What to do with Morrissey

Bridge or Long Term

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I have mentioned it before, I like the Pesce deal as a comparable for Morrissey.... On an 8 year deal he's obviously worth more, i'd think Morrissey's camp would want a deal that takes him to 29-30 though in order to cash another long term deal.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
8 years for JoMo, please... lock him up ASAFP!

1kwc06.jpg

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Anything under 6 million on an 8 year deal for Morrissey will be steal in years 4-8. 7 or 8 years now with the question marks surrounding Trouba no question.

Reactions: GNP

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Voted for bridge for two reasons:

1. In the next 2 years, I don't think he cracks the #1PP behind Buff, so I doubt his offensive numbers go up much. Those are what tend to get you paid (moreso than the shot-based metrics) so the risk of his price skyrocketing during the bridge deal is small.

2. We need the cap space. I see the next 12 months going something like this:

Trouba - traded, but we'll need a replacement top 4 at least
Laine - locked up long-term/big $$$
Wheeler - probably extended 3-5 years, big raise
Connor - could be bridged, could be locked up???
Copp - bridged, not a core piece
Perreault - traded next summer for futures
Myers - walks

If we do shell out for Laine and Wheeler, one of Morrissey and Connor need a bridge deal. Connor's more likely to explode offensively in the role he's in, so he's the one I'd lock up ASAP. Gives us the most flexibility in the next 2-3 years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have mentioned it before, I like the Pesce deal as a comparable for Morrissey.... On an 8 year deal he's obviously worth more, i'd think Morrissey's camp would want a deal that takes him to 29-30 though in order to cash another long term deal.

The Pesce deal would be great but there are other comps out there that pay more such as Mathesens 8x4.8 million deal. Larrson's 5 × 4.5 million deal is also a comp etc. I think factoring all the comps your looking between 4.5 and 5 million depending on term.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The Pesce deal would be great but there are other comps out there that pay more such as Mathesens 8x4.8 million deal. Larrson's 5 × 4.5 million deal is also a comp etc. I think factoring all the comps your looking between 4.5 and 5 million depending on term.
if we took the average of those 3 deals (Matheson is the longest and eats up the most UFA years) the average % of cap hit is 5.9% (5.37% BP, 5.84% AL, 6.5% MM) which is about 4.7M AAV i think that's fair

Nov 24, 2006
Low ball him with a 1 year arbitration deal. Trade him and Jacob Trouba to Florida for Roberto Luongo.

Just like that, we get our Stanley Cup.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
I really hope they lock him up for 8 years if its under 5.5m it's going to be a steal for the jets in the future and Niku coming along nicely is a nice top 4 left side

JohnStaymoose

Bring Back The Trough
Jul 2, 2016
Mordor
To me this kid is more important than Trouba, he has a great head on his shoulders, understands what it takes to not only be successful in this league but to also be a great teammate. Locked him up for 8 years please as he is an important piece to this talented Jets roster.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
7 years at 5.5-6.5 would be great value considering what we expect him to do. If it wasn't for Scheifele he'd be the next captain after Wheeler.

Reactions: 1stDan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad