Salary Cap: What will Hughes do with our 8.8M in cap space heading into the season?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I would’ve traded for him (Lafreniere) instead of Newhook.
It was probably explored. The issue was probably that the Rangers wanted a heckuva lot more than 31, 37 and an excess contract.

Funnily enough, I think there is a 40% chance that Newhook may have a bigger impact in the coming years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
What would we say if Hughes offer sheets Lafreniere for one year at $6.4M?
Our 1st next year is too valuable to give up as compensation.

Hughes does not have $8M cap space to play with… he’s got zilch. Price won’t be put on LTIR till rosters are frozen and season about to start.

Big difference between off season LTIR vs in season in terms of enabling cap space utilization
He's listed as on LTIR right now.

Last year, the moment Monahan became available with a 1st, Hughes put Price on LTIR. He could do that again this year, no?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Our 1st next year is too valuable to give up as compensation.

He's listed as on LTIR right now.

Last year, the moment Monahan became available with a 1st, Hughes put Price on LTIR. He could do that again this year, no?

I'd agree with that but what if our 1st ends up around 13th which is what it cost for Dach? Lots of fans don't like Lafreniere's development but they also didn't like Dach's as well.

I probably wouldn't make that move but not one I automatically say no on. It's worth pondering about. Would there be backlash though? Rangers wanting revenge and they go after Guhle later.

I'm very curious to see what Lafreniere does in the next 2/3 years. Disapointing yes but that skill/potential is still there.

With any move like that, there is always risks/rewards.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I sure hope they explore it. We have the 1st and 3rd needed. We have the space. Laf fits the age group (2024 picks don't fit with the current core that much).

Unless you feel the Habs are atrocious enough and lucky enough to get Celebrini Eiserman... but we aren't Hawks and Pens lucky are we?

Worst case; nothing happens. Go for it, I'll roll the dice but my ballz aren't on the chopping block.

Ballz on the chopping block... come on now. We as fans have more to lose, while Hughes will just move on to Boston or wherever and will still be stacking boatloads of $.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would’ve traded for him instead of Newhook. He was ranked as an above average first in his draft class. Still an outside shit at finding his game if he was here with MSL.

An offer sheet? No.

I don't think the late 1st and early 2nd gets it done though. Rangers are likely looking for someone close to his potential but still on their ELC.

Offer sheet is something to ponder but we would have to dig into the risk/reward factor deeper. I'm not drooling to make that move but it's not something I would automatically say no on.

I'm curious what kind of contract he gets if he stays in NY. Do they go 1 year or try the 2-3 year bridge?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
If Hoffman and Armia are NHL caliber players, why does no one want them for free?

If it's because their contracts are too big, they're welcome to mutually terminate their contracts, as Zadina did, and go sign somewhere else to play in the NHL.

If Hoffman fails to make the team out of training camp, sure, send him down. As it stands, he was our 4th leading scorer last year so I think its unlikely. If Hoffman is not NHL calibre, then neither is 2/3 of our forward group. Armia is a different story.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why not just trade for him?

Are you offering a 2024 1st and 3rd? Not sure I would.

How about roster players instead? Rangers need to be cap efficient. Do Harris and Evans help them fill roster spots at reasonable cap hits? Ylonen for their 4th line.

Would you be bolder and trade RHP as the main piece for Lafreniere?

What is Lafreniere's true potential?

I think they hold onto him unless they get someone close to his potential but still on their ELC. We would do the same if we were in the same shoes.

RHP, Ylonen, Harris, Evans won't get it done. They'll ask for Slaf IMO.

I do think they would trade Lafreniere but only if it's potential vs potential and they get someone on a ELC so they can get the cap advantage that way. I'm not saying we should offer sheet him but the one year offer sheet at $6.4M really puts the Rangers in a tough spot. Then I wonder, what is our pick? 10-16 range? If we have a healthy season and the kids take more steps forward.

6 years from Suzuki to Reinbacher. When Suzuki is 27/28, Reinbacher is 21/22. Lafreniere would be 25/26. 2024 1st would be 20/21.

So yeah, do we believe in Lafreniere like we believed in Dach before last season? Seems like the same believe or faith to me. And at a similar cost to acquire... Romanov/13th+ value.

Last edited:

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I don't think I see a need for Hughes to spend the remaining cap space right away here. I'd rather keep that space open to take on a contract or two through the year in a trade where we could accumulate more futures. Plus, we will have some other signings to take care of in the next year or two that will require some cap space.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Hughes does not have $8M cap space to play with… he’s got zilch. Price won’t be put on LTIR till rosters are frozen and season about to start.

Big difference between off season LTIR vs in season in terms of enabling cap space utilization
You don't think they would do another Monahan trade if something like that came up?

Reactions: Runner77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That would be....horrible

I understand the negative perception but it's not far off from the price we paid for Dach. Unless you think the Habs have historic injuries and finish bottom 5 again? And you think we find someone better with that 2024 1st?

I'm assuming because we have Dach and we made the trade where he performed fairly well for us, you will say Dach >>>> Lafreniere?

Comes down to this...

Romanov for 13th
vs
Dach (before last season)
vs
Lafreniere
vs
Habs 2024 1st (anywhere in the 5-16 range)

You don't think they would do another Monahan trade if something like that came up?
I think they would but looking at the expiring guys who will be UFA after next season, I'm not sure that circumstance is there. Who's in cap trouble that has a Marleau or Monahan? Do you or anybody else have any names I can't think about?

The Monahan/1st and Marleau/1st just does not happen that often.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Ballz on the chopping block... come now. We as fans have more to lose, while Hughes will just move on to Boston or wherever and will still be stacking boatloads of $.
That’s a good POV, I respect that.

He would legit put his career on that move. He’s be a genius, or be ridiculed into oblivion.

But yeah as fans, we could lose big time.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
The only move Hughes should be making IMO with the available cap space is to rent it to other teams looking to offload salary with players on a 1 year deal. For 1st round picks, ala Monahan.

There's no reason to be signing any veteran players to any deals with term at this point.
I agree. Still 2 seasons away from competing for a playoff spot. At that time, that's when you spend.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'd agree with that but what if our 1st ends up around 13th which is what it cost for Dach? Lots of fans don't like Lafreniere's development but they also didn't like Dach's as well.

I probably wouldn't make that move but not one I automatically say no on. It's worth pondering about. Would there be backlash though? Rangers wanting revenge and they go after Guhle later.

I'm very curious to see what Lafreniere does in the next 2/3 years. Disapointing yes but that skill/potential is still there.

With any move like that, there is always risks/rewards.
There's risk if you give up the 13th pick for Lafreniere.

But I don't want to risk giving up a top 5 pick for Lafreniere.

If Hoffman fails to make the team out of training camp, sure, send him down. As it stands, he was our 4th leading scorer last year so I think its unlikely. If Hoffman is not NHL calibre, then neither is 2/3 of our forward group. Armia is a different story.
With Hoffman it's not only about the points. He's averaged just over 40 points per season. But his defensive mistakes and turnovers outweigh his mediocre offensive contributions.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax

The Habs might choose to try and get under the cap and then put Price on LTIR later since it would allow them to accrue cap space over the season for more deadline flexibility, but that would just be a choice, not a requirement. Price's LTIR status doesn't inherently preclude the team from eating a contract or spending the remainder of his LTIR pool.

Price is eligible for offseason LTIR and will start the season on LTIR, it's identical to last summer with the Monahan situation where they spent Price's LTIR during the offseason. If the rules worked the way you are describing we would have been unable to take Monahan either.

Reactions: Archijerej

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There's risk if you give up the 13th pick for Lafreniere.

But I don't want to risk giving up a top 5 pick for Lafreniere.

Reinbacher vs Benson? 5th vs 13th in the last draft.

Yup, there are risks so it comes down to faith in Lafreneire looking like Dach did last season.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I think they would but looking at the expiring guys who will be UFA after next season, I'm not sure that circumstance is there. Who's in cap trouble that has a Marleau or Monahan? Do you or anybody else have any names I can't think about?

The Monahan/1st and Marleau/1st just does not happen that often.
I'm not aware of any such opportunities and I think you are right that they're not available that often.

It won't save the management from accusations of passivity though ;).

Halakitlikethat

Oct 10, 2013
British Columbia
Still a logjam at forward that they haven’t done anything to fix. I’m wondering if they misjudged the market on a guy like Hoffman , they should have just bought him out. They really aren’t in a position to add any more players until they offload some more of Bergevins junk contracts which should have been number one priority this off-season.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
With Hoffman it's not only about the points. He's averaged just over 40 points per season. But his defensive mistakes and turnovers outweigh his mediocre offensive contributions.
I'm well aware of Hoffman's shortcomings, which is why I was hoping to see him bought out earlier this summer given that its unlikely they will waive him.

Reactions: 26Mats

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal

Exactly. I would not expect HuGo to change course in their team building strategy.

In the end, the team's rebuilding is tied to Price contract. The day we get rid of it (because as its approach its end, lets face it, trading Price's contract as we did with Weber may become an option) is the day we'll truly be able to finish the rebuild.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Horrified. Those picks aren't protected if they are sent in an offersheet scenario.

I'd rather we try to wheel and deal with the Rangers if we are targeting Laf.

I know I don't have the time to do it properly but I do wonder how many top 10 picks are better than Lafreniere in the ELC years over the last 3-5 drafts? Of course you can find hits but listing hits does not quantify it.

I also believe in Lafreniere as much as I believed in Dach before last season and I do like the idea of adding in-between Suzuki and Reinbacher (6 year age gap).

To me, it comes down to do you believe in Lafreniere as much as we believe in Dach? If not, it is a horrible idea.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
This is probably the correct way to operate in Montreal market, but it begs the question why didn't they use an elegant solution of buying out Hoffman. Unless they are able to move him out before the start of the season, they allow a player who shouldn't have been signed in the first place to essentially block a roster spot for another year.
Buying out Hoffman really isn't an option as he is off of the books after this season and to spread his cap hit into further season when we will need the cap space to go after free agents or to trade for high priced player just doesn't make sense. If Hughes can move him for no return while eating half of his salary I am sure he will do that but such an opportunity may require a preseason or in season injury to take place in order to nudge a team in Hughe's direction.

If we can't move him then we are better off just keeping him on the roster as injuries are bound to happen and if not maybe we can rotate him in and out of the lineup until an injury opens a spot for him.

I can see Evans being moved for a late pick to clear a roster spot as well which moves everyone clawing for a spot up a rung.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
So Toronto can bury Simmonds, but we can't bury Armia or Hoffman?

James Neal, Andrew Ladd, the list of vets that have been buried is long and must touch every organization.

Of course we can but Hughes doesn't want to do that because Montreal is a very difficult sell to UFA's and he is investing in developing Montreal into a more appealing destination. Playing hardball with players that are putting in an honest effort just doesn't make sense for Hughes at this point in his path to bring his vision for the organization to fruition.

I think these boards are too removed from reality at times to fully consider the full scope of ramifications and benefits to some of these moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad