Salary Cap: What will Hughes do with our 8.8M in cap space heading into the season?

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
1) I've never seen a team trade a bad contract for a 2nd or a decent prospect in the middle of the season.
2) If we sign a player to a 1 year deal this year that won't have any impact on our cap space for next summer's UFA day.
3) I've never seen a team get a decent prospect or pick to be the 2nd team to retain in a deal. I've only seen 4ths and 5ths be the compensation.
1 Who cares
2. It might change their draft ranking though.
3. again who cares.

There is no rush to make this team better, especially when you look at the remaining UFAs. The most recent years guys on this board (probably including you) were complaining about the lack of cap space and now you want to burn it for no apparent reason.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
1 Who cares
2. It might change their draft ranking though.
3. again who cares.

There is no rush to make this team better, especially when you look at the remaining UFAs. The most recent years guys on this board (probably including you) were complaining about the lack of cap space and now you want to burn it for no apparent reason.

not sure what you think you're talking about about most recent years guys...

Ok, I understand if you want to tank. That is a valid consideration...

singing players to one year deals doesn't affect our cap space moving forward, which is the only cap concern when you have cap space that you're not going to use in the current season.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
not sure what you think you're talking about about most recent years guys...

Ok, I understand if you want to tank. That is a valid consideration...

singing players to one year deals doesn't affect our cap space moving forward, which is the only cap concern when you have cap space that you're not going to use in the current season.
Lots of guys on The Habs section of this site have complained for years about the lack of cap flexibility. Now they have it.

I do not want to tank. I just dont want them to hand out contracts for no reason.

Better for the young guys to play more anyways rather than sign older vets to 1 year deals.

I dont see any upside to signing anyone to a 1 year deal.....

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Lots of guys on The Habs section of this site have complained for years about the lack of cap flexibility. Now they have it.

I do not want to tank. I just dont want them to hand out contracts for no reason.

Better for the young guys to play more anyways rather than sign older vets to 1 year deals.

The upside is getting a draft pick or a prospect to add to our future core at the TDL for trading the player to a contender.

So far, we have gotten the following players from trading vets at the TDL:
- Hutson (via Kulak),
- Newhook (from Chiarot trade),
- Owen Beck or Mesar (from Toffoli trade),
- Heineman (from Toffoli trade),
- Barron (from Lehkonen trade),
- plus the Colorado 2nd is pending from the Lehkonen trade.

I want more!

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
The upside is getting a draft pick or a prospect to add to our future core at the TDL for trading the player to a contender.

- Hutson (via Kulak),

I want more!
And the downside is lack of development time in the NHL for the prospects we already have. Like if we go out and grab Dumba then Barron likely gets sent down. So sure we might get a pick/prospect at the TDL, but what's the point of getting a Barron from the Lehkonen trade if you don't give him a legitimate shot in the NHL after he's shown he's ready?

If picks/prospects are magic beans that could grow into anything, then as important as planting lots of beans so you have a better chance at something special is watering the ones you've already planted so that they can actually grow into something.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
And the downside is lack of development time in the NHL for the prospects we already have. Like if we go out and grab Dumba then Barron likely gets sent down. So sure we might get a pick/prospect at the TDL, but what's the point of getting a Barron from the Lehkonen trade if you don't give him a legitimate shot in the NHL after he's shown he's ready?

If picks/prospects are magic beans that could grow into anything, then as important as planting lots of beans so you have a better chance at something special is watering the ones you've already planted so that they can actually grow into something.

It's the old expression: a player never spent too long in the American Hockey League.

Barron would be fine. It might even benefit him. And I'm a Barron fan who's looking forward to seeing what he can become, especially at age 25.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
It's the old expression: a player never spent too long in the American Hockey League.

Barron would be fine. It might even benefit him. And I'm a Barron fan who's looking forward to seeing what he can become, especially at age 25.
Barron went down last year, and did benefit.
Don't think they do that again to him.............he was a good soldier.
I really think he has earned his spot....
Moves the puck well, and can skate................has to work on his D.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Being an old expression doesn't make it true though.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Barron went down last year, and did benefit.
Don't think they do that again to him.............he was a good soldier.
I really think he has earned his spot....
Moves the puck well, and can skate................has to work on his D.
We could always keep 8D up if need be.

Reactions: BLONG7

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Keep thinking Chi could use Hoffman as secondary scoring option. Gives help to Bedard on the PP. does Chi need a 4th line pker as well? Armia perhaps. Allen would be a good goalie for them as well. Damn I wish they’d take all of our junk.

There's always another solution!

DTmi-TY3-Vw-AEULun.jpg

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There is no rush to make this team better, especially when you look at the remaining UFAs.
The only moves that might make sense are moves with short-term commitment, but with the possibility of renewing again for next year.

Sort of like the new Monahan deal for $2M.

Are any of the remaining UFAs out there, age 30 or under, willing to sign a one-year deal with the possibility of extending - because they really like the chemistry of the group we have, the way Monahan does?

Tarasenko does not strike me as that type of player.

Dumba probably not either, but I would kick the tires with both agents. They could also be TDL rental assets for us if either of them or a similar player were on an expiring deal.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
no need to rush to spend that money if we can get another Monahan deal then great if not we can sit on it during the season some team may randomly need cap for a trade or specially at deadline

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand

Would you use that same old expression if Lefebvre was still the HC of the Rocket?

Getting Dumba on a 1-year deal to flip him at the deadline would be a great idea IMO, but Barron has earned his spot.

Reactions: 26Mats and Andrei79

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Would you use that same old expression if Lefebvre was still the HC of the Rocket?

Getting Dumba on a 1-year deal to flip him at the deadline would be a great idea IMO, but Barron has earned his spot.

If Barron, Mailloux, Hutson, and Reinbacher all have good years then Hughes could get a king's ransom for one of the first two.

Reactions: Andrei79

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal

in fact, they were complaining because Bergevin at one point, had money to spend but didn't use it .Some also were bashing Molson to be a cheap owner that didn't want to spend all the money.
Then Bergevin spent the money and suddenly fans were complaining that we didn't have cap space because of him.

Now, if Hughes doesn't spend the money, he will be a moron and if he spends it, he is going to be moron, because there won't be cap space anymore.

No need to conclude

Reactions: Surfer72

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

And who knows how good Dumba is. He might be on a decline and not get much at the TDL.

But man, I really like what Hughes has done with converting vets at the TDL. Barron himself was acquired in such a deal. So at most, i.e. if there are 0 injuries, 2/3 of one more season of Barron in the AHL or rotating from the press box could get us a full career of another Barron - if we could trade Dumba for a Barron level prospect.

Reactions: malcb33

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And who knows how good Dumba is. He might be on a decline and not get much at the TDL.

But man, I really like what Hughes has done with converting vets at the TDL. Barron himself was acquired in such a deal. So at most, i.e. if there are 0 injuries, 2/3 of one more season of Barron in the AHL or rotating from the press box could get us a full career of another Barron - if we could trade Dumba for a Barron level prospect.
The vets we ice have to be hungry, happy to be here, and great role models for the youngsters.

I would only sign Dumba on a one-year deal where he would be very happy to extend like Monahan did.

Not interested in another Dadonov who just marked time until he could get to a contender.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

- Hutson (via Kulak),

I want more!
I see the point but getting a vet or two means less playing time for young guys so still a not a good idea. Id rather the young guys start to get more NHL ice time

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
in fact, they were complaining because Bergevin at one point, had money to spend but didn't use it .Some also were bashing Molson to be a cheap owner that didn't want to spend all the money.
Then Bergevin spent the money and suddenly fans were complaining that we didn't have cap space because of him.

Now, if Hughes doesn't spend the money, he will be a moron and if he spends it, he is going to be moron, because there won't be cap space anymore.

No need to conclude
Right,

No matter what they do people on here will complain as if they know best (including me)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1909

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad