Extras
Danger 5
The Inbetweeners
Bored to Death

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Some good choices as I'm with you with The Wire, Peaky obviously and Narcos as I've been a huge proponent on this thread for both of them. Never heard of the Mandalorian or the Firefly? What is the premise for both and why are they are in your top 5...just curious seeing I have never seen those two show in anyone's top 5 other than you.

One thing about the Wire. The show runner for the show David Simon is a genius. I wonder tho if most peeps in here watched it. I know for me I only watched it for the first time 4 years ago and so I was late to the game. And so I wonder if there are others here who are like me who had heard how good it was but never invested the time to actually watch it.

Anyone here care to admit they never watched the Wire? And if so why not?

watch firefly/serenity

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
I'd also recommend watching both of the Fyre Festival documentaries on Netflix and Hulu. Crazy story and deep dive into how it all went so wrong.

Blue Men Group

Apr 29, 2019
Hannibal is a master piece. My favorite TV show of all time.

Definitely one of my favorites as well. Such an amazing show, although I will add that it is NOT for everyone.

I am in the middle of Hunters right now - love it.

Peaky Blinders has been mentioned a number of times in this thread. It is probably my favorite show of the last 3-4 years.

Money Heist (Netflix) is amazing. Season 4 comes out next month.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
OZ is awesome. So underrated.

Totally agree about True Detective season 1...Harrelson and McConahy were a great team. I will say season 3 was pretty good as well so you might want to give that a look.

And Fargo...man I loved that show. I hope it comes back. 1st season with Billy Bob Thornton was awesome.
Love OZ, definitely underrated!

I did watch True Detective S3, and while it wasn’t bad or anything, it didn’t come close to S1.
Fargo season 4 will come out this year :) A bit later than expected because of corona. Could really use it now though...

Reactions: Maximus

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
My top 5 modern series of all-time:

1. The Wire
2. The Sopranos
3. Breaking Bad
4. Halt and Catch Fire

If I want another drama series
5. Deadwood

If I want a limited series (1 season)
5. Band of Brothers

If I want a comedy to be different
5. The Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm

We share the same taste in TV series!

What is the name of the HBO Iraq war mini series? I loved that too. Skarsgard was in it.

I also liked the Americans and the West Wing. Treme.

Reactions: nyrage

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I have a real sleeper series that I really would recommend for someone that is looking for quality but have seen “everything”.

The BBC original versions of Tinker Tailor Solidier Spy and Smiley’s People. Think there are like 14 episodes times 60-75 minutes in total. It’s from 1979, but it’s astonishing because like no part of the series seems dated. Amazing acting performances etc. Typical BBC product where it’s obvious that they didn’t have a budget. It’s just awesome. Especially if you haven’t read Le Carres novels, in a while at least.

Is up there with the Wire, Sopranos, True Detective (s1) for me.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Whats most amazing is that MSG has Knicks Rewind on. Its amazing they have them on at all. They won what, 12 games this year? Same or less last year? I mean is there anything worth putting on....

Just put the Rangers on.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Seconded, perhaps the best show that I got into after it was already off the air.

There are 2 kings of the 1 and done series, Firefly and Terriers. They're both terrific shows. Terriers just had a god awful name, I am pretty sure that's why it failed. The head of FX didn't want to do it. Unlike Fox which did it's level best to get Firefly canceled, they even showed the series out of order and skipped days. ugh

Edit: Tim Minear worked on both shows. lol he doesn't have great luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeetchisGod

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Forbrydelsen (I -II-III) - danish crime

Line of duty - crime series from BBC

Modern Family - comedy

Classics

Cheers - comedy

Seinfeld - comedy

Centennial - western/historical

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - spies/cold war

Poirot - Agatha Christie

Reactions: Kallio

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
A lot of good stuff already mentioned, so I'll mention one no one has yet:

See on Apple TV. Stars Jason Mamoa (Khal Drogo/Aquaman).

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
Forbrydelsen (I -II-III) - danish crime

Line of duty - crime series from BBC

Modern Family - comedy

Classics

Cheers - comedy

Seinfeld - comedy

Centennial - western/historical

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - spies/cold war

Poirot - Agatha Christie
Forbrydelsen is absolutely amazing. Didn’t include it on my list since I thought no one would know it here :) Sara Lund is such a great character.

Reactions: ETTER DE

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
The OA on Netflix. Get through the first season, it's slowish. Forgive the weird choreography parts. Season 2 is great.

Maniac also on Netflix, absurdist sci-fi.

Tiger King is amazing, I agree. Blackfish on Hulu is about Killer Whale captivity in places like Sea World.

Wild, Wild Country on Netflix. Docs about cults are apparently a guilty pleasure of mine.

Not shows but some good movies to check out:

Passage to India. David Lean, 1984. I liked it better than Lawrence of Arabia.

Barry Lyndon. Kubric at his most restrained and it's still kind of f'd up. Top tier filmmaking.

Anything by Wes Anderson or Paul Thomas Anderson.

Prospect. Excellent independent sci-fi from 2018. Premise, plot, costumes, props.. all good.

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I have been watching Star Trek Deep Space 9 on NetFlix. It reminds me of more simple times when I used to watch in the 90s on syndication at midnight on my 13” TV next to my bed before sleep.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad