach. You'd think the Kings would do something as simple as checking a hockey forum for some "accurate" due diligence?

Last edited:
Reactions: McBooya42

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Logic? LMAO. What logic? Has anybody from the actual organization approached him or you and gave you direct info?
So far the only ppl crying about the OBC are fans, Gregor who is far from an insider( and in his rants clarifys he's only spitballing) and Brownlee..another outside voice

Yet when Bobby Nick sets the record straight...he is lying.:laugh: When Stauff, the most informed insider, sets the record straight...he is apparently being bribed in pizza slices to lie lol

Then there is common sense that is the biggest slap in the face. Bobby Nick is on the hunt for a GM. He told he was. Leaks are now coming out that he is. People like Dreger and Freidman are saying he is. He himself told you he is. K Gretz also said he is only part of the search. That's one big lie apparently with multiple people sticking their reputations on the line to maintain it?

Yet when someone posts the same ol diatribe about the OBC and their puppet pulling strings..it's "valid"?

Gimme a break

There's literally nothing valid about his point other than it's the accepted narrative, which in this case is the flavor of the month, making it "valid"

Truth be told..there is more validity coming from the organization right now than on these boards

This whole thing is at a boiling point, more so than ever. Not that it wasn't before..but it's critical. And yet the only thing people want to cling to is that Katz, a business man, is sitting at home laughing his ass off pranking the fanbase. Give that ponder for a moment?

Oilers are a business like any other. Has Katz made mistakes? Sure he has. Is he still continuing to make himself a mockery? Get real. His intention is not to play legos. Bobby Nick, right or wrong, is actually looking to right the ship

So if there is so much "validity" being passed around here, how come a pro team like the LA Kings would hire T Mac. ? Last I checked he is a disgrace of a coach. You'd think the Kings would do something as simple as checking a hockey forum for some "accurate" due diligence?
I can't like this post enough...seriously this board has been a bit cringey to read lately. Its embarrassing.
At least 98% referencing the OBC club and how its influencing the choice. Give it a rest please...

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

EJTlEci_JJm0QXNmUg5C_5NbeWyHeCN_1W2tQ61opjw.png

MacT with Howson and Green

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015

Gimme a break

It’s been 12/13 years of shit, how is that not a valid argument? Wether it’s the OBCs fault is not relevant, it just matters what the public perception is. It’s a complete clown show in the public eye, and I’m not just referring to the population in Edm.

If Katz was so dead set on fixing this he would clean house. That’s not his intention, it’s obvious. He is loyal to a fault and he dosent want to piss of his friends/idols.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think hunter would be the worst option. Whats his claim to fame? Mitch marner? That's it?

He was passed over in Toronto. We'd be taking their sloppy seconds.

What's any of these guys claim to fame of the first time GMs? Verbeek, McCrimmon, Hunter, Guerin, Gretzky. They all have question marks, none have extensive NHL history in an assistant GM capacity. Unless you want a retread (I don't), you're getting an unknown.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Who's DJ Smith? I read they mentioned him as Coach and Hunter as GM last night?

Never mind, Assistant Coach with the Leafs...do these guys even think outside the box anymore? It's like they just pick up on whatever guy in TO is standing right in front of them

Reactions: KYams17

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada

Never mind, Assistant Coach with the Leafs...do these guys even think outside the box anymore? It's like they just pick up on whatever guy in TO is standing right in front of them

Where did you see DJ Smith? He's the assistant coach of the leafs and he coached the Oshawa Generals to a memorial cup.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016

Toronto fans don't like DJ Smith as a assistant coach.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Where did you see DJ Smith? He's the assistant coach of the leafs and he coached the Oshawa Generals to a memorial cup.

Just a random on Twitter attacking Eklund for regurgitating what they claim was said on TV last night.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
What's any of these guys claim to fame of the first time GMs? Verbeek, McCrimmon, Hunter, Guerin, Gretzky. They all have question marks, none have extensive NHL history in an assistant GM capacity. Unless you want a retread (I don't), you're getting an unknown.

Id say Verbeek, McCrimmon and Guerin are part of solid organizations and are number twos that could easily be promoted.

Toronto had no issues cutting ties with Hunter. Showed he was expendable in an average organization.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Id say Verbeek, McCrimmon and Guerin are part of solid organizations and are number twos that could easily be promoted.

Toronto had no issues cutting ties with Hunter. Showed he was expendable in an average organization.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Hunter left on his own accord when Dubas became GM.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Dang I hope they at least gave Mike Futa a call. I know he didn’t want to leave the Kings last year as he didn’t want to be a distraction when he thought the kings would be competitive, but I wonder if he’s changed his tune since. He has a terrific ability for scouting talent, respected around the league, his players all love him, he has enough experience to be proven while progressive enough to not be stuck in the old NHL model. Understandably he might not want to join this mess, but I’d hope they’d at least check in on him.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Gimme a break

Nice diatribe. Too bad it has absolutely nothing to do with the point.
The point is that we will find out exactly how serious the org is about change (and how much autonomy the new GM has) by virtue of who the new GM is forced to take on.
Its pretty simple really.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not getting the love for Guerin. Supposedly WBS has been a mess since hes been in charge of them and the Penguins are dying a slow death as a team because of bad moves by the GM that Guerin is under.

Verbeek and McCrimmon are the guys that I'd be looking at but we also needs a POHO that knows wtf he's doing and keeping tabs on the league and the players in it unlike Bobby Burgers whose job description until recently has not included that.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nice diatribe. Too bad it has absolutely nothing to do with the point.
The point is that we will find out exactly how serious the org is about change (and how much autonomy the new GM has) by virtue of who the new GM is forced to take on.
Its pretty simple really.

Come on Guy, you realize that Buchberger was the #1 candidate of 4 different head coaches for assistant coach when he was here don't you? :sarcasm:

Reactions: TB12

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Being the GM of the Oilers is like being a one legged man in an ass kicking competition or a boxer with one hand tied behind his back because of the clowns that he has to inherit.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
The new GM needs to have a firm grasp on analytics. It’s ok if he’s not in the Dubas, Chayka mould per se but needs to understand it’s a huge part of building a team. It is starting to look like analytics is going to be more important in the future of the NHL than a good eye.

Unless you have an army of telepathic scouts you are only as good as their leader and no one is perfect. I would lean towards a younger numbers driven GM over a guy like Hunter IMO. Eakins has dirtied the water when it comes to Toronto’s systems overrated staff though so I could be wrong on him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Not getting the love for Guerin. Supposedly WBS has been a mess since hes been in charge of them and the Penguins are dying a slow death as a team because of bad moves by the GM that Guerin is under.

Verbeek and McCrimmon are the guys that I'd be looking at but we also needs a POHO that knows wtf he's doing and keeping tabs on the league and the players in it unlike Bobby Burgers whose job description until recently has not included that.
The experience thing is why Mike Gillis should be POHO hiring the staff he wants. He's studied organizations around the world and designed a new type of management structure that he'd bring in. It makes too much sense to me. You could also have Gillis running things like Burke did until he hires a GM so you could interview McCrimmon when he's available.

I feel like it's possible McCrimmon knows he would get the Seattle job and he would prefer to be there though.

Reactions: TB12 and McDNicks17

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm surprised the media isn't hyping up Norm Maciver more.

Eight years as the Assistant GM in Chicago and he played here with the Old Boys back in the early 90s.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The new GM needs to have a firm grasp on analytics. It’s ok if he’s not in the Dubas, Chayka mould per se but needs to understand it’s a huge part of building a team. It is starting to look like analytics is going to be more important in the future of the NHL than a good eye.

Unless you have an army of telepathic scouts you are only as good as their leader and no one is perfect. I would lean towards a younger numbers driven GM over a guy like Hunter IMO. Eakins has dirtied the water when it comes to Toronto’s systems overrated staff though so I could be wrong on him.

Neither Chayka or Dubas have done worth a fiddler's fart IMO. I want guys that have a proven "eye" (no telling what % of his decisions were eye vs. analytics, but the track record is proven) for identifying talent. Verbeek has been in Tampa and seen a huge influx of talent over the years and McCrimmon had a big hand in scouting 1/2 the league for the expansion draft and helping Vegas to get off to a red hot start as a franchise. Chayka has traded Strome and Domi away and now they are flourishing. Dubas bent over and let Matthews get his way with a 5 year contract and will be bent over by Marner next.

The experience thing is why Mike Gillis should be POHO hiring the staff he wants. He's studied organizations around the world and designed a new type of management structure that he'd bring in. It makes too much sense to me. You could also have Gillis running things like Burke did until he hires a GM so you could interview McCrimmon when he's available.

Gillis or someone like him would be fine for the role. Someone that is there to say "why in the hell would we want Manning or Petrovic? Are you off your meds?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad