What to do with Morrissey

Bridge or Long Term

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not really that concerned. His closest comps like Theodore and Nurse are still unsigned. My guess is they are all waiting for the shoe to drop and one to sign, then you will see the rest all sign soon after. Just like what happened with Scheifele signing his deal, Monahan and McKinnon signed similiar deals soon after.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think the GM (and Assistant GM) and agents are on holidays. There's no rush to finalize Morrissey's deal. I expect they'll sign it after holidays and before training camp.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
It looks to me like they have around 6.5 million in space after bonuses. So plenty of room but I guess every dollar saved will help for next off season especially.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
I''ve just finished reading an article in the Free Press by Paul Wiecek.
Cause for concern?.....
He seems to suggest that perhaps signing Morrissey won't be easy either.
He reminds us of Trouba's holdout 2 years ago.
I feel a bit angry right now. Yes, Trouba has a right to use his contract bargaining tools.
Still I feel loyalty by players to a team is very important. So is loyalty by management.
I have a lot of respect for players like Scheifele who committed to the Jets and the Winnipeg community. Trouba? Not so much.
And now to suggest Morrissey may be up to the same?.....@#$&!
Discuss......

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I have PW on ignore, and nothing he's written over the past few years, either in terms of its insider info or quality of analysis, has convinced me to start reading him again. So I'm not unduly worried -- and I think JMo and the Jets front office have a solid relationship and will work out a mutually beneficial deal.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Cause for concern?.....
I feel a bit angry right now. Yes, Trouba has a right to use his contract bargaining tools.
Still I feel loyalty by players to a team is very important. So is loyalty by management.
I have a lot of respect for players like Scheifele who committed to the Jets and the Winnipeg community. Trouba? Not so much.
Discuss......

I'm not sure why people still read his stuff. He takes about the most negative spin you can get on a topic and then spins it. No interest in wasting my time reading any of his articles.

The Big M

Dec 29, 2017
I have PW on ignore, and nothing he's written over the past few years has convinced me, in terms of its insider info or quality of analysis, has convinced me to start reading him again. So I'm not unduly worried -- and I think JMo and the Jets front office have a solid relationship and will wrk out a mutually beneficial deal.
I think you could be right. Well then that brings me to another thought. It's kind of irresponsible of journalists feeding negative propaganda just to receive higher readership!

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Players who don't or didn't have a contract on August 8th:

William Nylander, Dylan Larkin, Darnell Nurse, Noah Hanifin, Sam Reinhart, Shea Theodore, Leon Draisaitl, Bo Horvat, David Pastrnak, Hampus Lindholm, Rickard Rakell, Rasmus Ristolainen, Nikita Kucherov, Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan, ...

It's perfectly normal.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Cause for concern?.....
Discuss......

Maybe it's just him suggesting it, but the reality is that it is entirely probable. We all like to think players can show loyalty to the team they play for and maybe take less money to stay, but the fact is the player realize that they get one kick at the can to make the most they can, and they have an agent constantly whispering this in their ear ( remembering that the agent gets paid a percentage of the contract the player signs so they have a financially vested interest ).

Does this mean Morrissey is holding out for a kings ransom like Trouba? Maybe not, but if this was going to be a really easy contract it would have been done already. But, give it another month before getting worried.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Cause for concern?.....
Discuss......
Wiecek is an absolute hack with a chip on his shoulder. His piece in the WFP on Morrissey is disgraceful - basically a hit piece on Morrissey equating him with Trouba's antics in holding out. He also makes the ridiculous analogy to the cross-check on Staal, indicating that his surprising "bad guy" act on the ice translates over to his off-ice approach.

Disgusting, yellow journalism. Wiecek needs to be taken off the Jets' beat. He's too emotionally vested in his perceived slights by TNSE to render objective analysis or reasonable opinion.

As for the Morrissey situation, it's pretty simple. The Jets have a very tight cap situation, and they had a ton of RFAs with arbitration rights / hearings up to end July. They were forced to deal with them first. Now they are into August which is down time for hockey management. He'll get signed in late August or early September, and remind us all what a classy and dedicated NHLer he is. That will help to erase Wiecek's ugly caricature of him.

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
Disgusting, yellow journalism. Wiecek needs to be taken off the Jets' beat. He's too emotionally vested in his perceived slights by TNSE to render objective analysis or reasonable opinion.

I absolutely agree with this. Wiecek writes like he feels that he was slighted by pro sports. And he very well may have been in a real or perceived way by the Jets or some other pro sports organization. But it's really affected his objectivity and therefore his credibility. He may have found his calling with writing about curling.

I won't worry about Morrissey's upcoming season with the Jets unless Morrissey or his agent make a worrisome statement.

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I think you could be right. Well then that brings me to another thought. It's kind of irresponsible of journalists feeding negative propaganda just to receive higher readership!

Sports writers are not journalists - except The Athletic (hopefully it will be a new trend - they actually seem to care about facts and dig deeper). I've been pleasantly surprised by the quality of their articles.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
So the only reporter in the city that is not a homer is now a hack? It's an opinion piece

Whileee

May 29, 2010
So the only reporter in the city that is not a homer is now a hack? It's an opinion piece
Nobody's asking for a "homer", but this latest piece is the work of a hack. It's basically saying that because Morrissey crosschecked someone in a playoff game, his character in terms of how he'll negotiate his contract is in question. He presents no facts, and in fact misrepresents the context by indicating that the situation is analogous to Trouba's. As you might recall, Trouba and his agent at this point had openly requested a trade and were refusing to negotiate. Painting Morrissey and his situation with the same brush is ludicrous. Besides, if Wiecek had any knowledge he'd realize that it's not unusual for RFAs who don't have arbitration cases to be unsigned at this point. Teams have to deal with arbitration cases on a strict timeline, and have no such timeline for non-arbitration cases.

There are plenty of legitimate and interesting stories that could be pursued that aren't supportive of the Jets. Wiecek is either too lazy or too addled by his own biases to find and report on those stories.

None

Feb 22, 2012

I think you can draw the line for objectivity when the reporter's opinion tries to draw a parallel between Morrissey's behaviour on the ice and his contract negotiations. Everything he writes is chock-full of hyperbole, remember when he called Mark Chipman a used car salesman and had to apologize publicly for it?

The last thing I'd call Wiecek is objective when it comes to the Jets, and it's not because he has any issue with the players or the team itself. The guy has a petty grudge with True North and Mark Chipman.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia

Have you seen US media? Barf. That’s most of journalism nowadays across the board.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think you can draw the line for objectivity when the reporter's opinion tries to draw a parallel between Morrissey's behaviour on the ice and his contract negotiations. Everything he writes is chock-full of hyperbole, remember when he called Mark Chipman a used car salesman and had to apologize publicly for it?

The last thing I'd call Wiecek is objective when it comes to the Jets, and it's not because he has any issue with the players or the team itself. The guy has a petty grudge with True North and Mark Chipman.
Beyond everything else, he's lazy, like many other local journalists.

Edit: Let me be more specific, so I don't paint with too broad a brush; I think that many of the "personalities" on TSN 1290 are lazy, in that they don't do the basic homework to have an in-depth understanding of the Jets or the NHL. There are some outstanding writers with both main newspapers, and Murat Ates is a breath of fresh air. He does his homework, writes interesting articles, and shares his evidence-informed views about what the Jets should and shouldn't do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: