Player Discussion What is Djoos' fate?

What happens to Djoos?

• Total voters

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
How many actual NHL GM’s have you spoken to about Bura and Djoos lol?!!
It was literally his rationale for asking for a trade, his representatives knew that other teams would slot him into their top 6 immediately, GMBM literally said he wanted to keep him but that his camp wanted to be guaranteed a top 6 role and asked for a trade. You think they pulled that placement out of thin air and then randomly actually found a team will to give up decent assets and place him in their top 6?

Player representatives are aware of how their clients are viewed in the eyes of professional scouts, it's their job. If Bura did not have several teams that thought he could play top 6 minutes his camp wouldn't have pushed for a trade and GMBM wouldn't have cited it as their motivation.

Also for a guy who has said you've blocked me like several times you somehow keep coming back to the well.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Its seems pointless to have an arb when he just takes the average of the bid and ask.

He should just come to his own conclusion. I guess we should consider ourselves lucky Djoosies camp didnt ask for 2.5.

Monster season leading us to a cup win, puck mover with lots of offensive upside, really looking to break out in 18-19, but wrecked by injury.... yep we want 2.5, He's earned it.

Oh yeah? 2.5? lets see him PK1 and block shots for a month
I think it has the illusion of the arbiter just picking a middle number, but I think there is some science behind it.

Both Wash and Djoos camp didn't randomly arrive at their asking price. Using stats and comparable contracts from around the league both likely presented a case as to why their desired outcome was fair. Assuming neither side completely whiffed on it, then it stands to reason that given two good cases the arb would just go with the middle amount.

From what I've read and heard the process is pretty brutally honest so I would imagine if you entered the negotiations with comically large asking price the arbiter would shut that shit down quick.

I also think we have to remember that the arbiters job is not to consider the context of our salary cap problems. This wouldn't be considered a bad award if the cap had actually gone up that extra 1.5 million like people were thinking. It's only within the context of our cap situation that it looks bad and that's no on the arbiter.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I guess this means one less player on Nacho Duty this season. NHLPA Should be pissed about the lower salary cap now

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
:laugh:

In any other circumstance, a $1.25M Djoos contract would be looked at as a great value. All he did was exercise his arbitration rights.
When you only buy stuff on sale paying MSRP stings

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What is the guys fate that is going to get pay the price for the arb ruling coming over the amount of room we had. Suuuuucks for him.

Reactions: Sam Spade

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
I'd package Djoos with Boyd and ship both out for an ELC forward with decent top 6 potential. Someone who Reirden is comfortable playing in games. Even in playoff games. Even in 3rd periods.

Boyd could rack up solid production playing 2nd line center on a bottom feeder. Djoos desperately needs minutes and a bigger role. Both are very decent players, neither has much future with the Caps.

Best of luck to Stephenson. He better hope somebody in the NHL actually wants his floating, offense-stifling ass on their team. Otherwise, he might arbitrate himself straight to the AHL.

Reactions: um

WanderingCapsFan

Mar 31, 2008
Marana, Arizona, USA
What is the guys fate that is going to get pay the price for the arb ruling coming over the amount of room we had. Suuuuucks for him.

Sucks for him maybe, but he is going to get paid $1.25m either way, and he may be traded to a team that will play him regularly in the NHL (or get claimed on waivers by such a team). Maybe not sucks for him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the Caps find a way to keep Djoos. I am sure I don't know what I am talking about here and someone will point out any fundamental mistake in my thinking.

Siegenthaler is waiver exempt. Yes?
Gudas is the least mobile of the current right defense.
Djoos is the only of the left shooting defense that has proven for a lenthy stretch that he is good at the right side.

The Caps can move Siegenthaler up and down when he is not playing to save cap space. The Caps have already shown a willingness to keep their spare players in Hershey at least when at home. Siegenthaler starts in Hershey and the Caps go with 6 d.

Gudas and Siegenthaler would a weaker pair against speed. Djoos is a better compliment to Gudas skill set. Siegenhaler and Djoos would be complimentary as well.

If the Caps have an injury to any defenseman, right or left, Djoos can plug the hole and that flexibility is needed.

The main flaw I see in this roster strategy is the Caps play 9 October road games which makes going with 6 defensemen more risky.

Also Siegenthaler did play the right in the playoffs with Orpik.

Anyway, this is just my guess. I don't think that the Caps will want to let his left/right flexibility get away while so tight to the cap.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think the Caps find a way to keep Djoos. I am sure I don't know what I am talking about here and someone will point out any fundamental mistake in my thinking.

Siegenthaler is waiver exempt. Yes?
Gudas is the least mobile of the current right defense.
Djoos is the only of the left shooting defense that has proven for a lenthy stretch that he is good at the right side.

The Caps can move Siegenthaler up and down when he is not playing to save cap space. The Caps have already shown a willingness to keep their spare players in Hershey at least when at home. Siegenthaler starts in Hershey and the Caps go with 6 d.

Gudas and Siegenthaler would a weaker pair against speed. Djoos is a better compliment to Gudas skill set. Siegenhaler and Djoos would be complimentary as well.

If the Caps have an injury to any defenseman, right or left, Djoos can plug the hole and that flexibility is needed.

The main flaw I see in this roster strategy is the Caps play 9 October road games which makes going with 6 defensemen more risky.

Also Siegenthaler did play the right in the playoffs with Orpik.

Anyway, this is just my guess. I don't think that the Caps will want to let his left/right flexibility get away while so tight to the cap.

Maybe Gudas is meant to be Niskenens replacement and not Orpik... while Siegenthaler is replacing Orpik.

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Gudas
Siegenthaler-Jensen

Orlov should be able to make up for Gudas lack of mobility, and Jensen for Siegenthalers lack of puck moving.

But I agree that Djoos is a very convient piece to have on our back end... I really hope we don't give him away for draft picks.

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd package Djoos with Boyd and ship both out for an ELC forward with decent top 6 potential. Someone who Reirden is comfortable playing in games. Even in playoff games. Even in 3rd periods.

Boyd could rack up solid production playing 2nd line center on a bottom feeder. Djoos desperately needs minutes and a bigger role. Both are very decent players, neither has much future with the Caps.

Best of luck to Stephenson. He better hope somebody in the NHL actually wants his floating, offense-stifling ass on their team. Otherwise, he might arbitrate himself straight to the AHL.

I don't know if any team would really want Boyd that much, but trading Djoos for a Stephenson replacement is a good idea.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Maybe Gudas is meant to be Niskenens replacement and not Orpik... while Siegenthaler is replacing Orpik.

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Gudas
Siegenthaler-Jensen

Orlov should be able to make up for Gudas lack of mobility, and Jensen for Siegenthalers lack of puck moving.

But I agree that Djoos is a very convient piece to have on our back end... I really hope we don't give him away for draft picks.

I think what we will see is
Kempny Carlson
Orlov Jensen
Djoos/Siegenthaler-Gudas.

I think they got and resigned Jensen as a long term piece and Gudas as a short term piece. I will be disappointed in Jensen isn't up to those duties. He is much more mobile yet defense first. The question I have is whether Orlov is able to handle being lead dog on that pair.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I think what we will see is
Kempny Carlson
Orlov Jensen
Djoos/Siegenthaler-Gudas.

I think they got and resigned Jensen as a long term piece and Gudas as a short term piece. I will be disappointed in Jensen isn't up to those duties. He is much more mobile yet defense first. The question I have is whether Orlov is able to handle being lead dog on that pair.

Without Niskanen that second pairing could have a very different role. As you said Orlov might not be able to carry the load as the 1B defensemen like Niskanen did, especially without a defensive minded partner like Niskanen was.

I'd prefer a more balanced defense as Orlov-Jensen really isn't ideal for me. Maybe split ice time like this:

Kempny-Carlson (22:00 a game)
Orlov-Gudas (19:30 a game)
Djoos/Siegenthaler-Jensen (18:30 a game)

Jensen would still have a lot of responsibility and we can rely on our third pairing to also produce offense.

Of course we'll find out what works during the season.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice

Kempny-Carlson
Orlov-Gudas
Siegenthaler-Jensen

I see something like this at the trade deadline:

Orlov - Gudas (shutdown pair, top 5v5 minutes)
Alexeyev/Fehervary/Seige - Carlson (John boosting another D to an NHL role)
Kempny - Jensen (solid 3rd pair)

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I see something like this at the trade deadline:

Orlov - Gudas (shutdown pair, top 5v5 minutes)
Alexeyev/Fehervary/Seige - Carlson (John boosting another D to an NHL role)
Kempny - Jensen (solid 3rd pair)

Not sure if Gudas is ready for a top pairing role (literally I'm not sure, he's new). But it would be great if one of young Defensemen was ready for a top 4 role come playoff time... Kempny's injury may help with that.

That could also be our strongest 3rd pairing in years as well.

Last edited:

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Kempny-Carlson was our only consistently effective pairing last year, and aside from too many penalties and an untimely injury, Kempny did nothing but improve. Why are people always so eager to bump him for a prospect with limited or no NHL experience?

Reactions: Lobodomy

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Caps can field a 22-man roster with Vanecek instead of Copley and be cap compliant with Djoos on the roster. No need for a trade. Stephenson would be in Hershey (or perhaps Boyd if Stephenson comes in cheaper than Boyd).

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad