What position of yours, from the start of the season, are you now eating crow on,?

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Thought it would be interesting to hear what opinions you had that have gone completely opposite of what you thought so far this year.

It could be an opinion on a
  1. Team
  2. Player
  3. Prospect
  4. Coach
Here are a few of mine
-- I thought the islanders would be maybe a few games over .500 and would take a step back from last WRONG
-- JT Miller, didn't expect that production, if Vancouver makes the playoffs I think that trade looks good for them. I thought it was a trainwreck at the time. WRONG
-- the 2019 draft class. I just expected more the whole group. WRONG

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
That McDavid would look like hands down the best player in the w...oh wait I never thought so. I guess that the Hawks would be a playoff team. That was more like a bold take that still had a decent chance to turn out right but oh well..

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Hamilton has always been up and down. After his start last season I wasn't a big fan but then he had a good 2nd half.

So I guess my crow is I never once in my life thought Hamilton would compete for a Norris but IMO he would have won it if not for his injury.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Too many to mention.
I suppose the New Jersey situation where they made significant moves toward hitting the next level but unfortunately realized the opposite is as strong a candidate as any.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
That Alex Galchenyuk would score at least 60 points on the Pens. Been waiting for years to take my bow for my "Galchenyuk is the next Seguin" hot take.

Also that McAvoy would be a run away favorite for the Norris.

I also took Hayton, Thomas and Glass in the last 3 rounds of my limited keeper league. All ended up being worthless and quick drops. But I did hit on Samsonov!!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I thought after last season's performance, Mike Sullivan had lost the room and he'd never be able to get them to buy in to a more structured game. Glad I was wrong about that.

I thought Galchenyuk could be a 20+ goal, 50+ point guy for the Pens in their top six next to Malkin. This one sucks to be wrong about.

Reactions: CanuckCity and qqaz

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I thought Phil Kessel and Clayton Keller would score like madmen with Arizona. Both guys are on pace for only about 50 points.

I thought Barrie would play like an 8 million dollar player. He's been largely a bust, and the defensive issues are worse than I expected.

I thought Gusev, Subban, and the Devils would be a revelation. They're sub par, or worse.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Thought NJ was easily in a playoff spot, and Columbus was easily out of one

I know this is a "what were you wrong about" thread, but I never understood why so many people thought that NJ team would suddenly be so good. I never saw the hype. Maybe, if all went perfectly, a bubble playoff team. But people were penciling them in as though they were a lock to make the playoffs.

They were a meh team who added an 18 year old rookie, and two badly regressing (Subban and Simmonds) players who aren't close to what they used to be. That wasn't enough to move them from crap to playoff lock.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
1) Devils i thought were going to be decent, not being .500 literally once this season since the opening night SO loss was really surprising. Even the Senators hit .500 once in November. Just tells you how bad things went.
2) Galchenyuk i thought would hit it off with Geno, instead he's spent time on the 4th line.
3) Kakko would score ~40 points, doesn't seem like he's going to get there.
4) I wasn't sold on Reirden's ability to motivate the group like Trotz could, but so far so good as they're pacing for same type of season as in 16/17 (118 pts).

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Opposite ends of the spectrum:

I thought the Bruins would start showing chinks in their armour and be on the decline, whereas I thought Duchene was going to help Nashville take it to another level.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I genuinely thought NJD would be a playoff team.

It seems to be a common one in this thread, but I thought they'd be doing quite well

TanguaySauce

Better Than BBQ
Jan 3, 2018
Shaolin Island
I thought Kakko would be loads better than Hughes and while they are pretty similar stat-wise, I see way better decision making on the ice from Jack than I do from Kaapo.

I also thought Binnington would lose the starting spot by the all-star break after playing lights out in the playoffs a la Cam Ward.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
That Alex Galchenyuk would score at least 60 points on the Pens. Been waiting for years to take my bow for my "Galchenyuk is the next Seguin" hot take.

Also that McAvoy would be a run away favorite for the Norris.

I also took Hayton, Thomas and Glass in the last 3 rounds of my limited keeper league. All ended up being worthless and quick drops. But I did hit on Samsonov!!

Thomas has been doing well lately

Reactions: BlueDream

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I thought the Kings would be better(not playoff worthy, but better). I'm conceding that I was wrong.
I also predicted the Golden Knights would miss the playoffs. They're dangling, so I'll keep waiting.

Reactions: Choralone

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad