Salary Cap: What will Hughes do with our 8.8M in cap space heading into the season?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
With Price on LTIR, according to capfriendly we have 6.99M in cap space.

But, we have 15 forwards, 8D and 2 goalies under contract. Say Wideman (.760k) and Pitlick (1.1M) get send down. That leaves about 8.85M in cap space. What will Hughes do with all that cap space?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If there are no more moves, Hoffman and Pezzetta are on waivers to go along with Wideman and Ylonen as well. Then we get under the cap with Price on a 22 man roster. Price is then moved to LTIR after the season starts and we get back our $8.8M in cap space.... which grows as the season moves along. Price on LTIR before the season also craetes $8.8M in cap but that will get reduced when guys go on IR and you got to call up players who chew into that cap space gradually. We could end up with $5M prorated by the TDL. Or less.

This should be our strategy. Unless another Monahan/1st comes along

Depends who is available. not a fan of spending money just because you have it.

Agreed. If we spend it, it won't be on a long term commitment. Got to keep it open for younger guys exciting their ELC and/or another potential Dubois situation.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
If there are no more moves, Hoffman and Pezzetta are on waivers to go along with Wideman and Ylonen as well. Then we get under the cap with Price on a 22 man roster. Price is then moved to LTIR after the season starts and we get back our $8.8M in cap space.... which grows as the season moves along.

This should be our strategy. Unless another Monahan/1st comes along

Agreed. If we spend it, it won't be on a long term commitment. Got to keep it open for younger guys exciting their ELC and/or another potential Dubois situation.
By placing Hoff on waivers and sending him down, you will be penalized some 2 mil, so realistically under the cap. Pezz will be your 13th forward and Wideman, the 8th D. Ylonen is still unsigned. I don't think they will risk losing him on waivers, unless they trade his rights fairly soon.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What will Hughes do? Well ...

Qm8FSpW.png

expy

Nov 2, 2010
Use it only of there is a need to and if the investment is reasonable.

Don't want to get stuck with shit contracts just because we had money to spend.

Reactions: HabsQC and barbu

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
By placing Hoff on waivers and sending him down, you are already under the cap.

Not according to what I see. We would still be short by around $500k. Pretty sure we would need to go with a 22 man roster with Price included. Pezzetta going to Laval would do it.

Dvorak is the wild card. Is he on IR or LTIR to start the season?

CSTT18q.jpg

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Too many bad players on bad contracts.

I'd say try to use Ylonen as a sweetener, but he's not really worth much.

Retain 50% on Hoffman and hope for a 6th. I'm sure Arizona wouldn't be oppose if they're actually trying to be competitive

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
My guess would be retain half on Hoffman to move him and eat a contract from someone, going into the year with approx 1.5-2M in space.

What's more value to you?

1) Retain on Hoffman and also eat a contract so we have $1-$2M in cap space and we can play one of Heineman/Farrell on the 4th line

or

2) Just keep Hoffman for one more year like we did with Drouin and Heineman/Farrell play top 6 minutes in Laval. Ready for a call up if there is an injury.

I think there is too much of a media/fan storm trying to "get rid" of Hoffman when he is not a problem in the room.

Hughes said he didn't want to start the season with Price on LTIR so they can accrue cap space this season. Players will be traded/waived to get under the real ceiling instead.

Good stuff. First I hear of this and it makes total sense. Not being able to accrue cap space is not ideal. If you can manage to not have that challenge, we should. It allows us flexibility and to take advantage of a cap hell contender if that situation presents itself.

Pretty sure they wanted to have Price on LTIR after the season last year but the Monahan/1st situation came up.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
My preference would be to either take on a 1 year cap dump for a 1st or equivalent level prospect or sign someone like Kane/Tarasenko possibly Kessel/Tatar to a 1 year deal and then immediatly trade them to a contender while retaining 50% for a 1st or equivalent level prospect.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
I think they are going to stay under the Cap without putting Price on LTIR until after the season. There is different ways of doing this.

They’ll want to get as close to the cap as possible before putting Price on LTIR to maximize their LTIR pool.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarkovsKnee

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
My preference would be to either take on a 1 year cap dump for a 1st or equivalent level prospect or sign someone like Kane/Tarasenko possibly Kessel/Tatar to a 1 year deal and then immediatly trade them to a contender while retaining 50% for a 1st or equivalent level prospect.
Tatar has proven that he can't get it done in the playoffs so he is not an attractive target at the TDL. That said if a roster spot opens, I would take him to be a friend for Slaf and Mesar if he is agreeable to signing once Price gets moved to LTIR after he season starts.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think HuGo will spend it if it means getting a player who can be flipped for magic beans in the near future. If the options isn't there, they will keep the cash.

Think back to last year when the habs went in on klingberg. It's the same thought process.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
Nothing. He understands that that money is basically RFA money, even with cap coming off the books after this year, you want some cap flexibility especially for 2024 FA

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I hope this happens.

Gotta find a team that wants to dump a contract. Washington is up against the cap, they don't want to dump Mantha and sign Tarasenko?

I also like the idea of outbidding everyone for a 1 year deal on a UFA that can be flipped at the deadline. Tarasenko 1 year 7.5M. But will Hughes put Armia and Hoffman in Laval to make room for such a player. We already have16 forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad