Player Discussion What is Djoos' fate?

What happens to Djoos?

• Total voters

Jun 15, 2007
Dont agree. Hathaway is better then Stephenson and besides the caps have enough d prospects for one of them to be a #7

He is but that's because Stephenson sucks.

The margin between Djoos and the 8th defenseman is bigger than the margin between the 12thf and the 13th F.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I hope we don't have to ditch any of our new found toughness to secure his spot as a 6/7

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Trade him to Vegas and lets roll with Lewington. The goal scoring machine.

It would sure seem to generate some resentment to be the guy sent to Hershey over an arbitrators ruling. 1.25 sounds high to me. Especially Siggy who should just sell that bad luck condo.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I’m going to use this as an opportunity for my NHL salary cap change TED talk, some ideas

1. Cap needs to be established by the end of the previous regular season.

2. I would like to see a scaling cap per team that adjusts to offset tax benefits of certain teams. For instance signing in California is brutal and your takeaway is less than taking the exact contract in Florida.

3. There should be a tag you can use on X amount of home grown talent that allows you take X amount or X percent off the salary cap books. Basically incentivize teams for drafting well, for instance you use the tag on Ovechkin and you can pay him $10 million but only 8 of which hits the cap.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What is a team in worse salary cap shape for $300? Alex

George is always a sucker for PMDs.

84e8bb210a4a42d577208614de556d9a

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
There are 3 options in decreasing likelihood
Trade Djoos
Carry 21
Stash Djoos

Jun 15, 2007
I’m going to use this as an opportunity for my NHL salary cap change TED talk, some ideas

1. Cap needs to be established by the end of the previous regular season.

2. I would like to see a scaling cap per team that adjusts to offset tax benefits of certain teams. For instance signing in California is brutal and your takeaway is less than taking the exact contract in Florida.

3. There should be a tag you can use on X amount of home grown talent that allows you take X amount or X percent off the salary cap books. Basically incentivize teams for drafting well, for instance you use the tag on Ovechkin and you can pay him $10 million but only 8 of which hits the cap.

1) Playoff revenue is HRR. Can't do it.

2) Why only adjust for tax and not other factors? Toronto is a big city with lots of hockey prestige. Tavares signed there to go home. Should Toronto have a lower cap too then? What about Washington? How do you calculate their tax when some live in DC, MD, some in VA, etc?

3) Why? That doesn't really do anything except make UFA more boring.

Reactions: Hivemind

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The problem with trading Djoos is that his return surely won’t match his potential.

I really think he can be an excellent NHL dman

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
1) Playoff revenue is HRR. Can't do it.

2) Why only adjust for tax and not other factors? Toronto is a big city with lots of hockey prestige. Tavares signed there to go home. Should Toronto have a lower cap too then? What about Washington? How do you calculate their tax when some live in DC, MD, some in VA, etc?

3) Why? That doesn't really do anything except make UFA more boring.

1. You can do it, you just can’t continue to do it the NHL way. Literally every other professional sport with a cap finds a way to establish it in a timely manner. Does that mean they likely would have to scrap the current CBA system? Yeah, but that doesn’t mean it “can’t” be done.

2. Prestige of area and desire to live there is subjective, it’s a fair part of the recruitment process. Financial disparity is objective and a clear disadvantage across the board to certain teams. Additionally, my third point makes this rule effective. If you want to play in NYC or your hometown you potentially leave money on the table to leave the team that drafted you. Lastly you calculate tax based upon the locale of the organization that is already used when the pay taxes now (they have to pay income tax in every place they play currently). That shit literally has been figured out.

3. It’s a trade off, you’d see way more blockbuster trades with money retained.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
they literally just traded burakovsky for a second and third rounders
Bura is a former first rounder. Many GMs in the league believe they can make him the top 6 F he was projected as.

Djoos has already exceeded his potential ceiling in the eyes of many, he’s a mid tier draft pick coming off a devastating injury and career low. I think his actual potential and how he’d be valued in trade scenarios is probably not aligned.

Jun 15, 2007
1. You can do it, you just can’t continue to do it the NHL way. Literally every other professional sport with a cap finds a way to establish it in a timely manner. Does that mean they likely would have to scrap the current CBA system? Yeah, but that doesn’t mean it “can’t” be done.

2. Prestige of area and desire to live there is subjective, it’s a fair part of the recruitment process. Financial disparity is objective and a clear disadvantage across the board to certain teams. Additionally, my third point makes this rule effective. If you want to play in NYC or your hometown you potentially leave money on the table to leave the team that drafted you. Lastly you calculate tax based upon the locale of the organization that is already used when the pay taxes now (they have to pay income tax in every place they play currently). That **** literally has been figured out.

3. It’s a trade off, you’d see way more blockbuster trades with money retained.

Which doesn't address the main issue in the first place which is that the cap works just fine for the owners as is and they have no desire to spend more money on players.

Cost certainty was the whole reason for the cap. Anything that takes away cost certainty defeats the purpose.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Bura is a former first rounder. Many GMs in the league believe they can make him the top 6 F he was projected as.

Djoos has already exceeded his potential ceiling in the eyes of many, he’s a mid tier draft pick coming off a devastating injury and career low. I think his actual potential and how he’d be valued in trade scenarios is probably not aligned.

How many actual NHL GM’s have you spoken to about Bura and Djoos lol?!!

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Well stashing him doesn't seem to be an option. Why would Djoos ask for so much if it's just going to force a trade

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Its seems pointless to have an arb when he just takes the average of the bid and ask.

He should just come to his own conclusion. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky Djoosies camp didnt ask for 2.5.

Monster season leading us to a cup win, puck mover with TONS of offensive upside, really looking to break out in 18-19, but wrecked by injury, looking to bounce back in his 10 TOI this year.... yep we want 2.5, He's earned it.

Oh yeah? 2.5? lets see him PK1 and block shots for a month

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Well stashing him doesn't seem to be an option. Why would Djoos ask for so much if it's just going to force a trade

cause he knows he is gonna get nhl time and now a good chunk of money no matter what. its like an insurance policy. either caps keep him or he goes to another nhl team to play

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->