Bridge or Long Term

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think you could be right. Well then that brings me to another thought. It's kind of irresponsible of journalists feeding negative propaganda just to receive higher readership!

Just to be clear Wiececk is a complete hack. I have no idea how the guy has a job still.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

angrymnky

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
It's gossipy, with no facts at all to back it up. Some people enjoy reading random speculation (there's a ton of it on this site) and others don't. Do you just want to hear what moving Kane will get you in a trade after everything has blown up or do you want to hear the gossipy rumblings of discontent beforehand?
I enjoy reading all of it, it's just entertainment. I guess I don't feel as protective about the team/players as some people do, which is why stuff like Trouba hits them so hard and so personally.

Reactions: cbcwpg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
It's gossipy, with no facts at all to back it up. Some people enjoy reading random speculation (there's a ton of it on this site) and others don't. Do you just want to hear what moving Kane will get you in a trade after everything has blown up or do you want to hear the gossipy rumblings of discontent beforehand?
I enjoy reading all of it, it's just entertainment. I guess I don't feel as protective about the team/players as some people do, which is why stuff like Trouba hits them so hard and so personally.
I don't mind reading actual hockey gossip, but this doesn't even rise to the level of gossip. He's concocted a narrative purely in his own mind by linking unconnected topics. It's just mush.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't mind reading actual hockey gossip, but this doesn't even rise to the level of gossip. He's concocted a narrative purely in his own mind by linking unconnected topics. It's just mush.

Mush too mush!:thumbu:

It appears that many of hfboards regular posters find PW's work garbage.

Sadly there a greater percentage of the public whose main source for Jets news is the Free Press. The sports editor allowing this false narrative to be spread regarding Morrissey is appalling .

Reactions: None and YWGinYYZ

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I've got no issues with the Wiecek article. He's right on point. He's saying it August and no deal; He's also saying its not panic time. There's not a whole lot of speculation here.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I've got no issues with the Wiecek article. He's right on point. He's saying it August and no deal; He's also saying its not panic time. There's not a whole lot of speculation here.
So you think comparing his situation to Trouba's is reasonable? You think his crosscheck on Staal is somehow related to his character and how he'll negotiate with the Jets? The thrust of the article was to impugn Morrissey's character, not to give any real information about the contract negotiation process.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
While I'll agree that Wiecek was stretching to fill space in his article by trying to relate a cross-check to a contract negotiation, which has nothing to do with anything... I don't think it's wrong to discuss / speculate on the current state of Morrissey's negotiations and wonder what might be going on... other than it appears to be nothing. But there is still time. Is this a case of not being able to agree on anything or does one side just want to wait and see how some other contracts shake out?

Total speculation, but I do wonder where things would have been right now if Morrissey had arbitration rights going into this summer. Would we be looking at him having a 1 year or 2 year deal right now?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
While I'll agree that Wiecek was stretching to fill space in his article by trying to relate a cross-check to a contract negotiation, which has nothing to do with anything... I don't think it's wrong to discuss / speculate on the current state of Morrissey's negotiations and wonder what might be going on... other than it appears to be nothing. But there is still time. Is this a case of not being able to agree on anything or does one side just want to wait and see how some other contracts shake out?

Total speculation, but I do wonder where things would have been right now if Morrissey had arbitration rights going into this summer. Would we be looking at him having a 1 year or 2 year deal right now?

It would be interesting but hard to say one way or the other. I just think his agent and/or management is waiting on more comparable contracts to come into play. Both Nurse and Theodore still remain unsigned and I think what they get will play a large role in what Josh gets. So far we just have the Skeji contract as a direct comparable this summer. I'm sure the Morrissey camp is happy with that but perhaps Jet management is hoping Theodore and Nurse come in lower to shift the market somewhat.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
MoJo is such a nice guy he's bound to give the Jets a discount and sign for 5 years at 3 million. That's like 5 million after taxes.

Nov 24, 2006
I''ve just finished reading an article in the Free Press by Paul Wiecek.
Cause for concern?.....
He seems to suggest that perhaps signing Morrissey won't be easy either.
He reminds us of Trouba's holdout 2 years ago.
I feel a bit angry right now. Yes, Trouba has a right to use his contract bargaining tools.
Still I feel loyalty by players to a team is very important. So is loyalty by management.
I have a lot of respect for players like Scheifele who committed to the Jets and the Winnipeg community. Trouba? Not so much.
And now to suggest Morrissey may be up to the same?.....@#$&!
Discuss......
Wouldn’t put much into what he wrote. Seems like a baseless article in the middle of a slow news cycle. Did he even quote either side, I can’t recall. I don’t think so. Regardless, I wouldn’t worry.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
The only thing I've ever been concerned with after reading a Wiecek article has been my own intelligence. I haven't read anything by Paul in a long time now, and I feel much smarter for it.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It would be interesting but hard to say one way or the other. I just think his agent and/or management is waiting on more comparable contracts to come into play. Both Nurse and Theodore still remain unsigned and I think what they get will play a large role in what Josh gets. So far we just have the Skeji contract as a direct comparable this summer. I'm sure the Morrissey camp is happy with that but perhaps Jet management is hoping Theodore and Nurse come in lower to shift the market somewhat.

I usually view the off-season as 1. free agent frenzy 2. arbitration (or not, but filed) signings 3. August 4. real business with RFAs

That seems to fit Chevy's historical approach and others have mentioned that Chevy/agents are at cabins for a month off. It's fun to joke about Chevy being at the lake all the time but I suspect he really gets August out there and is at work most of the rest of the time so I don't begrudge him that.

Someone will blink first in the Nurse/Theodore/Morrissey grouping and it will probably set off the other two signings as you say. I'm sure Chevy has a very good idea what's going to happen with Trouba moving forward so will do what needs to be done to secure Morrissey. If (and I doubt this) Trouba has given indication of a willingness to stay in Winnipeg I expect we'll see a bridge for Morrissey. The reality is far more likely that Trouba is gone (as discussed ad nauseum) and so it's in the Jets best interests to secure Morrissey by bypassing a bridge deal. I wouldn't be surprised to see a minimum six year deal for whatever is a reasonable AAV over that time frame. I don't mind the Skej deal for Morrissey at all, but pennies count to the Jets in a cap world.

Reactions: Puckatron 3000

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets have a really tight cap situation. I expect that they'd like to sign Morrissey long-term, but if it costs them $5.25-5.5M per year (which it will), then they would be right at the cap with a 23 man roster. I can't see how they could fit Vesalainen into the line-up unless they dump Chiarot (and even then they might not make the cap) or perhaps trade a higher paid vet (like Kulikov, Myers or Perreault).

It's not simply a matter of getting a deal with Morrissey, there are some other contingencies that Chevy is going to have to work through before the season.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The Jets have a really tight cap situation. I expect that they'd like to sign Morrissey long-term, but if it costs them $5.25-5.5M per year (which it will), then they would be right at the cap with a 23 man roster. I can't see how they could fit Vesalainen into the line-up unless they dump Chiarot (and even then they might not make the cap) or perhaps trade a higher paid vet (like Kulikov, Myers or Perreault).

It's not simply a matter of getting a deal with Morrissey, there are some other contingencies that Chevy is going to have to work through before the season.

Any of those guys returns us pennies on the dollar IMO. The two higher paid vets who could fetch a handsome return are Trouba and Wheeler. Any trade of a key player means giving up on this year, so if someone has to go, it might as well be one that can offer the most future upside.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
I don't read it as a hack piece on JoMo at all. I read it as the Jets better pay him or things could turn sour. If he is bridged for 2 years then it's only a matter of another 2 years and he's free. I don't know what Josh is thinking but you have to believe that the Jets want to bridge him. Six years at 5.5 is much better than a 2 year bridge for JoMO. It's not his fault Jets are in potential Cap problems. He could sign for 5.5 and there is still a million left for the 23rd player.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The more you crunch the numbers, the more you realize that the Jets will likely either have to bridge Morrissey or move a vet (Myers, Perreault or Kulikov) to manage their cap situation. As an example, if they sign Morrissey to a $5.3M deal they'll have just over $300k in cap space to start the season. That's without Vesalainen, and doesn't leave any real breathing room for short-term injuries, etc.

My preference is that they sign Morrissey long term and move Myers (I'd trade Kulikov, if he can be traded, but his injury situation might preclude that). Trading Perreault now is another option.

If they insist on keeping Myers and Perreault then they are going to have to give Morrissey a bridge contract, I'm afraid.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Any of those guys returns us pennies on the dollar IMO. The two higher paid vets who could fetch a handsome return are Trouba and Wheeler. Any trade of a key player means giving up on this year, so if someone has to go, it might as well be one that can offer the most future upside.
Trouba and Wheeler are much more valuable to the Jets this season, and they have their sights set on a cup run.

I don't think that trading Myers or Perreault would necessarily mean "giving up" on this year. Myers could be replaced by a cheaper option on the 3rd pair, and I'm not convinced that losing Perreault would sink their fortunes, given their good depth up front. If Petan or Vesalainen looks really good, and/or Dano comes to camp in great form, they might be decent options up front.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The more you crunch the numbers, the more you realize that the Jets will likely either have to bridge Morrissey or move a vet (Myers, Perreault or Kulikov) to manage their cap situation. As an example, if they sign Morrissey to a $5.3M deal they'll have just over $300k in cap space to start the season. That's without Vesalainen, and doesn't leave any real breathing room for short-term injuries, etc.

My preference is that they sign Morrissey long term and move Myers (I'd trade Kulikov, if he can be traded, but his injury situation might preclude that). Trading Perreault now is another option.

If they insist on keeping Myers and Perreault then they are going to have to give Morrissey a bridge contract, I'm afraid.

They don't have to leave a big injury cushion imo. They can lock Morrissey up and maintain the status quo. Ves likely doesn't make the team imo especially if he has a large degree of bonus cash.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They don't have to leave a big injury cushion imo. They can lock Morrissey up and maintain the status quo. Ves likely doesn't make the team imo especially if he has a large degree of bonus cash.
I agree that KVes won't be affordable unless he spends most of the season in the AHL, and doesn't meet his performance bonuses.

I still think they would be very tight if they went into the season with only 200-300k in cap space, which is all they'd have with a long-term Morrissey contract and no other moves.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
to my understanding, JoMo has 4 more years of RFA (7 years NHL or age 27 what ever comes first i believe?)

I'd say Trouba is very similar in value so to hash out a 8 year deal:

Just going off memory here but Trouba's last 3 years of RFA $'s are:
1 year at 2.5
1 year at 2.9
1 year at 5.5

JoMo would have 1 more year as RFA so lets put a year at 6 m as that would be the next $ at the same incremental $ jump

then 4 years UFA @ 7-8 mil so lets average at 7.5 m for these years

That should give a total of 46.9 M over 8 years so a AAV of 5.86 m

Am i off the mark here? I would actually argue that this contract would be on the higher end of fair.

Last edited:

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Trouba is the one that other clubs are most likely to overpay for. He’s marketable in the US, as opposed to yet another bashful Canadian like Morrissey. He might have to go, to break the logjam.

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
I'm typically against young players getting big long-term contracts when they still have a lot to prove. If it were up to me, I'd give him a 2 year bridge deal, but at the same time, if you can sign him for 8 years with an AAV under $6m, it's probably going to be a huge steal a few years down the line, so I'm not going to be upset if they get something like that done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad