Player Discussion What is Djoos' fate?

What happens to Djoos?

• Total voters

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Kempny-Carlson was our only consistently effective pairing last year, and aside from too many penalties and an untimely injury, Kempny did nothing but improve. Why are people always so eager to bump him for a prospect with limited or no NHL experience?
Kempny-Carlson also bled scoring chances against (or shots against, shot attempts against, goals against, or whatever metric you pick) at the highest rate on the team, despite getting much softer match-ups and deployments than the Orlov-Niskanen pairing. They were the most effective pairing because they generated offensive opportunities (in part thanks to getting plenty of offensive zone starts and not having shutdown match-ups to slow them down), but not because they were a particularly well-rounded pairing. Every single defensive pairing on the team needs to be better, Kempny/Carlson included.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Kuznetsov is also a crucial ingredient in them being better defensively on whole. No one in the league bled high quality chances against like that guy did last season. Even if they end up getting quality play from their 4/5 it won't matter much if 92 loafs.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Kuznetsov is also a crucial ingredient in them being better defensively on whole. No one in the league bled high quality chances against like that guy did last season. Even if they end up getting quality play from their 4/5 it won't matter much if 92 loafs.

Kuznetsov is the straw that stirs the drink. With top-20-player-in-the-league Kuznetsov they're one of the two or three best teams in the league and a top favorite to win the Cup. With 10:30-on-a-Tuesday-night-beer-league-effort Kuznetsov they are probably still a top 10 team but not nearly as complete or threatening.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Jensen i
Without Niskanen that second pairing could have a very different role. As you said Orlov might not be able to carry the load as the 1B defensemen like Niskanen did, especially without a defensive minded partner like Niskanen was.

I'd prefer a more balanced defense as Orlov-Jensen really isn't ideal for me. Maybe split ice time like this:

Kempny-Carlson (22:00 a game)
Orlov-Gudas (19:30 a game)
Djoos/Siegenthaler-Jensen (18:30 a game)

Jensen would still have a lot of responsibility and we can rely on our third pairing to also produce offense.

Of course we'll find out what works during the season.

Jensen is a defense first player. Is more like Niskanen than Orlov.

That second pair will only have a different role than in the past if they put Orlov in Kempny's spot and use Carlson for everything.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I see something like this at the trade deadline:
Alexeyev/Fehervary/Seige - Carlson (John boosting another D to an NHL role)

No. Carlson at present is used away from the opposing first line to create offense. He can not do that with a bone ass rookie as his stable backup.

The only way that has any chance of working is turning Carlson into Niskanen. Ain't happening.

Might they try that like they did with Djoos. Sure, but when the games counted they replaced Djoos. 2 trade deadlines in a row.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

It's amazing to me that just one year ago, this team trusted Kuznetsov to be on the ice to hold a one goal lead in the final minute of the Stanley Cup final. And in the 14 months since, he completely tanked defensively.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
No. Carlson at present is used away from the opposing first line to create offense. He can not do that with a bone ass rookie as his stable backup.

The only way that has any chance of working is turning Carlson into Niskanen. Ain't happening.

Might they try that like they did with Djoos. Sure, but when the games counted they replaced Djoos. 2 trade deadlines in a row.

Well except for the Cup run

Jun 15, 2007
Waived. So either Hershey or another NHL team but not the Caps. Looks like Option 1 was correct.

Reactions: Sam Spade

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Guessing Hershey. Top pair. 22 mins a game. First call up. This includes after MF is assigned after Kempny comes back

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It kinda suuuucks to learn he cleared waivers, yet we played him over Siggy for fear we would lose him on waivers.

To accommodate him, Todd moved Carlson to LD on the eve of the playoffs. It's mind boggling and no surprise he looked lost. I still cannot believe CD meant that much to our team, to try that stunt. I can see that extent of shuffling done for a difference maker; heh he was a difference maker... for Carolina.

I am glad we didn't hold him all year again, out of fear of losing him when in reality we want him more than most if not all.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
It kinda suuuucks to learn he cleared waivers, yet we played him over Siggy for fear we would lose him on waivers.
It's much easier to clear waivers in early October than it is in April (or any other time of year). A million players are going through waivers right now, and teams are still mostly optimistic intrigued by their own young players, prospects, and off-season acquisitions. Once teams are banged up, have underperforming players, and junior kids have been sent back to their squads, they have a lot more space to make a waiver claim. Thus why such a large portion of players are able to be successfully "snuck through waivers" during the tail end of training camps and the first day or two of the regular season.

Moving Carlson to LD had nothing to do with Djoos. Carlson continued to play LD even after Siegenthaler was reinserted into the line-up.

Reactions: Charles Calvert

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Moving Carlson to LD had nothing to do with Djoos. Carlson continued to play LD even after Siegenthaler was reinserted into the line-up.

Nothing? It was fully about him, and him having to be tethered to Orpik, which forced him to RD. When Siggy finally got dressed, balance was immediately restored. Siggy was 2nd pair LD from his first game.

I know this is the safe time to clear waivers. However, cup grade defensemen do not clear waivers as a general rule no matter the time of year.

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Nothing? It was fully about him, and him having to be tethered to Orpik, which forced him to RD. When Siggy finally got dressed, balance was immediately restored. Siggy was 2nd pair LD from his first game.

I know this is the safe time to clear waivers. However, cup grade defensemen do not clear waivers as a general rule no matter the time of year.

This is false. Siegenthaler played 3RD when he was reinserted into the lineup.

Capitals’ Siegenthaler ready for playoff debut | WTOP

The Narrative: Shufflin’, A Must-Win (?), and Special Teams

And considering Djoos has won a Cup, your rule seems rather flawed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad