In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Being jacked is just an oil bag away:

Greg-Valentino.jpg

Might be a tad unwieldly, tho.

Last edited:

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
I'd really like to hold on to Djoos for at least this season. He's still only 24, he generates transition and offense, and he has legit Stanley Cup experience. He's in the age range where good defensemen blossom, and he's likely going to be very affordable this season.

I agree. He's a known quantity with some additional upside. Against popular opinion here, Siege still has to prove himself. If it gets rough, Djoos will be good to have around. And who knows, in training camp Djoos could win a spot in the top 6.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The problem with camp deciding spots is that Djoos should shine more than the more defensive competition. Anything offensive is all glitter and glamor for fans coaches looking for clues. Malenstyn aside, there is no real hitting so life is easier on the smaller more frail types. A guy more cut from the shot block or hit cloth, will do neither in camp. So, that D first guy almost has to score a goal to wow coaches. Alzner remembers. Even if he does score, most will laugh it off and know not to expect it again.

I think Djoos easily beats out Siggy if there is a direct competition for one spot. If he scores a goal, case closed. Irony is that Djoos needs a Sig type to thrive.

Reality is that coaches know both players and need to see exactly nothing to know both of their strengths and weaknesses. I think this past playoffs was a good indicator of where they are. I am not going to chalk up Djoos getting benched to injury - maybe some rust but whatever everyone has to play through. Carolina was big and fast up front and he struggled. The weaknesses I saw were basically the same as when he got his ring.

Last edited:
Reactions: racingmoose

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
shouldnt we have heard djoos and caps filings by now? its monday morning and has to be 48 hours before no?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
He had a pretty bad season and is comming of a major injury, I can't see him getting much more then league min

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Now less then 24 hours til his hearing starts and still no numbers

Friedman has started to tweet the Tuesday filings and still nothing abour monday Djoos

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
With no cap space, and the league in love with cup winning puck movers, why EDIT didn't we see Djoos get an offer sheet? I hear they are all the rage cough ok once every decade.

Half joking aside I feel like a division rival had little reason with space and a hatred for the caps to not target him if he is really that good and Todd loves him. Especially if they had insider info that he is crushing protein shakes and has finally killed his off the charts metabolism.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
With no cap space, and the league in love with cup winning puck movers, why don't we see any offer sheets? I hear they are all the rage cough ok once every decade.

Half joking aside I feel like a division rival has little reason with space and a hatred for the caps to not target him if he is really that good and Todd loves him. Especially if they had insider info that he is crushing protein shakes and has finally killed his off the charts metabolism.
Players who are heading to salary arbitration are not eligible to sign offer sheets.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
With no cap space, and the league in love with cup winning puck movers, why EDIT didn't we see Djoos get an offer sheet? I hear they are all the rage cough ok once every decade.

Half joking aside I feel like a division rival had little reason with space and a hatred for the caps to not target him if he is really that good and Todd loves him. Especially if they had insider info that he is crushing protein shakes and has finally killed his off the charts metabolism.

You can’t joke the Collective.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
i mean who the heck knows whats going on right now. no one filed on either side apparently so we dont even know who is asking what

also, no one knows the filings of the other two guys with hearings tomorrow with aston-reese of pens and weager of panthers

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The meeting started at 9am.

Djoos: I am great at creating offense.
Arb: You only had 10 points last year.
Djoos: C'mon, I am a defensemen and almost lost a leg.
Arb: Have you added any weight?
Djoos: No, I actually have lost weight
Arb: I think we have heard enough. I do hereby award the low ball amount from your cash strapped GM.

He better fit under the cap because that would really suck for the guy sent to Hershey to make room.

Reactions: Silky mitts

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Arb: I think we have heard enough. I do hereby award the low ball amount from your cash strapped GM.

He better fit under the cap because that would really suck for the guy sent to Hershey to make room.

Can you imagine....”congrats on your new big arbitration award. Here’s a Greyhound ticket to Hershey”.

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019

I really don't see him getting much. Hopefully below 900k because he's still a valuable dman.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I think a change of team would do Djoos a lot of good at this point. We are really not giving him much opportunity to play to his strength or grow as a player. I don't think he would be very upset about a trade to a team like Ottawa. A regular spot in the top-4 on a bottom feeder beats a regular healthy scratch on a contender, at least when it comes to a 24 year old defenseman desperately trying to establish himself as an NHL regular.

I'm comfortable having Djoos around for next year for around $1m - $1.2m.

One thing of note. It would be very beneficial for us to have a waiver ineligible player in that spot, such as Johansen. We are going to be squeezed right up against the cap and paper transactions back and forth to and from Hershey on breaks/days off add up to a pretty substantial chunk of cap space over the course of the season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I think a change of team would do Djoos a lot of good at this point. We are really not giving him much opportunity to play to his strength or grow as a player. I don't think he would be very upset about a trade to a team like Ottawa. A regular spot in the top-4 on a bottom feeder beats a regular healthy scratch on a contender, at least when it comes to a 24 year old defenseman desperately trying to establish himself as an NHL regular.

I'm comfortable having Djoos around for next year for around $1m - $1.2m.

One thing of note. It would be very beneficial for us to have a waiver ineligible player in that spot, such as Johansen. We are going to be squeezed right up against the cap and paper transactions back and forth to and from Hershey on breaks/days off add up to a pretty substantial chunk of cap space over the course of the season.
Johansen's cap hit is $925K, which is essentially all the cap space the Capitals have. If they're going with a waiver exempt #7, Lewington makes more sense ($675K).

But even that premise is somewhat questionable. A waiver exempt #8 is fine, as is a 22 man roster. Running a 21 man roster with only 6 D regularly up means that if someone gets hurt in the warm-ups, you're playing with 5 D that night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad