Salary Cap: What will Hughes do with our 8.8M in cap space heading into the season?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not sure why you advocating them being called up much sooner means they should have been called up much sooner. We know that they were good when called up, but there's zero reason we should infer that that means they should have been called up sooner.

I also don't really get why it matters that Hoffman and Armia would be playing ahead of guys like Pezzetta. Beyond injuries or the fact that we have gone through a decade of just sticking players in positions hoping they'd grow into it (despite it almost never working), NHL rosters generally turn over A LOT season to season. It is not a negative if guys are given time to work on the game. If young guys actually demonstrate they deserve the ice time, MSL has consistently shown he'll give them more ice time.

Seems like a non-issue.
My main issue is with RHP, Ylonen, and Slaf. We'll see what happens to their ice time if Hoffman and Armia are in the top 14 in Montreal this season...

I wasn't a fan of watching Dadonov, Drouin, and Hoffman play over the young guys last year.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
My main issue is with RHP, Ylonen, and Slaf. We'll see what happens to their ice time if Hoffman and Armia are in the top 14 in Montreal this season...

I wasn't a fan of watching Dadonov, Drouin, and Hoffman play over the young guys last year.

They didn't want to put the team on the back of the rookies last year. It's the vets job to carry this burden, our vets sucks at it but this is what it is.

Reactions: Naslundforever

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

2023 5v5 TOI/GP:

RHP - 13:19
Ylonen - 12:01
Slafkovsky - 10:47

Dadonov - 12:20
Drouin - 12:04
Hoffman - 12:27

Again, I'm not really sure I get why this is an issue, let alone an issue worth complaining about. Slaf is the only guy who didn't really get meaningful icetime, but he also wasn't really ready for the NHL yet anyways and it showed. RHP was and quickly made it to the top line and Ylonen got plenty of icetime too.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
2023 5v5 TOI/GP:

RHP - 13:19
Ylonen - 12:01
Slafkovsky - 10:47

Dadonov - 12:20
Drouin - 12:04
Hoffman - 12:27

Again, I'm not really sure I get why this is an issue, let alone an issue worth complaining about. Slaf is the only guy who didn't really get meaningful icetime, but he also wasn't really ready for the NHL yet anyways and it showed. RHP was and quickly made it to the top line and Ylonen got plenty of icetime too.
Often time when Dadonov, Drouin and Hoffman were in the lineup, RHP and Ylonen were not.

We have 16 forwards. We'll see what happens with the ice time this year. If you don't understand that, you don't understand that.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Often time when Dadonov, Drouin and Hoffman were in the lineup, RHP and Ylonen were not.

We have 16 forwards. We'll see what happens with the ice time this year. If you don't understand that, you don't understand that.

And when they were, there wasn't really deference to veterans, it was who was playing better.

It still has to be meritocracy, but there's not reason to think veterans will have priority due to seniority when that hasn't been the case during MSLs tenure.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And when they were, there wasn't really deference to veterans, it was who was playing better.

It still has to be meritocracy, but there's not reason to think veterans will have priority due to seniority when that hasn't been the case during MSLs tenure.

My main issue is with bringing back Hoffman and Armia at the expense of playing time of RHP and Ylonen.

They are 24. They need to play to develop and learn the NHL game. I don't care if Hoffman or Armia look better during any stretch. They aren't part of the future and we aren't winning this year. It's better to give RHP and Ylonen reps than to play Hoffman and Armia. We didn't trade Edmundson because Harris and Kovacevic, or even Xhekaj are necessarily better than him now. We traded Eddy to get the young guys reps. RHP and Ylonen need those reps as well.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No need to rush to spend it. There will be teams during the season who want to make changes and The Habs can take advantage of that.

what do posters think about luring Matt Dumba on a high cap hit 1 year deal and the trading him to a contender at the TDL?

He's an RD. We could make room for him, when we're actually healthy, by giving Barron more development time in the minors.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
With Price on LTIR, according to capfriendly we have 6.99M in cap space.

But, we have 15 forwards, 8D and 2 goalies under contract. Say Wideman (.760k) and Pitlick (1.1M) get send down. That leaves about 8.85M in cap space. What will Hughes do with all that cap space?
Dvorak starts year on LTIR also they say

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
what do posters think about luring Matt Dumba on a high cap hit 1 year deal and the trading him to a contender at the TDL?

He's an RD. We could make room for him, when we're actually healthy, by giving Barron more development time in the minors.
No thanks. Barron is ready for the NHL and we don't need to waste additional cap space on a hope that Dumba turns it around. That cap space will be become a major player at the deadline and we need to take advantage of it.

Reactions: the

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
No thanks. Barron is ready for the NHL and we don't need to waste additional cap space on a hope that Dumba turns it around. That cap space will be become a major player at the deadline and we need to take advantage of it.
How will the cap space become a major player at the TDL? How do you define major?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
How will the cap space become a major player at the TDL? How do you define major?
May be able to help create room for other teams, facilitate trades....the usual as we've seen over the past few years.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
May be able to help create room for other teams, facilitate trades....the usual as we've seen over the past few years.
We got a 5th round pick for facilitating the Bonino deal. You call that major?

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
We got a 5th round pick for facilitating the Bonino deal. You call that major?
Sorry, I was thinking of the wrong guy. Last year

So you think it would be better to use all our space hoping a defenseman pans out, doesn't get hurt and we get pick for him? That doesn't sound like very smart business. just about as bad as offer sheeting Laffy and paying him $6M+. Just bad business models

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Sorry, I was thinking of the wrong guy. Last year
I just don't remember a team using cap space to land a major asset at the TDL.

I've seen it in the offseason, like we did with Monahan. But there doesn't appear to be such a deal available this offseason. If there were, for sure I'd prefer that to signing a vet and hoping to trade them for a 1st at the TDL.

No need to rush to spend it. There will be teams during the season who want to make changes and The Habs can take advantage of that.
I just can't think of a time a team landed a 1st during the season for taking on salary/bad contracts.

But it's happened plenty of times in the offseason, and plenty of times by being a seller of a vet to a contender.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Do you guys think there is any credence to an offer sheet to Laf?? Would Gorton like to stick it to the Rangers?
Rangers would match any dollar amount where we don't have to give up our 2024 1st. And I wouldn't want to give u our 2024 1st for Laffreniere.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Do you guys think there is any credence to an offer sheet to Laf?? Would Gorton like to stick it to the Rangers?

None.

We can't offersheet below a 1st round pick threshold.. and we aren't going to pay Lafreniere the money of a 1st + offer sheet, nor should we give up a 1st rounder compensation for him.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
I just don't remember a team using cap space to land a major asset at the TDL.

I've seen it in the offseason, like we did with Monahan. But there doesn't appear to be such a deal available this offseason. If there were, for sure I'd prefer that to signing a vet and hoping to trade them for a 1st at the TDL.

I just can't think of a time a team landed a 1st during the season for taking on salary/bad contracts.

But it's happened plenty of times in the offseason, and plenty of times by being a seller of a vet to a contender.
Why does it have to be a 1st? It can be a decent pick or prospect added to take a bad contract player during the season or by being the 2nd team to retain, Or they can save the cap space for next summers UFA day which should be much better than this year. By then they will also know whether the team took a few steps forwards.....

lots of options

Ranger12

Jul 29, 2021
Just wait 12 months, odds are 50/50 that he will be next Newhook or Dach as far as the Rangers are concerned. Either him or Kakko.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Why does it have to be a 1st? It can be a decent pick or prospect added to take a bad contract player during the season or by being the 2nd team to retain, Or they can save the cap space for next summers UFA day which should be much better than this year. By then they will also know whether the team took a few steps forwards.....

lots of options
1) I've never seen a team trade a bad contract for a 2nd or a decent prospect in the middle of the season.
2) If we sign a player to a 1 year deal this year that won't have any impact on our cap space for next summer's UFA day.
3) I've never seen a team get a decent prospect or pick to be the 2nd team to retain in a deal. I've only seen 4ths and 5ths be the compensation.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
What if we retained half of Tarasenko's 1 year contract for another team who wants him. For example Team X wants to sign him for 7Mx1 so we sign him, retain 3.5M and flip him for an asset. Would it be worth it for a 2nd? Would a team pay that much?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad