Player Discussion What is Djoos' fate?

What happens to Djoos?

• Total voters

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
In the hands of the arbiter
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Johansen's cap hit is $925K, which is essentially all the cap space the Capitals have. If they're going with a waiver exempt #7, Lewington makes more sense ($675K).

But even that premise is somewhat questionable. A waiver exempt #8 is fine, as is a 22 man roster. Running a 21 man roster with only 6 D regularly up means that if someone gets hurt in the warm-ups, you're playing with 5 D that night.

Lewington is not waiver exempt, though. Otherwise, I'd have him in that spot, no problem.

I'm not sure I follow you regarding the roster. A 22 man roster is 12 forwards, 6 defensemen, 2 goalies, 2 spares. If we had Siegenthaler and Johansen as #6 and #7, they could both be assigned to Hershey for any breaks to save a bit of cap space.

We might very well end up with Lewington in #7 anyway. It seems like a small thing but if Djoos is awarded $1.1m in arbitration, I have no idea where that extra ~$150 grand is coming from. Sending Copley down and going with Vanecek? There is just no fat to trim on this roster.

All of this assuming that Stephenson is send packing and we go with 22 man roster.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I get that we're up against the cap but the hand wringing and wishes to trade a proven NHL puck moving d-man over 200k and start players with less than 10 NHL GP is absuuuuurd.... so I expected nothing less of this board.

If the Caps need to free up a few 100k the obvious decision is to trade Copley, not the guy you were willing to go to arbitration for.

Reactions: um and txpd

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I get that we're up against the cap but the hand wringing and wishes to trade a proven NHL puck moving d-man over 200k and start players with less than 10 NHL GP is absuuuuurd.... so I expected nothing less of this board.

If the Caps need to free up a few 100k the obvious decision is to trade Copley, not the guy you were willing to go to arbitration for.

Aren't you just the very wisest, bestest Cap fan ever? It's a discussion, bud.

You are so wise, riddle me this. When you trade Copley and his $1.1m contract who is playing back-up goalie? By the way, a spot that has been absolutely critical to Caps success over the last two seasons. Are we giving 25 games to a guy with precisely zero NHL games or are we going to market and picking up one of these awesome backups that cost less than $1.1m?

Making this sound like a cut and dry decision is what's absurd. Sorry, absuuuuuurd.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe he isn't the

You are so wise, riddle me this. When you trade Copley and his $1.1m contract who is playing back-up goalie? By the way, a spot that has been absolutely critical to Caps success over the last two seasons. Are we giving 25 games to a guy with precisely zero NHL games or are we going to market and picking up one of these awesome backups that cost less than $1.1m?

Making this sound like a cut and dry decision is what's absurd. Sorry, absuuuuuurd.
wisest but he is probably right. I am not sure what the details will be but I expect Djoos to be on the team.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Maybe he isn't the

wisest but he is probably right. I am not sure what the details will be but I expect Djoos to be on the team.

It's certainly a possibility. I think if BMac was 100% adamant about having Djoos on the team next year, we had to sign him to ~$.9m multi-year deal and roll with 22 man roster.

As it is, I am 50/50 on rotating Siegenthaler, Lewington, Johansen or whoever else of the bazillion D prospects OR getting rid of Copley and going with Vanecek as back up. For what it's worth, I was quite impressed with Siegenthaler last season. I think he should have played many more games than he did and I have no issues with him playing a semi permanent #6 role.

I also quite like Djoos as a player and I brought up trading him purely from perspective of what's better for his long term career. No issues having him on the the team next year.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
If the get rid of Copley they’d need another vet to expose for the expansion draft

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am still bearish on Djoos and have been for pretty much his whole career - solely because of him being a buck sixty and change. I ate some crow in our cup securement but last year, I saw little besides a handful of breakouts that in the end were run of the mill for NHLers. I grade playoffs much heavier over regular season and he was over matched and got benched. I expect injuries from any player that plays around 170, except the great one, of course.

With our deep LD pool, how many more years does GMBM stay bullish on him, with so many other options at his disposal? Being in arb points to not being very bullish.

I kind of feel like he is BMacs project, the same way Sarge was George's. At least BMac didn't gush and rush to sign him after we won the cup.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

What's a discussion where a dissenting opinion isn't allowed? Pretty shit discussion if you're only allowed to entertain hyperbole and one side of the argument.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I am still bearish on Djoos and have been for pretty much his whole career - solely because of him being a buck sixty and change. I ate some crow in our cup securement but last year, I saw little besides a handful of breakouts that in the end were run of the mill for NHLers. I grade playoffs much heavier over regular season and he was over matched and got benched. I expect injuries from any player that plays around 170, except the great one, of course.

With our deep LD pool, how many more years does GMBM stay bullish on him, with so many other options at his disposal? Being in arb points to not being very bullish.

I kind of feel like he is BMacs project, the same way Sarge was George's. At least BMac didn't gush and rush to sign him after we won the cup.

I’m with you. I like the player well enough, but I’m of the opinion you need elite skill or elite skating (or both) if you’re going to be his size and expect to be successful as a regular NHL D, especially on a real contender.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I’m with you. I like the player well enough, but I’m of the opinion you need elite skill or elite skating (or both) if you’re going to be his size and expect to be successful as a regular NHL D, especially on a real contender.

He seems fairly mobile but is no where near as fast / shifty as one would expect from a guy of his size. It's maybe why he ended up playing defense. Well, besides playing defense being in his DNA - like his dad Per Djoos. Ok, forced upon him by his father like me making my son a left shot. I just looked Tata Djoos was 6'0 198, but on his close to rookie card... 170!

4915-372Bk.jpg

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I know its not much more than 10 games, but if Djoos goes its pretty much a lock that the 5/6 pair is Gudas and Siegs. Siegs certainly accounted himself fine in the NHL last year, especially in the playoffs. I'm not entirely sure Djoos even starts over Siegs if both are on the roster. Depth is a problem if we have TWO injuries to starting Dmen, but Djoos is our 6/7 with Siegs, so I'm not that concerned. If we lose Djoos, then yes, Depth is an issue if we have one injury, but such is life for most all NHL teams.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Shouldn't there be some news on Djoos? If there hasn't been any report on a new contract does that mean he's actually going through the arbitration process?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Shouldn't there be some news on Djoos? If there hasn't been any report on a new contract does that mean he's actually going through the arbitration process?

His hearing is over and the decision is expected tomorrow IINM. Of course they can always agree to another contract before the arbitrator hands down his decision.

Reactions: Hivemind

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Id be suprised if they reach a deal before the announcement by the arbitrator tomorrow

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It'd be nice to know the numbers exchanged at least since rulings so often come close to splitting it down the middle.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
My guess is it lands around $1.1m. Serviceable young NHLer.

Guessing Caps offered ~$.850 for 2 years.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
My guess is it lands around $1.1m. Serviceable young NHLer.

Guessing Caps offered ~$.850 for 2 years.

how does he jump 500k when he barely played half a season?
that also means djoos was asking for 1.5 mil a year which he wont be

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
how does he jump 500k when he barely played half a season?
that also means djoos was asking for 1.5 mil a year which he wont be

I think it's because he is coming off a 2 year deal and he was considerably under-paid in year 1. I think his camp was asking for ~$1.3m.

I just don't think that teams go to arbitration over a couple of bucks. If Caps were offering $.8m and Djoos wanted $1m, they would have hashed out a deal.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I think it's because he is coming off a 2 year deal and he was considerably under-paid in year 1. I think his camp was asking for ~$1.3m.

I just don't think that teams go to arbitration over a couple of bucks. If Caps were offering $.8m and Djoos wanted $1m, they would have hashed out a deal.

think its more like caps are only offering djoos his qualifying offer (715k) and he likely asking for 1 mil to get it around 850k-900k

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad