What Will Take Longer, The Search For the Oilers New GM or OJ's Search For the Real Killer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
And this organization has credibility... how exactly?

The organization has no credibility and rightfully so.
Under Katz's guidance the team has been an embarrassing failure riddled with mismanagement. People like MacT have been employed in the organization for the entirety of Katzs ownership surviving any and all GM changes along the way. Katz's big hire (Bobby N) has been caught on multiple occasions saying things that the average teenager would know better than to say but yet we are supposed to just believe everything he says.

Case in point...according to @bobbythebrain, we are all just supposed to believe Bobby N and everything he says and also pretend that the VP of hockey operations has no say in running the big team.

Apparently if we dont believe that unsupportable narrative then it makes us all conspiracy theorists.

The world according to @bobbythebrain. Oh the irony. :help:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
The organization has no credibility and rightfully so.
Under Katz's guidance the team has been an embarrassing failure riddled with mismanagement. People like MacT have been employed in the organization for the entirety of Katzs ownership surviving any and all GM changes along the way. Katz's big hire (Bobby N) has been caught on multiple occasions saying things that the average teenager would know better than to say but yet we are supposed to just believe everything he says.

Case in point...according to @bobbythebrain, we are all just supposed to believe Bobby N and everything he says and also pretend that the VP of hockey operations has no say in running the big team.

Apparently if we dont believe that unsupportable narrative then it makes us all conspiracy theorists.

The world according to @bobbythebrain. Oh the irony. :help:

ya... i'm not sure why it's a surprise to bobbythebrain that the organization likely bends the truth a lot. bobbynicks is a politician... he can either make things sound like he wants you to believe they are without "lying" or he can flat out bend the "truth". i wouldn't trust anything that comes out of the mouths of bobby nicks or most of the obc and katz.... or at least take it with a massive grain of salt.

it's kind of ridiculous to think the old guard didn't have a HUGE say in the reinhart and hall deals. you can even see the look of disappointment in chia's face when he made that reinhart deal.... almost like he was STRONGLY suggested to make that move and didn't have much of a REAL say. kind of like your boss going, "hey Johnson, we're not forcing you to but, i strongly suggest you come in on weekend to finish those files". if you don't you're a$$ is fired maybe not right away but maybe several months down the road kind of deal.

maybe it's after hearing suggestion after suggestion from the old guard that chia finally said, in his final year, "f*** it, if i'm going down i'm going down on my own terms and making all the moves without any bs from the obc", and locked himself in his office and stopped communications with obc etc like they said. maybe the truth was he did do that in his final year. that's what i mean by bobby nicks bending the truth. it's true but maybe only for the final few months of chia's tenure here.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
ya... i'm not sure why it's a surprise to bobbythebrain that the organization likely bends the truth a lot. bobbynicks is a politician... he can either make things sound like he wants you to believe they are without "lying" or he can flat out bend the "truth". i wouldn't trust anything that comes out of the mouths of bobby nicks or most of the obc and katz.... or at least take it with a massive grain of salt.

it's kind of ridiculous to think the old guard didn't have a HUGE say in the reinhart and hall deals. you can even see the look of disappointment in chia's face when he made that reinhart deal.... almost like he was STRONGLY suggested to make that move and didn't have much of a REAL say. kind of like your boss going, "hey Johnson, we're not forcing you to but, i strongly suggest you come in on weekend to finish those files". if you don't you're a$$ is fired maybe not right away but maybe several months down the road kind of deal.

maybe it's after hearing suggestion after suggestion from the old guard that chia finally said, in his final year, "f*** it, if i'm going down i'm going down on my own terms and making all the moves without any bs from the obc", and locked himself in his office and stopped communications with obc etc like they said. maybe the truth was he did do that in his final year. that's what i mean by bobby nicks bending the truth. it's true but maybe only for the final few months of chia's tenure here.

Thats exactly it...who really knows with this team. There has been so much poor decision making and spin since Katz bought the team that much of the time the truth is impossible to discern.

What we do know for sure is that this team has no credibility and everything they say and do should be scrutinized and not just accepted outright like some on here want everyone to do.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Yes I’m sure McCrimmon would be set against getting a pay upgrade from 150k to 3-5M I’m sure he’d happily turn it down.

I don’t know what you do for work, but in my line of work there’s company’s I wouldn’t go to to ruin my career for any amount of money.

Reactions: KYams17

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Yes I’m sure McCrimmon would be set against getting a pay upgrade from 150k to 3-5M I’m sure he’d happily turn it down.
If he gets no other offers he might come here but if he has any other offers we are going to be last on the list.

Seattle is still looking for a GM.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I don’t know what you do for work, but in my line of work there’s company’s I wouldn’t go to to ruin my career for any amount of money.
If you go make 3m a year over 150k you could ruin your career and it would be good, you would have to be a idiot to not take a pay raise like that.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Lol. Talk about making things up.
For months Chia eluded to fixing the defense with a young player who can grow with the team. Then he tried getting said player in Hamiltion. He settled on Reinhart...a player who fit that exact description.

But ya...the OBF forced him to do it lol.

News flash. If Chia actually facilitated one of Hamilton, Subban or Shatenkirk
....how the F was he forced to take Reinhart?

What a leap

Last edited:

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
This team has missed 12 out of the last 13 post seasons under Katz and the OBC in the org. That FACT proves there is no accountability from the top. I have zero faith of a cup win unless there is a purge of the OBC.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
This team has missed 12 out of the last 13 post seasons under Katz and the OBC in the org. That FACT proves there is no accountability from the top. I have zero faith of a cup win unless there is a purge of the OBC.

The Oilers have played 11 seasons under Katz, not 13. The EIG employed the OBC and then some with even less accountability, or do you not remember the Prendergast era of Oilers drafting? Can you imagine if Ryan Smyth was promoted to assistant coach, coach and then GM in a three year period right after retirement? Because that's what Kevin Lowe got from the EIG 8 years before Katz was ever involved. I don't want to excuse the Katz administration here, there's certainly WAY more job security from these dudes than I'd like, but this is hardly unique to Katz or even worse under Katz. If anything they've been far quicker to fire, and far more likely to hire from the outside.

The chief archetect of the failure of the modern Oilers (read: McDavid era) is Peter Chiarelli. The team was not run the way that MacTavish ran it, or Tambellini, or Lowe. It just wasn't. In failing to identify how the last four failures have specifically failed, and lumping the last 13 years into one big failure, you stop the discussion to pinpoint specific issues that the team needs to work through today. The problems of 18/19 are not the problems of 14/15, or 11/12 or 08/09. The team being bad for so long is an issue unto itself, but specifically why they are bad today is WAY, way more important.

So while I completely do want to see a new GM with the ability to clean house on MacTavish, Howson and Green specifically, my greater interest is that they hire the right person to do the right thing for the Oilers and NOT to sit around peddling conspiracy theories about WHO IS REALLY RESPONSIBLE FOR REINHART~.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Super early right now but if sharks beat Vegas by Tuesday. U gotta think Nicholson interviews mcrimmon.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007

If you got a pay raise of 2.85 mil, you are making a stupid decision if you turn it down. Kelly McCrimmon is 58 years old. that raise, is worth 19 years of work. I dont care what kind of reputation, you take that money and RUN.

Dont forget that if you kick ass at your job, you will be known as a god. A team with mcdavid on it, has decent odds

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I'm indifferent about interviewing McCrimmon or not. Obviously the best case scenario would be to interview every candidate you can. We're talking about Hunter's track record and not seeing much, well it's the same thing for McCrimmon. No one knows how much of an impact he really had on Vegas being a contender from the start. Vegas has a full pro scouting staff, along with McPhee and McCrimmon. If anything the take away is that they hired the right people to be around them. It's also much different building a team from scratch and inheriting one that's in a bit of a mess. I'm sure he's eyeing up the Seattle job more than ours, despite McDavid and Draisaitl being here.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Meh. There's diminishing returns to money once you have enough to comfortably live.

I don't think I'd really notice a difference between making $150k and $3M a year, so might as well choose $150k, success and happiness.
No but it’s more than just about your own finances, with 3m a year you could set up your kids and other family members. Like if I had that sort of money I’d invest into farmland and things of that nature so my kids have a plan B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad