What position of yours, from the start of the season, are you now eating crow on,?

LennyV

Jul 7, 2007
Göteborg
Burakovsky really surprised me. I thought he might be a middle six guy but looks like a solid top six forward now. Also I was skeptical on Talbot but he’s been a pretty reliable backup

Reactions: Altimus

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
See username.

Yeah, this seems to be a universal reply for all of HFboards. I remember that thread playing out a lot like...

Canucks fans.. "we gave up a 1st?!?!?!?!? Benning's worst move yet"

Lightning fans.. "we got a 1st????? Best day ever, who cares that we got swept by CBJ, ancient history"

Rangers fans .. "hahahahah the bozo actually returned a 1st... wait, shit.. why didn't we just trade him for a 1st ourselves???"

Everyone else.. "much confusion, that's probably the worst move of the entire offseason"

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Right now, I did not think Draisitl could run his own line.....right now he is proving me wrong.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
As an Oilers fan-

I thought Draisaitl would regress a bit in scoring, getting 35 or so goals and 85ish points, but playing more away from McDavid. He is playing on a different line now, but still producing just as well (small sample size). I suppose it could still happen?

I thought the Oil would be pretty far back from a playoff spot by this point. The goaltending was supposed to be pretty bad. Given the tight race a couple of games is enough to change the look of the WC playoff race, but we'll be in the mix to the bitter end it looks like.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
1) At least one of Sprong/Steel/Terry would breakout.

2) Last year would be a career year for Draisaitl and he'd regress.

3) Finally Sonny Milano is decent.

4) Penguins cannot afford any injuries and they're sunk and out of the playoffs if a key guy goes down.

5) OEL--Norris candidate.

My Best-Carey

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
From a Bruins standpoint it would be thinking Bjork couldn't be an effective top 9 player, and thinking McAvoy would take a big step in his development (instead of a big regression). I don't think anything has really shocked me from a team standpoint overall, they've had ups and downs but are still one of the top teams in the league.

From a league standpoint San Jose is shocking to me, I didn't anticipate this drop-off at all. I feel like Carlson is an easy answer for player (I knew he was great, but not this great), so I'll go with Dougie Hamilton really rounding a corner, although the injury takes a lot out of it.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Honestly my three hottest takes have been accurate so far (St. Louis best in the West, Nashville and San Jose missing the playoffs).

One thing I didn’t see coming was Vegas struggling. I thought they would run away and hide with the Pacific division. On the positive side, didn’t expect Columbus to be in the running for a playoff spot.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
I thought Toronto would be 2nd in their division. I still have a hard time understanding how a team with two franchise centers isn't stomping everyone.

TheNorthStars

Stars/Leafs
Sep 3, 2018
Last prediction thread I said Babcock would be gone by December - nailed it.

Also predicted Pavelski would have a career year in Dallas... Really bombed on that one...

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I thought Detroit would slightly improve from last season. Instead players regressed and the team has significantly gotten worse.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I didn’t think the Canucks would be a playoff team.

I feel like I blinked and missed them moving from a bottom three team to the top of the Pacific. I guess we’ll see whether they’re overachieving this season or if they’re here to stay. They certainly have the young pieces to be a force to be reckoned with over the next few years.

Reactions: CanuckCity

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Everyone was so convinced Tor/Bos/Tampa would repeat as top 3 in Atl. I disagreed, and was sure one would miss. I picked Boston though. Which is hilarious considering how bad Tampa started, and how Tor is still struggling, and Boston has been the one consistent one all year.

One thing I was right on - Tampa would come roaring back and win division. Held onto it all season, even when they were out playoffs in Dec, and still think so today. We'll see of course, but they've certainly closed the gap big time. If they win their 3 games in hand, they're 2 points back with 30 games to go...

San Jose. I had them as cup favorites from the west. Honestly - i'm stubbornly still going to hold out for a few more weeks. The west is really bad this year, even at 4 games below 500, they're not all that far from the last playoff spot. Could still stage a comeback. We'll see, I know it's a long shot...

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Honestly my three hottest takes have been accurate so far (St. Louis best in the West, Nashville and San Jose missing the playoffs).

One thing I didn’t see coming was Vegas struggling. I thought they would run away and hide with the Pacific division. On the positive side, didn’t expect Columbus to be in the running for a playoff spot.

St. Louis being the best in the west isnt much of a hot take after they just won a Cup and pretty much that entire core is still intact.

Joemoe

Aug 3, 2015
While I didn't think he would win it, I thought Debrincat would be in the Rocket Richard conversation.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I thought Makar's playoffs were a mirage, and he'd be a distant 3rd in Calder voting to Kakko & Hughes (both of whom i thought would be much better than they have been)

Thought Fox would need seasoning in the AHL, boy was I wrong there

Thought Panarin would only be an 80ish point player for us on such a bad team

Thought Howden might actually be sent down to the AHL, but no, he just continues to make every line he's on that much worse

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad