Salary Cap: What will Hughes do with our 8.8M in cap space heading into the season?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Nothing, hes in limp dick mode rn
Seeing Hutson, Newhook, Barron, Beck, and Heineman, I want some more 1st and 2nd round picks.

I would like to use our cap space to take on bad contracts that come with picks attached to them or sign players to one year deals who can be dealt at the TDL.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Seeing Hutson, Newhook, Barron, Beck, and Heineman, I want some more 1st and 2nd round picks.

I would like to use our cap space to take on bad contracts that come with picks attached to them or sign players to one year deals who can be dealt at the TDL.
The rebuilding is over. Suzuki is a 2017 draft pick, CC, Dach and Newhook 2019. You cant have your core players be waiting on 2024++.

By the time these players become relevant, Suzuki will be 30+.

Hugo need to decide if they think the talent they acquired from 17 to 20 is enough compete for a cup. If it is, they need to go for it. Otherwise, they need to move on from the high value asset that wont serve the rebuild. AKA Suzuki up to Guhle.

Reactions: Gustave and ReHabs

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The rebuilding is over. Suzuki is a 2017 draft pick, CC, Dach and Newhook 2019. You cant have your core players be waiting on 2024++.

By the time these players become relevant, Suzuki will be 30+.

Hugo need to decide if they think the talent they acquired from 17 to 20 is enough compete for a cup. If it is, they need to go for it. Otherwise, they need to move on from the high value asset that wont serve the rebuild. AKA Suzuki up to Guhle.
Well if we get more 1st round picks we can trade them for players like Dach and Newhook, who are in the age range of our future core.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
With guy like Ghule, Xhekaj, Harris, Barron and Slaf all needing to be resign in the next 2 seasons I don’t see us really doing much with that cap space unless it is using it for short term signing player to be moved at the TDL and retaining in a trade or cap dump à la Monahan.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
I expect an upgrade on D and a goalie. Hughes said no more tanking, so...
No tanking is the function of having a healthier roster, not willing to put a ceiling on young players' development and not having obvious vets to move out. I don't think they should aggressively try to improve the roster in just their second offseason, unless an obvious core player becomes available.

I think they should come out of the rebuild gradually during the next two seasons. A top 10 draft pick in 2024 could be an important trade asset in this process.

Reactions: tinyzombies

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
No tanking is the function of having a healthier roster, not willing to put a ceiling on young players' development and not having obvious vets to move out. I don't think they should aggressively try to improve the roster in just their second offseason, unless an obvious core player becomes available.

I think they should come out of the rebuild gradually during the next two seasons. A top 10 draft pick in 2024 could be an important trade asset in this process.
He’s not gonna rush and go get anyone. My guess is he didn’t want to meet PLD’s $ demands.

Reactions: dralaf

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So Toronto can bury Simmonds, but we can't bury Armia or Hoffman?

James Neal, Andrew Ladd, the list of vets that have been buried is long and must touch every organization.
Habs don’t need to buy anyone out. Not competing and plenty of cap space.

Reactions: dralaf

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He’s not gonna rush and go get anyone. My guess is he didn’t want to meet PLD’s $ demands.
Salary might have been a factor in terms of enforcing our internal cap structure, but I don't think they could have expected to sign a player of PLD's standing, and so close to UFA status, for much less.

My understanding is that Dubois was an attractive option as long as he had been a buy low opportunity (sort of like when Gorton acquired Trouba), but they had no intention of getting into a bidding match for someone who wouldn't even be our obvious best forward. I advocated trading for him as long as we had an inside track. Turned out that we didn't.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Hughes is trying to establish/maintain good working relations with players and agents around the league. Burying vets in the minors is the best way to undermine this effort. He is trying to make this organization's image as positive as possible in order to maximize his odds when we are competing in free agency for top players.
This is probably the correct way to operate in Montreal market, but it begs the question why didn't they use an elegant solution of buying out Hoffman. Unless they are able to move him out before the start of the season, they allow a player who shouldn't have been signed in the first place to essentially block a roster spot for another year.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't know for certain, but I thought the team needed a compliant 23-man roster for purposes of the initial 83.5M cap compliant roster, I am not sure if you can get under 83.5M by simply sending Pezz or whomever to AHL and running with 22.

And as discussed in the Newhook thread, you can make up the difference by paper demoting guys making > 1.15M (which is the cap savings you get) and adding a guy making less than the waiver threshold.

Ex. send Armia to AHL, sign Ylonen @ 1M (save 150 k)
Send Harris to AHL and add Wideman at 762.5k (save 387.5 k)

That gets you under 83.5M including Price, and leaves a roster with 23 names on it, albeit two (Price, Dvorak) who are injured. Then immediately move Price to LTIR and recall everybody you actually want on the opening night roster.

Not sure but I don't believe you have to have to have 23 man roster. Can be 20 if you want and I think the Leafs did that several times.

Anybody know for sure? Regardless, we have other options we can tinker with like you mentioned.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
By placing Hoff on waivers and sending him down, you will be penalized some 2 mil, so realistically under the cap. Pezz will be your 13th forward and Wideman, the 8th D. Ylonen is still unsigned. I don't think they will risk losing him on waivers, unless they trade his rights fairly soon.

Not sure I understand your penalized $2M point? Sending any NHL contract to the AHL for this next season saves you $1.125M.

Hoffman cap hit is $4.5M. $4.5M - $1.125M = $3.375M remaining cap hit. Where are you getting your $2M from?

Reactions: viceroy

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I'll echo comments on pg 1 of a Monahan 2.0. If a move exists where we can take an expiring contract and get a high value pick for it, that's the move. Otherwise, wait until the deadline and sell that cap space for picks as part of three way deals with retention.

Hoffman, Armia, and Dvorak are all in the way of making a worthwhile addition to the roster. Let those deals either expire or be moved first. If Hoffman has another year like last, he'll get nothing more than Dadonov did - if anything - at the deadline.

We've got 2 more seasons before we can actively consider who's out there and what their addition would mean.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
At this stage I’d like to see him use it as currency a bit and pick up a short term cap dump with no term to help a contending team free up space and add assets similar to what he did with with Monahan.

If no deals like that present themselves then I’d say keep it and let’s not get locked into a contract that looks awful in 2-3 seasons just because we have space today.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is probably the correct way to operate in Montreal market, but it begs the question why didn't they use an elegant solution of buying out Hoffman. Unless they are able to move him out before the start of the season, they allow a player who shouldn't have been signed in the first place to essentially block a roster spot for another year.

Who is Hoffman blocking a roster spot from? Gurinaov? This season, I don't think he gets top 6 and he is on the 4th line. I guess he might block Pezzetta.

I don't think we wanted to buy him out and take on a cap hit for next year. We also have a potential of $4M+ of ELC performance bonuses.

I'm wondering if we are going to try to make a splash in UFA next off season. We could be considering guys like Aho or Wilson if they reach UFA. I think we prefer to keep our cap space open as much as possible... especially if Aho reaches UFA.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Kane is hurt. Who is left in FA who is good enough to fetch a 1st or 2nd round pick at the deadline? Tarasenko? Anyone else?

Ylonen will have to show enough in camp to get a roster spot. It can't be gifted to him.

I think Jesse will get a one- or two-year deal at league minimum but possibly one way. What is the point of having him in Laval yet again? It makes more sense to give the AHL development opportunities to Mesar, Roy, Heineman or Farrell - even Kidney.

Ylonen can be the 13th or 14th F and I won't cry over his reduced ice time.

It is up to him now to make the next step to being a starting 12F. He didn't even do that last year, when RHP qnd Belzile jumped on their chances to impress.

If we really don't think hje will ever be a contributing member of the re-built team, we can also move him for a younger B prospect, or free up a contract spot and trade him for slightly less than his draft rank.

Decision day on this guy is coming fast IMO.

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Ylonen will have to show enough in camp to get a roster spot. It can't be gifted to him.

That goes without saying, but I'd say he's done enough the last three years to earn himself a fair shot. If he's inadequate, that's where your Pezzettas, Pitlicks, Mitchells, Anderssons, and whomever you can sign at league minimum, come in. You don't need Hoffman for that.

Fair. I personally don't have high hopes on Ylonen. Bottom 6F type talent IMO. Do you think Ylonen gets claimed on waivers? I think there is a 50/50 chance.

I don't particularly like Ylonen, but we've invested a fair bit of time and resources into this prospect. I thinks he's going to be claimed from waivers. A possible middle 6 right-handed forward at close to league minimum that hasn't visibly failed at any job he has been asked to do since he was drafted? Someone will give him a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad