What position of yours, from the start of the season, are you now eating crow on,?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I know this is a "what were you wrong about" thread, but I never understood why so many people thought that NJ team would suddenly be so good. I never saw the hype. Maybe, if all went perfectly, a bubble playoff team. But people were penciling them in as though they were a lock to make the playoffs.

They were a meh team who added an 18 year old rookie, and two badly regressing (Subban and Simmonds) players who aren't close to what they used to be. That wasn't enough to move them from crap to playoff lock.

Simmonds was close to a non-factor for me (had him on the 4th line + pp net front guy in my lineup projections) but Subban was exactly what they needed on paper, a top 4 RHD with a big shot. PK might be on the decline but you give the benefit of the doubt to the 30-year old veteran player who seemed to work his ass off in the summer and wasn't THAT bad in Nashville. Obviously didn't work out as he's about to end up with the worst season of his career.

Hall missed 49 games last year. Getting him back was big - until it wasn't when he didn't look like himself at all and the team looks better without him.

Schneider/Blackwood were decent down the stretch last year and it seemed like they would have something to build on, and Schneider was going to be healthy again. Can't be that bad for forever right? Wrong, found himself in the minors.

You expect the secondary (young) guys who helped this team to make the playoffs 2 years ago to get better as they're over their 20's with considerable NHL experience now. Instead, literally none of them is taking any sort of impactful steps forward.

To top it all off, i can't name a single player with pedigree who is having a good season. Hischier and Palmieri are performing up to their standards i guess but that's offset by the guys who are underperforming. I don't think there's a single player you can say is having an outstanding season. Usually teams have at least a player or two who are rolling.

I thought we'd see the team come out the way they did in 17/18 after missing the playoffs, and with more skill this time around at least be the team they were then (WC contender). But it went the opposite direction, somehow they're clearly worse.

They were a bit of a mystery box i'll give you that, but to have nothing go right doesn't happen very often.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I thought the Blues would have a bad Cup hang-over. Kind of they did in their advanced stats, but they managed to continue to win games and accumulate points while that was happening. I don’t think I can get credit for that call.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
-I thought the Leafs can be successfull having a top heavy team (salary wise) and they would be able to hide their depth issues.

- i thought CBJ would be a bottom feeder

- I thought Q hughes would only be a 1-way purely offensive player and would be exposed defensively.. couldn't be more wrong

Reactions: CanuckCity

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I know this is a "what were you wrong about" thread, but I never understood why so many people thought that NJ team would suddenly be so good. I never saw the hype. Maybe, if all went perfectly, a bubble playoff team. But people were penciling them in as though they were a lock to make the playoffs.

They were a meh team who added an 18 year old rookie, and two badly regressing (Subban and Simmonds) players who aren't close to what they used to be. That wasn't enough to move them from crap to playoff lock.

I thought Subban would be better being the anchor of a defense as he seems to excel in the spotlight. He was very good 2 seasons ago with Nashville and thought last season was just a down year.

I also thought Hughes was good for ~60pts

No more or less work from Schneider

Gusev has 60+pt hype

If things worked out like I expected that’s a lot to add to a roster that made the playoffs 2 seasons ago.

Instead they got a meh top 4D, a 30pt guy not ready for the NHL, A 40pt guy who’s awful defensively and still mediocre at best goaltending

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I can't really think of anything I didn't see coming.

I mean I didn't think the Preds were winning the Cup or anything but I suppose I didn't see them missing the playoffs either.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Everyone knows at the start of the season I said that by the all star brake the Coyotes would be a 55 point team, 56 tops. In no world did I think theyd be where they are points wise

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Like lots of people in this thread, I thought that my Devils would be a playoff team after the off-season we had. :(

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
That Alex Galchenyuk would score at least 60 points on the Pens. Been waiting for years to take my bow for my "Galchenyuk is the next Seguin" hot take.

Also that McAvoy would be a run away favorite for the Norris.

I also took Hayton, Thomas and Glass in the last 3 rounds of my limited keeper league. All ended up being worthless and quick drops. But I did hit on Samsonov!!

What can Galchenyuk hope for in a contract next season? Has he been given so many good opportunities that he needs to take a 1 year, 1M show me contract?

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I thought the Flames would be a good team, even if they regressed a bit. I thought Gaudreau would be a P/PG player for most of his career.

f*** this season.

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Rust and Konecny have been freaking good.
Ilya doing great now, expected him to go to KHL.
Columbus surprised me for sure.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I've never been a big Monahan fan but I thought he was taking some steps to be a more complete center. Same meh as always and he can't even hit the net from his sweet spot this year.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I was pretty wrong about JT Miller.

I thought it was absurd that Vancouver gave up a first round pick for a $5.5M dollar player coming off a 13 goal season from a team that had no choice but to trade him due to finances and the fact that his trade protection was about to kick in.

But he's probably been THE best summer addition to any team, so, damn. Crow on my plate.

Hockey Nebula

Jan 10, 2019
I'm not a fan of Edmonton, but I like to watch them from time to time.

I remember when Holland signed a number of unknown players from Europe and some other sort of forgettable players to fill the bottom of the lineup. It looked really bad and desperate and I thought the Oilers would tank. Badly.

It's taken a while, but some of those players are solidifying the lineup and the team is still in the playoff hunt.

So I was wrong.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I was pretty wrong about JT Miller.

I thought it was absurd that Vancouver gave up a first round pick for a $5.5M dollar player coming off a 13 goal season from a team that had no choice but to trade him due to finances and the fact that his trade protection was about to kick in.

But he's probably been THE best summer addition to any team, so, damn. Crow on my plate.

Same. I'm scared to look back at all my awful hot takes from the trade board went it went down. I hope that thread stays dead and buried.

Credit to JT. Guy has clearly taken his game to new heights and is not just stat padding next to Pettersson. Would have been nice if JT had gotten his shit together just a few years earlier, he would be a key player in NY right now.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Found my post from a prediction thread before the season started:

Your bold predictions for the coming season

There is at least one that I got right!!!

"'-The Leafs get off to a very poor start, Babcock is fired and then Matthews is finally unleashed and scores a 1.5 PPG pace from there on out"

I'm a genius !!! /s My Patrick (though I get a mulligan on that due to his concussion issues), Islanders, Seguin, Glass and Blackhawk predictions are way off

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I thought the Preds would have a great season. They could still make the playoffs, but I'm stunned at how poor they've been
I also thought Bobrovsky would do decent, not great, but certainly not THIS bad

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Preds would be 1st or 2nd in Central.
Devils would be in a wildcard spot and the Rangers beneath them.
Q.Hughes was too small and get injured in his first season.
Flames to be leading the division.
Condors to be leading the AHL Pacific division.
Dylan Strome to bust hard this season after overachieving last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad