Speculation: What happens with Strome?

What do you think happens with Dylan Strome?

• Total voters

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
How did DeBrincat disappear in the playoffs? He was tied for 4th on the team in playoff scoring, with Dach. He was second on the team in shots, averaging 3 per game. He finished 2 points behind Kubalik, who after scoring 5 points in the opening game went on to score 3 points over the next 8 games.

Plus DeBrincat was getting to proper spots and getting chances. If a few more converted, this narrative wouldn’t exist.

He showed a hell of a lot more than Strome did in the playoffs, imo.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Strome showed up too. Both he and Cat showed up.

I hope Cat was just super unlucky this past season but we'll see.

Not unlucky, DeBrincat's confidence was down. Considering the quality ice time he got, he wasn't particularly good.

Wasn't Strome mostly with Caggiula, who's obviously a plug, and Nylander who really ruined the line with his giveaways, slow decisions and by floating around instead of back- or forechecking.

I don't blame Strome for that 3rd line. That's on Colliton because he didn't want to change his other lines and waited until last moment to finally sit Nylander just to replace him with a career AHLer instead of somebody with actual upside like Hagel or Kurashev.

Strome and DeBrincat together combined for a few nice plays but wasn't much better due to a lack of chemistry. Not Strome's fault either. I honestly think Strome was pretty fair overall.

Last edited:

Crow

May 19, 2014
I remember Strome with cat a lot, setting him up nicely for cat to miss shots, uncharacteristically.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
it’s not a coincidence Strome and DeBrincat both had downseasons being apart from eachother for that long. The tandem should have never been broken up and its ridiculous it took until game 4 or 5 against Vegas to put them back together after watching them struggle an entire season

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
it’s not a coincidence Strome and DeBrincat both had downseasons being apart from eachother for that long. The tandem should have never been broken up and its ridiculous it took until game 4 or 5 against Vegas to put them back together after watching them struggle an entire season
They were broken up because when they're on the same line they're a massive defensive liability.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
They were broken up because when they're on the same line they're a massive defensive liability.

Cant the same be said almost regardless of Strome’s linemates? May as well put him in a position to produce offense than burying and trying to hide him

Let the DeBrincat-Strome-Kane line be a sheltered third line with Toews and Dach lines being two-way lines above.

Double shift DeBrincat and Kane late in games to ensure they get their ice time.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I agree but main reason is that they're too different. Completely different playing styles.

Why do you keep implying Strome is possession player? Is it just because he’s slow and you’re assuming he should play that style?

Not criticizing here, actually curious what leads you to that conclusion.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why do you keep implying Strome is possession player? Is it just because he’s slow and you’re assuming he should play that style?

Not criticizing here, actually curious what leads you to that conclusion.

https://thehockeywriters.com/dylan-... has an outstanding wrist,in front of the net.

Has always been his game. Heavy, possession based style. He's strong on the cycle, can get himself into position to finish, too. He's not just a good passer but also a playmaker. He's not gonna beat defenders with speed though and that's pretty much the way the Blackhawks are playing now. Their system isn't based on possession. Certain players still like to slow things down and hold onto the puck for longer like Kane for example. DeBrincat isn't one of them.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
https://thehockeywriters.com/dylan-strome-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/#:~:text=Strome has an outstanding wrist,in front of the net.

Has always been his game. Heavy, possession based style. He's strong on the cycle, can get himself into position to finish, too. He's not just a good passer but also a playmaker. He's not gonna beat defenders with speed though and that's pretty much the way the Blackhawks are playing now. Their system isn't based on possession. Certain players still like to slow things down and hold onto the puck for longer like Kane for example. DeBrincat isn't one of them.

If he’s a heavy possession style, shouldn’t he also logically fit on a Toews line — if he could play wing?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
https://thehockeywriters.com/dylan-strome-the-next-ones-nhl-2015-draft-prospect-profile/#:~:text=Strome has an outstanding wrist,in front of the net.

Except Strome has never been that in Chicago. He is not a possession driver here. He must have a player on his line that drives possession. BTW your reference also says he has good top speed which anyone who has seen Strome in Chicago knows is not true.

Strome has playmaking and scoring ability but he doesn’t play a north-south game well. This is the main reason he didn’t play well with DC and Nylander (not the reason you gave which is just blind hate that EVERYONE here sees). He doesn’t keep up with that game.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Except Strome has never been that in Chicago. He is not a possession driver here. He must have a player on his line that drives possession. BTW your reference also says he has good top speed which anyone who has seen Strome in Chicago knows is not true.

Strome has playmaking and scoring ability but he doesn’t play a north-south game well. This is the main reason he didn’t play well with DC and Nylander (not the reason you gave which is just blind hate that EVERYONE here sees). He doesn’t keep up with that game.

Strome is a good two way Center. Caggiula is a plug and Nylander was by far the worst player in both bubbles last playoffs. Even MacKinnon would have found it hard to shine next to those two. Even Highmore and Carpenter would have been way more helpful for Strome than Nylander and Caggiula.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Strome is a good two way Center. Caggiula is a plug and Nylander was by far the worst player in both bubbles last playoffs. Even MacKinnon would have found it hard to shine next to those two. Even Highmore and Carpenter would have been way more helpful for Strome than Nylander and Caggiula.

Did you actually just claim Strome is a good two way center?

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

He is not at the NHL. He doesn't have the heaviness in his game to make up for a lack of speed. How often do you say oh, look at Strome winning that board battle, hounding the puck the way Toews does? It anything he gets outmuscled and trapped in his own zone.

He has great hockey sense but he needs to add either strength or speed to his game. 19-year-old Kirby Dach was stronger on the puck and a better two way player in the playoffs. And Dach is going to be even stronger at 22.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He is not at the NHL. He doesn't have the heaviness in his game to make up for a lack of speed. How often do you say oh, look at Strome winning that board battle, hounding the puck the way Toews does? It anything he gets outmuscled and trapped in his own zone.

He has great hockey sense but he needs to add either strength or speed to his game. 19-year-old Kirby Dach was stronger on the puck and a better two way player in the playoffs. And Dach is going to be even stronger at 22.

I don't know if Dach is stronger on the puck...they're both not bad in that regard. I agree with you that board battles aren't necessarily Strome's best quality but I never said that. All I'm trying to say is that the fast style with quick transition the Blackhawks are playing isn't really ideal for Strome. DeBrincat is the ideal player for such a system which is why you don't necessarily want to play those two together. Strome's isn't even that slow, he's just not very explosive or mobile compared to most other Blackhawks players.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hinterland not watching the Blackhawks...CONFIRMED.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hinterland not watching the Blackhawks...CONFIRMED.
Holy shit......how the f*** could anyone watch Strome and think he's anything but a defensive black hole? Strome is pure offense and brings nothing to the table if not on the scoresheet. LMAO.
60 point centers don't grow on trees, and that's what I think Strome is if given top 6 and PP minutes....but those are about as empty of a 60 points as you can get in the NHL.

Reactions: Pez68

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad