Salary Cap: What will Hughes do with our 8.8M in cap space heading into the season?

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
So what's the plan for the Habs and their $5,227,916 over the cap? Is it even possible to be cap compliant without putting Price on LTIR before the season?

Quickly looking at capfriendly I see that buried relief is a maximum of 1.15M or less. Depending on the plan for game 1, I would think it would be easy enough to send down 5 players for opening night as currently the Habs have 6 players of the 26 man roster that are waiver exempt. Also they can send down a guy like Armia as getting claimed would be quite a nice and welcomed surprised.

I feel like this was discussed in this thread of another one. Am I sharing the same as others that are thinking about how to keep cap space for the season in case the Habs surprise and are actually a playoff team? or simply just another graveyard for crappy contracts while taking draft picks.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
So what's the plan for the Habs and their $5,227,916 over the cap? Is it even possible to be cap compliant without putting Price on LTIR before the season?

Quickly looking at capfriendly I see that buried relief is a maximum of 1.15M or less. Depending on the plan for game 1, I would think it would be easy enough to send down 5 players for opening night as currently the Habs have 6 players of the 26 man roster that are waiver exempt. Also they can send down a guy like Armia as getting claimed would be quite a nice and welcomed surprised.

I feel like this was discussed in this thread of another one. Am I sharing the same as others that are thinking about how to keep cap space for the season in case the Habs surprise and are actually a playoff team? or simply just another graveyard for crappy contracts while taking draft picks.
I can see price being traded to a cap floor team before the season starts ala weber

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I can see price being traded to a cap floor team before the season starts ala weber
That’ll be difficult, despite $2M salary for the remaining 3-years of the contract, Price is still owned $15M in signing bonus next two July’s ($7.5M per)

Weber had low salary with no bonus, just high AAV which was the right formula for a cap floor team.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

The Habs won’t have any issues getting under the Cap before the season starts and then putting Price on in season LTIR.

Reactions: MadMslm and Deebs

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Because cap floor teams aren't a thing anymore
Arizona is still a cap floor team. They have 21 millions in LTIR contract so technically in real contract they are under the cap floor. Chicago is also a cap floor team. They spent a stupid amount of money on washed out vets to reach the cap floor lasts summer. They are just 9 millions over the cap floor with almost 8 millions in retained salaries. They acquired Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno bad contracts last summer for young players and acquired Bailey for a pick and then bought it out. They were a prime destination last summer for teams to unload their bad contract. Without the acquisition of those bad contracts last summer Chicago would be under the floor.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Its actually gotten pretty easy. Bring the roster down to 23 (including Price) and put Dvorak on off-season LTIR.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Arizona is still a cap floor team. They have 21 millions in LTIR contract so technically in real contract they are under the cap floor. Chicago is also a cap floor team. They spent a stupid amount of money on washed out vets to reach the cap floor lasts summer. They are just 9 millions over the cap floor with almost 8 millions in retained salaries. They acquired Taylor Hall and Nick Foligno bad contracts last summer for young players and acquired Bailey for a pick and then bought it out. They were a prime destination last summer for teams to unload their bad contract. Without the acquisition of those bad contracts last summer Chicago would be under the floor.
Chicago has Bedard and is done tanking, Arizona is on the upswing as well and is starting to look to compete. OT but I actually really like their forward core, obviously the D needs help but I think Arizona will surprise sooner than later. Neither team will need to acquire useless contracts going forward though.

Ottawa no longer has an internal cap.

Maybe Nashville if they decide to do a full tear down and move Josi and Forsberg?

Philly has too many bad contracts to ever need to take a cap dump to reach the floor.

I'm sure Molson would love to cheapen the roster though, considering he has spent the most real $ in salary on the worst team in the NHL the past 2 years

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Mantha + 1st for Ylonen
Myers + 1st for Lindstrom

Or something else like that where we get a 1st (with conditions as needed) to take a high cap UFA to be that isn't wanted in exchange for a cheap depth piece...

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hopefully buy some draft picks or young prospects.

Montreal is a cap floor team :)

But basically, 3 teams in a 32 team league is statistical noise.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Hopefully buy some draft picks or young prospects.
Montreal is a cap floor team :)
But basically, 3 teams in a 32 team league is statistical noise.
Statistical noise is something that you can't replicate. There will always be 1 or 2 teams rebuilding with lot of ELC who need to spend on overpaid vets to reach the floor and fill the lineup.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Statistical noise is something that you can't replicate. There will always be 1 or 2 teams rebuilding with lot of ELC who need to spend on overpaid vets to reach the floor and fill the lineup.

Basically, the owners won the last lockout, and as time goes on it will be easier and easier for them to spend to the cap.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'm sure Molson would love to cheapen the roster though, considering he has spent the most real $ in salary on the worst team in the NHL the past 2 years

Considering the 1400+ man games loss to injury the Habs had, I'm sure insurance covered a part of that payroll, still, what an indictment of the Bergevin regime those two years have been. A true house of cards, destined to topple.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad