OT: What show should I watch next?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Has anyone see Chernobyl on HBO? Only about 5 episodes, but what an awesome mini series. It was a like a multi part movie.

I only saw the first episode. I kept putting off watching it and I wouldn't watch it during the pandemic. Oh and where have you been? It was one of the most popular series of all time.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I keep trying to watch the first episode and either I get distracted or it's really late at night and Ifall asleep before I can finish... do plan on watching the entire series though....

Is there going to be a season 2 or was this a one-and-done type of series?
I believe it was only a 1 season mini series. It felt like a multi part movie though, very well done.

Reactions: Maximus

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Has anyone see Chernobyl on HBO? Only about 5 episodes, but what an awesome mini series. It was a like a multi part movie.

Yes I watched it. Very good series. Solid acting and was pretty riveting. I can see why it was so acclaimed and won awards....highly recommend it.!!

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
How was it compared to Season 1?
I felt it was more entertaining than S1. I particularly enjoyed the dynamic and budding relationship between Greer and Ryan. The overall plot is not bad. I wouldn't say it was better or worse than that of S1.

Up and down the acting from the main to the supporting cast was splendid.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
You guys are stronger mentally than me if you can watch Chernobyl right now. That said it does give me hope, my parents lived close to Chernobyl and survived. Though my mom only came to Kyiv to give birth, before she lived elsewhere.

Ayyy my moms from Kiev but she defected to America before 1986.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The Shield is on Hulu now , been wanting to watch. But then I still haven’t finished the Wire yet. Hmm....

Finish the Wire. Don’t distract yourself from not continuing what just might be the greatest show in television history!

That said once you finish the Wire absolutely go watch the Shield which is way way up there in the annals of TV history as well. To this day Vic Mackey is in my top 3-5 of TV characters ever!

After you start watching the Shield, you’ll find out very quickly why.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Let’s set these parameters to recommend newer shows, let’s say no more than 2 seasons and still going.

I will give my recommendations:

1. The Outsider HBO. Season 1 that just recently ended was a great introduction, hopefully more stories to come

2. My Beautiful Friend HBO. The network just started season 2 but season 1 was a beautiful cinematography. Amazing soundtrack

3. Penny Dreadful (HBO or SHO). They are about to start a new story but the original one was very good

4. Snowfall FX or AMC. Three seasons but it’s sooooo good!

5. Westworld HBO. Great seasons 1-2 and season 3 is just underway but it’s whole new environment.

6. Ozark Netflix. Season 3 was just uploaded for your viewing pleasure. I actually decided to watch it again (to get my wife to catch up) and there are a lot of details I missed that I watched it the first time around. Gets you hooked and keeps you on the edge from the first episode (about 20 min in it turns up the pace of the story into a heart pumping race).

7. Jack Ryan PRIME. Very good fast paced first 2 seasons.

8. Counterpart on Starz (it’s also a separate channel on Prime). Given the current situation it’s a MUST watch. Great everything but now this spy story is so relatable.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Finish the Wire. Don’t distract yourself from not continuing what just might be the greatest show in television history!

That said once you finish the Wire absolutely go watch the Shield which is way way up there in the annals of TV history as well. To this day Vic Mackey is in my top 3-5 of TV characters ever!

After you start watching the Shield, you’ll find out very quickly why.
yeah I only got up to the middle of season 3. All 3 seasons i've watched so far, the first half is slow as hell and then the back half is intense af. I hated season 2 at first, was not interested in the Stevedores at all and wanted to go back to the streets. Then season 3 does go back to Avon and those guys and i'm like, "sheeeeit i miss those Polish mfers". Anyway, you've convinced me, im going to get back into the Wire.

Reactions: Maximus

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Let’s set these parameters to recommend newer shows, let’s say no more than 2 seasons and still going.

I will give my recommendations:

1. The Outsider HBO. Season 1 that just recently ended was a great introduction, hopefully more stories to come

2. My Beautiful Friend HBO. The network just started season 2 but season 1 was a beautiful cinematography. Amazing soundtrack

3. Penny Dreadful (HBO or SHO). They are about to start a new story but the original one was very good

4. Snowfall FX or AMC. Three seasons but it’s sooooo good!

5. Westworld HBO. Great seasons 1-2 and season 3 is just underway but it’s whole new environment.

6. Ozark Netflix. Season 3 was just uploaded for your viewing pleasure. I actually decided to watch it again (to get my wife to catch up) and there are a lot of details I missed that I watched it the first time around. Gets you hooked and keeps you on the edge from the first episode (about 20 min in it turns up the pace of the story into a heart pumping race).

7. Jack Ryan PRIME. Very good fast paced first 2 seasons.

8. Counterpart on Starz (it’s also a separate channel on Prime). Given the current situation it’s a MUST watch. Great everything but now this spy story is so relatable.
Penny Dreadful was great. I'll watch anything that Eva Green is in.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
We share the same taste in TV series!

What is the name of the HBO Iraq war mini series? I loved that too. Skarsgard was in it.

I also liked the Americans and the West Wing. Treme.

Generation Kill made by the guys from the Wire as well as Treme and a series out now called The Plot Against America. They also did The Duece which I thought was pretty good.

Reactions: Ola

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Generation Kill made by the guys from the Wire as well as Treme and a series out now called The Plot Against America. They also did The Duece which I thought was pretty good.

Thanls! I am a huge David Simon fan. Actually read his book a really long time ago. On the killing streets or whatever it was called from when he spent two years with the Homicide unit in Baltimore. Definitely a recommended read.

I never got into the Deuce for some reason, my g/f hated it so couldn’t give it a shot. Will definitely watch the series you mention.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Getting ready in a few minutes to watch Ozark...looking fwd to it.

I was planning on watching it earlier today but MLB Network had Games 5 and 6 of the classic Mets Astros playoff series in '86 and I got hooked for 5-6 hours.

The wifey was thrilled about that...lol

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It is...eh? Was debating watching it or do 2nd season of Designated Survivor. However I thought I read season 3 of Ozark was going to be released today.

If that’s the case, Ozark is the easy call. That said without giving things away, why was Tiger King over hyped?

I disagree with him. It’s not the type of show I usually watch, but I just couldn’t stop. It’s a quick watch so you’ll probably blast right through it. It’s worth the time IMO.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
Just finished Ozark seas 3. Pretty good, not great like seas 1-2. Last 5 seconds of the season is the best part, of course.

Finally getting through Dark which is slow af but good. I mean I love atmosphere but some shows take it too far and use it as an excuse to stretch episodes out. Every scene has to be pointlessly tense and in slow motion? Probably my biggest gripe with the whole format.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad