What Will Take Longer, The Search For the Oilers New GM or OJ's Search For the Real Killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I wonder if Gillis is one of the top 5 candidates. His “vision” someone posted here is very close to the leadership style Katz built his billions with (Oilers withstanding). If the Oilers did hire Gillis, and his vision was followed, I think the Oilers could have one of the best front offices in the league.

herestohoping

Nov 14, 2009
Meh. There's diminishing returns to money once you have enough to comfortably live.

I don't think I'd really notice a difference between making $150k and $3M a year, so might as well choose $150k, success and happiness.

Uhh what? Are you crazy? 20x the salary and no lifestyle change. You better believe there would be. That house you've always wanted? Done. That car you've always wanted? Done. What people dream to have set up in retirement? Done in a year.

There's a huge difference between 150k and 3mill don't kid yourself. 20 years worth.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Uhh what? Are you crazy? 20x the salary and no lifestyle change. You better believe there would be. That house you've always wanted? Done. That car you've always wanted? Done. What people dream to have set up in retirement? Done in a year.

There's a huge difference between 150k and 3mill don't kid yourself. 20 years worth.

There'd be a lifestyle change of having to listen to Lowe, MacT, Green and the boys on a daily basis.

I'll take the house and car I could buy with a $150k salary haha.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
There'd be a lifestyle change of be having to listen to Lowe, MacT, Green and the boys on a daily basis.

I'll take the house and car I could buy with a $150k salary haha.

Um, no you wouldn’t, and if you did, people would question your intelligence to be a GM in the first place.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I wonder if Gillis is one of the top 5 candidates. His “vision” someone posted here is very close to the leadership style Katz built his billions with (Oilers withstanding). If the Oilers did hire Gillis, and his vision was followed, I think the Oilers could have one of the best front offices in the league.
100% he should get the job.

I'm convinced there isn't a better option out there.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Gillis as POHO. Not sure about him being the GM.

If he did get hired he doesn't strike me as someone who would keep the OBC losers around.
He said he doesn't want to be a GM, he'd come back to the NHL in a president role and hire the staff.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013

Gillis has some serious issues like how he turned two goalies into zero.

His putrid drafting record.

How do you reconcile these points?

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Gillis has some serious issues like how he turned two goalies into zero.

His putrid drafting record.

How do you reconcile these points?
Markstrom was one of the Canucks best players all year. Getting Horvat was a proactive move.

He's also said he would have changed the scouting staff earlier, that's a regret of his.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
The organization has no credibility and rightfully so.
Under Katz's guidance the team has been an embarrassing failure riddled with mismanagement. People like MacT have been employed in the organization for the entirety of Katzs ownership surviving any and all GM changes along the way. Katz's big hire (Bobby N) has been caught on multiple occasions saying things that the average teenager would know better than to say but yet we are supposed to just believe everything he says.

Case in point...according to @bobbythebrain, we are all just supposed to believe Bobby N and everything he says and also pretend that the VP of hockey operations has no say in running the big team.

Apparently if we dont believe that unsupportable narrative then it makes us all conspiracy theorists.

The world according to @bobbythebrain. Oh the irony. :help:
Please don’t take this as me defending MacT. He needs firing along with the rest. However, I think @bobbythebrain is reacting to the bull shit narrative (not your narrative I understand) that so many people are pushing on this board.

Unless I’m mistaken Chiarelli reported to Nicholson and Katz, not MacT. Unless I’m mistaken it was Chiarelli (and maybe his boss) whose signatures appear on the myriad brutal trades and signings, not MacT’s.

There are a bunch of disgruntled Chiarelli fans on this board (again, not you) who can’t stand the fact that they were horribly wrong about the man. They are embarrassed that they couldn’t read the writing on the wall after the Reinhart fiasco ... and then wanted Chiarelli to be given even more chances after the Hall debacle. :shakehead I posted many times last season and during the off season about the number of free passes Chiarelli was being given by a significant portion of this fan base. Got mocked and confined to one thread for my trouble. Now these same fans want Nicholson retained to choose the new GM and are using double speak Stauffer as their source to blame everything on MacT .... and worse, pretending that they wanted Chiarelli fired all along. It’s disgusting.

I can see why @bobbythebrain is getting a little heated about the topic.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Meh. There's diminishing returns to money once you have enough to comfortably live.

I don't think I'd really notice a difference between making $150k and $3M a year, so might as well choose $150k, success and happiness.
150k a year to 3 million is a completely different lifestyle you’d be afforded.

You would definitely notice

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
the Sedin twins, Kesler, Luongo, Edler, Burrows and Bieksa were all there before he arrived

basically the entire core built by Burke/Nonis...not Gillis
Still took them to the Stanley cup finals with Presidents trophy and GM of the year. Supporting cast is just as important as the core. Being an Oiler fan you should know that. Or if the next Oilers GM does well he shouldn’t get any credit because the “core” McDavid, Nuge, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse were all there before he arrived?

Reactions: MessierII

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Still took them to the Stanley cup finals with Presidents trophy and GM of the year. Supporting cast is just as important as the core.
so he's basically another Chiarelli? ;)

Being an Oiler fan you should know that. Or if the next Oilers GM does well he shouldn’t get any credit because the “core” McDavid, Nuge, Draisaitl, Klefbom, Nurse were all there before he arrived?
depends on the sustained success the next GM has with the core IMO...that means good drafting and development
something Gillis never did in Vancouver
Gillis added some nice support pieces...but ultimately got fired for horrendous drafting and bad contracts, the team got progressively worse..

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Please don’t take this as me defending MacT. He needs firing along with the rest. However, I think @bobbythebrain is reacting to the bull **** narrative (not your narrative I understand) that so many people are pushing on this board.

Unless I’m mistaken Chiarelli reported to Nicholson and Katz, not MacT. Unless I’m mistaken it was Chiarelli (and maybe his boss) whose signatures appear on the myriad brutal trades and signings, not MacT’s.

There are a bunch of disgruntled Chiarelli fans on this board (again, not you) who can’t stand the fact that they were horribly wrong about the man. They are embarrassed that they couldn’t read the writing on the wall after the Reinhart fiasco ... and then wanted Chiarelli to be given even more chances after the Hall debacle. :shakehead I posted many times last season and during the off season about the number of free passes Chiarelli was being given by a significant portion of this fan base. Got mocked and confined to one thread for my trouble. Now these same fans want Nicholson retained to choose the new GM and are using double speak Stauffer as their source to blame everything on MacT .... and worse, pretending that they wanted Chiarelli fired all along. It’s disgusting.

I can see why @bobbythebrain is getting a little heated about the topic.

I really appreciate this post and I see where you are coming from. I know that there have been some unreasonable positions taken up by posters the last couple of years.
As you stated I just dont think I represent that but yet the responses to my posts (and others) were such that we were being included as being unreasonable.

I just really want (like all of us in here) to see this organization succeed and for me the biggest issue is with Katz's meddling (which hopefully has ended) and his loyalty (should I say Loilty :D ) to friends like MacT. That second issue (MacT, Howsen et al) is the most obvious common denominator in terms of this team failing year after year after year.
So I took issue with @bobbythebrain suggesting that anyone that thinks MacT et al has a say in hockey Ops decisions is a Conspiracy Theorist. Its a BS position to take IMO because its not supported by reality. Anybody in hockey Ops is obviously there because he has input into hockey Ops. It couldnt possibly be more obvious.
So the irony is very rich to throw that phrase around (at myself and others) and at the same time endorse a POV (someone can be in hockey ops but really has no input) that isnt supportable by anything based in reality.

So for me the biggest tell in terms of whether or not the Katz nonsense has ended is what the Managerial network looks like after the new GM is in place. As @Austerlitz pointed out that will tell us all exactly how much autonomy the new GM has and as such it will also tell us if the organization is committed to winning as a priority or just continuing on with the Cronyism.

Lastly I took issue with the disingenuous way @bobbythebrain dealt with the common sense approach around that perspective. It was as if he strongly suspected that MacT was still going to be fully entrenched in Hockey Ops once the new GM was in place and he was defending that position in advance.

So I have no issue at all personally with @bobbythebrain...I just didnt appreciate his approach in trying to discredit posters (and not even dealing with the content of their post) just because they held an position that was in opposition to his.

I also want to address a specific part of your post (the bolded statement). The issue for me wasnt WHO Chia reported to. It was the how and whys around MacT surviving all the fired GM's and still having a voice in hockey Ops decisions.
Considering how incredibly bad this team has been the last 13 years (coincidentally enough the entire duration of Katz's ownership) why is MacT STILL a part of the Management structure?
How is this possible if Cronyism isnt the answer?

So I just dont see how anybody can defend MacT and at the same time criticize anyone that turns a skeptical eye at MacT and his role.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
so he's basically another Chiarelli? ;)

depends on the sustained success the next GM has with the core IMO...that means good drafting and development
something Gillis never did in Vancouver
Gillis added some nice support pieces...but ultimately got fired for horrendous drafting and bad contracts, the team got progressively worse..
The Canucks did have sustained success under him though. The big dog of our division for like ever success.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
the Sedin twins, Kesler, Luongo, Edler, Burrows and Bieksa were all there before he arrived

basically the entire core built by Burke/Nonis...not Gillis
You could say this about any GM unless it’s Sather or Poile someone who’s been there for decades.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
@guymez

I call it conspiracy theorist b/c people are so hell bent on 1 narrative that even the truth is ignored to maintain support of that narrative

Bobby Nick said something that wasn't even specific to the Oilers. He flat out told people that the common practice among the NHL is for GM's to have full autonomy.

This can be supported by the recent Hextal firing, where even the VP Holmgren and the owner Scott had no say, nor influence on the decisions of the clubs roster, and were kept in the dark and also weren't needed for approval. Also, yet another example, is Dubas in TO. The owner flat out told everyone he was given complete control

Yet when, Bobby Nick, and the most knowledgeable insider, Stauffer, come out and tell everyone that this rather common practice was indeed the case here also...it is discredited as lying, dishonest, schill,

Lest we forget that it this was a well accepted truth when Chia was hired. Oh how the short memories coincidentally fade. Now, years later, when things did not go to plan, that narrative has all but been ignored for the sake of a new one

So ya, calling it a conspiracy theory is actually very fitting

And the comical irony of it all is the OBC didn't meddle in Chia's case, but moving forward, they likely will be able to as per Bob saying full autonomy will no longer be cart blanche. So many people's worst case nightmares will come to be reality, and hopefully, the team w/ the new GM will turn it around. Oh what a bittersweet irony that would be

Reactions: Burnt Biscuits

mooseman7

Jan 10, 2004
Visit site
NO MORE RETREADS THAT HAVE FAILED FROM EITHER HERE OR PREVIOUSLY FROM OTHER ORGANIZATIONS!!!!!
Sorry for the caps but please! Have we learned nothing ? we need people hired with a successful background , not a background of learning from previous failures.
One name to throw out for head coach might be Chris Knoblauch? Alberta guy , successful resume in junior. Relationship with McDavid, smart guy , good ,young ,up and coming coach . Might be worth a look .

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
NO MORE RETREADS THAT HAVE FAILED FROM EITHER HERE OR PREVIOUSLY FROM OTHER ORGANIZATIONS!!!!!
Sorry for the caps but please! Have we learned nothing ? we need people hired with a successful background , not a background of learning from previous failures.
One name to throw out for head coach might be Chris Knoblauch? Alberta guy , successful resume in junior. Relationship with McDavid, smart guy , good ,young ,up and coming coach . Might be worth a look .

Most successful people learn from failures. Look at Torts in Clb, currently coaching one of the strongest teams in the playoffs. Same with Berube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->