Speculation: What happens with Strome?

What do you think happens with Dylan Strome?

• Total voters

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
So you're claiming that playing wing requires more mobility and explosiveness than playing center? Do you even hockey?
Strome doesn't work on the wing because he's slow and doesn't have enough space to do his thing there. It neuters his offensive creativity. He's not wrong about Strome being worse on the wing than at C, but Strome's issues at C are not at all in the offensive zone, they're that he's completely useless in his own zone. He lacks the agility and acceleration to use his frame without getting caught out of position, and he cannot change directions quickly enough to cover a cycle.

Reactions: Hinterland

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Strome doesn't work on the wing because he's slow and doesn't have enough space to do his thing there. It neuters his offensive creativity. He's not wrong about Strome being worse on the wing than at C, but Strome's issues at C are not at all in the offensive zone, they're that he's completely useless in his own zone. He lacks the agility and acceleration to use his frame without getting caught out of position, and he cannot change directions quickly enough otherwise.

He doesn't work on the wing because he's soft and unwilling to engage in and win board battles. Lack of space hasn't hindered Kane at all on the wing... I mean, they tried Kane at center and it was a disaster. Playing wing is MUCH easier than playing center, and allows way more room for offensive opportunity, especially on the rush(assuming you're not a slug). The weak side wing is almost always flying the zone in the current NHL. Once inside the offensive zone, position means nothing. I don't buy this argument at all. He sucks as a winger because he's too slow to be a threat off the rush, and too soft to be an effective winger....

Honestly, I'd prefer if they just get rid of him. I was hopeful that they could improve his speed/agility, but he's a lost cause. Some guys just don't have the right physiology to be good skaters, or fast, or strong. Strome falls into that category.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
He doesn't work on the wing because he's soft and unwilling to engage in and win board battles. Lack of space hasn't hindered Kane at all on the wing... I mean, they tried Kane at center and it was a disaster. Playing wing is MUCH easier than playing center, and allows way more room for offensive opportunity, especially on the rush(assuming you're not a slug). The weak side wing is almost always flying the zone in the current NHL. Once inside the offensive zone, position means nothing. I don't buy this argument at all. He sucks as a winger because he's too slow to be a threat off the rush, and too soft to be an effective winger....

Honestly, I'd prefer if they just get rid of him. I was hopeful that they could improve his speed/agility, but he's a lost cause. Some guys just don't have the right physiology to be good skaters, or fast, or strong. Strome falls into that category.
Yeah, that too.
The problem is that Strome is a slug as a skater, and I think a lot of his issues with being "soft" come from being afraid to get caught out of position because of his lack of acceleration and agility.

At this point, I'd prefer they get rid of him too....but before they trade him they should maximize their return by putting him with Kane and Cat and letting them do their thing. If they bleed goals, so be it....they're rebuilding anyway, and Toews and Dach can play the tough defensive matchups anyway. Just let those guys bumslay and put up gobs of points.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Yeah, that too.
The problem is that Strome is a slug as a skater, and I think a lot of his issues with being "soft" come from being afraid to get caught out of position because of his lack of acceleration and agility.

At this point, I'd prefer they get rid of him too....but before they trade him they should maximize their return by putting him with Kane and Cat and letting them do their thing. If they bleed goals, so be it....they're rebuilding anyway, and Toews and Dach can play the tough defensive matchups anyway. Just let those guys bumslay and put up gobs of points.

I don't know. He gets routinely worked when he does engage in the corners. He's not strong on his skates and has a poor center of gravity. I've never met him, but based on pictures/video, and his major issues, he sure seems to lack lower body strength, and mass.

The league knows what Dylan Strome is, at this point. The only way his value goes up, is if a team thinks they can "fix" him, like the Hawks tried to do. He will produce playing with good players, but at the expense of bleeding goals.

He runs counter to everything the Hawks are trying to do as a team, so I'd prefer they move on sooner, rather than later.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I don't know. He gets routinely worked when he does engage in the corners. He's not strong on his skates and has a poor center of gravity. I've never met him, but based on pictures/video, and his major issues, he sure seems to lack lower body strength, and mass.

The league knows what Dylan Strome is, at this point. The only way his value goes up, is if a team thinks they can "fix" him, like the Hawks tried to do. He will produce playing with good players, but at the expense of bleeding goals.

He runs counter to everything the Hawks are trying to do as a team, so I'd prefer they move on sooner, rather than later.

Based on the media blitz from Colliton and Bowman, I’d agree that he doesn’t fit what they want. Seems like they want a lineup of hard-working two-way guys, plus Kane.

I think DeBrincat has the motivation and work ethic/mentality to mold himself into that role — Kubalik as well.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

I have no arguments here, and I've been advocating eliminating the defensibly irresponsible forwards from your team.

I look at a team like Minnesota who's best centers in the organization are 19 years old and not ready for the NHL and can't help but think there's a deal to be had there. The biggest thing is that I struggle to put a value on a 55-65 point center that brings nothing but offense to the table.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Strome doesn't work on the wing because he's slow and doesn't have enough space to do his thing there. It neuters his offensive creativity. He's not wrong about Strome being worse on the wing than at C, but Strome's issues at C are not at all in the offensive zone, they're that he's completely useless in his own zone. He lacks the agility and acceleration to use his frame without getting caught out of position, and he cannot change directions quickly enough to cover a cycle.

I agree with this but calling Strome "useless" in the defensive zone is a bit too much:)

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
My take:

1. Great vision and passing ability, decent shot too when he uses it.
2. He really improved on faceoffs after coming back from the ankle injury last season. Definitely an area he needed to address and I hope he continues working on it.
3. Too easy to play against. For a guy his size he should be using it more to his advantage.
4. The next season (whenever that comes) is likely make-or-break time. He'll no longer be the young kid just breaking into the NHL. It's time to put those tools to use and establish himself.
5. If he doesn't take the 2c spot away from Dach/Toews, he needs to be traded. Strome is not suited for a 3c role. He needs a lot of ice time.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Based on the media blitz from Colliton and Bowman, I’d agree that he doesn’t fit what they want. Seems like they want a lineup of hard-working two-way guys, plus Kane.

I think DeBrincat has the motivation and work ethic/mentality to mold himself into that role — Kubalik as well.

Yeah, I think with the emergence of Dach, the writing is on the wall for Strome. You are correct that Strome wasn't mentioned in the media blitz while Debrincat was praised for improving his overall game despite hitting a scoring slump while Kubalik was praised for improving through the season.

I think the playoffs sealed the deal on Strome and Alex Nylander too unless Nylander is a changed player. I mean, I don't think the Hawks are in any rush to move either player, but I can see one of the two being part of a deal with Seattle. Nylander better watch out for Brandon Hagel, that kid is coming for his spot. He's doing great in the Swiss leagues and plus there's Pius Suter. If those two are going to slot in, it's going to be at the expense of Nylander unless Nylander's game makes a leap. It gets even more crowded with the return of Shaw.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah, I think with the emergence of Dach, the writing is on the wall for Strome. You are correct that Strome wasn't mentioned in the media blitz while Debrincat was praised for improving his overall game despite hitting a scoring slump while Kubalik was praised for improving through the season.

I think the playoffs sealed the deal on Strome and Alex Nylander too unless Nylander is a changed player. I mean, I don't think the Hawks are in any rush to move either player, but I can see one of the two being part of a deal with Seattle. Nylander better watch out for Brandon Hagel, that kid is coming for his spot. He's doing great in the Swiss leagues and plus there's Pius Suter. If those two are going to slot in, it's going to be at the expense of Nylander unless Nylander's game makes a leap. It gets even more crowded with the return of Shaw.

Do you think Hagel beats Nylander for a spot outright in training camp?

jls24

Apr 30, 2013
I think we'll have the depth to ice a very effective shutdown 4th line. This coupled with a Toews line that should control possession as well as a Dach-Kane line that could also drive possession depending on the third wheel, we will be fine to have Strome as an offensive "3rd" line center.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Correct me if I'm wrong but with Kurashev and Hagel pushing for spots as well as Janmark, Wallmark and Suter joining the team that's, together with the regulars of last season, 17 forwards if Strome returns and if both Smith and Shaw are healthy. The only way Nylander could possibly stick around is if Strome gets traded and Shaw and Smith are both out. At this point, Kurashev and Hagel are ahead of Nylander already. And they're playing now and Nylander isn't. It's not a given that Suter's game will translate to the NHL but you'd like to think that they're gonna start their euro signing in the NHL if he's not horrible in camp. But whatever happens, something has to give. Too many bodies in the mix.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
You draft Bowen Byram 3rd overall if you're completely sold on Strome. The fact they took Dach when they knew that Toews probably has 3-5 more years as a top 6 center as of this moment tells you all you need to know about what the Hawks think of Strome.

Strome is still better than Schmaltz in every aspect of hockey except skating and defense. Unfortunately, overall, Schmaltz is the better player, but Schmaltz was traded because the Hawks couldn't afford him.

Last edited:

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

I mean they've gotten a long look at Nylander and if he doesn't show anything different, they're going to want a good look at Hagel who seems NHL ready. Like I think Hagel is not a top 6 player off the bat, but if Nylander can't cut it in the top 6 and they slot someone else in there, he's is facing a lot of competition for bottom six roles from guys who compete really hard and play a two-way game. So the locks for the top 6 in my opinion are Toews, Kane, Kubalik, Debrincat and Dach. Who is going to play with them? Suter? Nylander? Shaw? Maybe Kurashev will kill it at camp. He was looking really good in pre-bubble training camp.

If Nylander could take that next step he'd be a great fit on the second line. Maybe the competition will light a fire under him or something will click. He is more skilled than most of the other options so if he could increase his production and have less mental lapses, then he certainly has the skill. But we will see.

There are a lot of guys Colliton's gonna want a look at and if Nylander is not making strides, they'll move on. Honestly, this whole season for the Hawks is going to be a prolonged training camp essentially where they're going to experiment with different players and combos and try to lay the foundation for the following year.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
You draft Bowen Byram 3rd overall if you're completely sold on Strome. The fact they took Dach when they knew that Toews probably has 3-5 more years as a top 6 center tells you all you need to know about what the Hawks think of him.

Strome is still better than Schmaltz in every aspect of hockey except skating and defense. Unfortunately, overall, Schmaltz is the better player, but Schmaltz was traded because the Hawks couldn't afford him.

At third overall, you're taking the BPA and if you're not, you shouldn't be scouting for an NHL team. If they thought Byram was the BPA, they'd have taken him. It's not like the left side of our defense looks amazing going forward either, especially at the time.

As for Schmaltz, I'd imagine he was traded because he was almost a third of the way through his third NHL season and was still looking like a guy that didn't want to compete in the harder areas of the ice. He's a silky player but at the time of the trade, he wasn't doing himself any favours on his next deal. Two goals and 11 points in 23 games, playing soft hockey. The contract he got in Arizona is not one he would have gotten here, or many other places I'd imagine. It's hard to say who I'd prefer to have between the two. Given that we have Dach, I think I'd rather have Schmaltz but I'd put him on Toews' wing.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I’d agree the writing is on the wall. Just look at the forward depth. If Shaw is back to play, we’ve got 13 forwards who have played at least an NHL season not including Strome. Plus a few guys like Suter and Hagel who are gonna push for spots.

I just don’t see Strome as part of this team anymore, or we wouldn’t have signed the guys we did.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I’d agree the writing is on the wall. Just look at the forward depth. If Shaw is back to play, we’ve got 13 forwards who have played at least an NHL season not including Strome. Plus a few guys like Suter and Hagel who are gonna push for spots.

I just don’t see Strome as part of this team anymore, or we wouldn’t have signed the guys we did.

A week ago, I would’ve put money on him being on the team rather than not. After hearing the way Eaton totally ignored a direct question about what’s next for him (but directly answered the same question about Nylander), my money is now on him not being part of the team.

Reactions: Brightwing

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
You don’t get rid of strome in order to worry about janmark or Shaw’s place in the lineup.
This organization has given away talent before, now is not the time to do that.

Reactions: Pertti and RayP

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You don’t get rid of strome in order to worry about janmark or Shaw’s place in the lineup.
This organization has given away talent before, now is not the time to do that.

I don’t think it’s because of Shaw or Janmark, I think it’s solely because of their view of Strome.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Would be a mistake to unload him now.

Depends what the return is and how long you expect Toews to play for you and whether you project Dach as 1 or 2C. Strome is 22. He still has some room to grow, but not a ton of room. He needs to play 2C and if you don't have a spot for him on 2C you move on.

There is also the expansion draft and the salary cap which are going to lead to a lot of shuffling.

Now, the scenario where you keep him is you project Dach as your 1C and you don't resign Toews when his contract is up. I kinda suspect resigning Toews is gonna be tough because the Hawks would probably want him resigned making like 3 or 4 million less than he does. At that point you are going to have young players looking for a raise.

I could see teams close to cup contention paying Toews more in the short term. I really think of Toews/Kane, Kane is the one who will stay and my prediction is that the next captain of the Blackhawks is not Dach or Ian Mitchell or Debrincat, it's Patrick Kane.

However, that scenario is far enough out that you have plenty of time to come up with a 2C option before then and still move Strome. You are going to deal some of the upcoming young D and it could be for forward depth.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad