Bridge or Long Term

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I agree that KVes won't be affordable unless he spends most of the season in the AHL, and doesn't meet his performance bonuses.

I still think they would be very tight if they went into the season with only 200-300k in cap space, which is all they'd have with a long-term Morrissey contract and no other moves.
Agreed they will be tight against the cap for sure this season signing Morrissey now to a long term deal. But the potential savings over signing him in 2 years with arb rights will be well worth this year's efforts. Chevy's cap maneuvers are just getting started and finding a way to squeeze a long term Morrissey deal under the cap is about as easy as it will get for Chevy over the next few years. Bottom line is we need another of our young core signed on a long term value deal. It will never happen with Trouba or Laine and we are just lucky that Scheif's deal is saving our ass.

Reactions: buggs

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
Not sure if anybody caught it, but Chevy was interviewed between the 2nd and 3rd of the Canada/US U18 game last night in Edmonton.

Makes me wonder if he’s in Alberta scouting/talking contract with Morrissey right now. Hopefully something comes to fruition sooner than later.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not sure if anybody caught it, but Chevy was interviewed between the 2nd and 3rd of the Canada/US U18 game last night in Edmonton.

Makes me wonder if he’s in Alberta scouting/talking contract with Morrissey right now. Hopefully something comes to fruition sooner than later.

Well he will definitely be scouting. I would imagine that there are a number of hockey ops people at the tournament and given most of these players are draft eligable I would bet a number of agents are at the tournament as well.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Of course, I also picked sign for 8 years. You never know what is going to happen - if he is going to suffer serious or chronic injury, but you can't let that prevent you.

Of course AAV has to be sensible but he's going to be our best defensemen for years to come.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

What's he doing there? He should be at the cottage.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Well, Morrissey lives in Calgary. Not hard to imagine his agent would fly there too.
You would think that the agent only gets the player involved at the very end of the deal and for the signing. Most cases anyway. Whenever Morrissey was asked about re-signing he ALWAYS deferred to his agent saying that is his job blah blah blah.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I agree that 6 years would be disappointing. He is an RFA for another 4 years.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A bridge deal would pretty much be a fireable offense at this point.

After Morrissey, there is nothing in the organisation that is all of young, proven and certain on the back end. We're in a cap crunch and all that, but if there is a situation in which you cannot afford to take any risks, this is it. Not one of our defensemen is signed for more than three years. One of the two guys who could be cornerstones is likely gone in two years. The prospect pipeline is devoid of top pairing talent. Buff is aging, and the rest are dime in a dozen -type.

Morrissey needs to be locked up long term. If it costs a lot, so be it. We cannot afford to bridge him and then have another Trouba situation in two years.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I prefer a long term deal, but a 1-2 year bridge might be necessary to stack the team this season. They can sign him long term after Kulikov and Myers are off the roster and they have more cap space. Teams at the top often have to compromise. Bolts gave Kucherov and Hedman short deals out of their ELC to manage their cap situation, as an example.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

After Morrissey, there is nothing in the organisation that is all of young, proven and certain on the back end. We're in a cap crunch and all that, but if there is a situation in which you cannot afford to take any risks, this is it. Not one of our defensemen is signed for more than three years. One of the two guys who could be cornerstones is likely gone in two years. The prospect pipeline is devoid of top pairing talent. Buff is aging, and the rest are dime in a dozen -type.

Morrissey needs to be locked up long term. If it costs a lot, so be it. We cannot afford to bridge him and then have another Trouba situation in two years.

Two years? Maybe we've already got another Trouba situation. Maybe Morrissey is also looking to be in a UFA position at the earliest opportunity and isn't interested in a long term deal. Maybe he's already asked to be traded to the Flames. The quiet ones are often the sneakiest. I think Wiecek has heard something.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Two years? Maybe we've already got another Trouba situation. Maybe Morrissey is also looking to be in a UFA position at the earliest opportunity and isn't interested in a long term deal. Maybe he's already asked to be traded to the Flames. The quiet ones are often the sneakiest. I think Wiecek has heard something.
We don't know that yet.

However, Chevy knows. And he is the one who must sign him to a long-term deal, unless Morrissey's agent has literally ruled that out in any case.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
We've got what, 6.5ish in cap space after potential bonuses are factored in?

7-8 years at 6-6.25 would be amazing.

That would be a pretty big overpay imo. That would put Morissey as a top 20 paid defenseman in the league. Most of his comparables are closer to 5-5.5

Whileee

May 29, 2010
We've got what, 6.5ish in cap space after potential bonuses are factored in?

7-8 years at 6-6.25 would be amazing.
Jets have about 6.1M in cap space, incorporating bonuses, according to Cap Friendly.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If Petan is the 13th forward who is called up to fill the 23-man roster, everyone hits their bonuses and my math holds up, we can freely spend 5.66m a year on Morrissey's deal without repercussions next year.

(10.24m current cap space - 0.87m for Petan - 3.71m max bonuses = 5.66m. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
If Petan is the 13th forward who is called up to fill the 23-man roster, everyone hits their bonuses and my math holds up, we can freely spend 5.66m a year on Morrissey's deal without repercussions next year.

(10.24m current cap space - 0.87m for Petan - 3.71m max bonuses = 5.66m. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Nah, you're right. Petans a 2 way so doesn't count yet in capfriendly.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

There is no reason (publicly at least) to suspect anything like the Trouba situation in 2 years, nor the Subban situation either. We are going to be forced to bridge a lot of players for cap reasons going forward.

That said, I think the failure to get Trouba locked up makes it much more important to have Morrissey safely extended for at least 6 years. 8 would be better. I agree with your summation of the risk management involved.

Also, based on last year's play, I'm inclined to think that Morrissey will be the better player over the span of their careers. How good would JoMo be with Trouba's size? :laugh: I digress. Within reason, pay Morrissey what it takes. If that means moving another player, so be it.

What's the top number for Morrissey for an 8 year term? 6.25? 6.5? More? Less? Ehlers got 8% of CH for 7 years. That would be 6.36 now. Is matching the Ehlers contract about right for Morrissey? Or does his lack of scoring drop it below that?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Has Wiecek ever heard anything before? Has he ever broken any story?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
People seem to be assuming that literally every single player hits all their bonuses and that’s a pretty big assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad