Speculation: What happens with Strome?

What do you think happens with Dylan Strome?

• Total voters

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Mainly meant that his situation appears to be heading in same direction as Perlini last summer where he ultimately accepts his QO to play and hes on the trade block and likely shipped out before he gets another contract...Maybe there is some reason like LTIR money or something but if he was part of their long term plans have to imagine he would've been inked when Kubalik extended...
Musto's gonna hate you...

But I agree. Bowman may be waiting for the season to start and for teams, including our own, to analyze their roster and if a team needs to acquire a 2C, then he'll explore that avenue.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

But I agree. Bowman may be waiting for the season to start and for teams, including our own, to analyze their roster and if a team needs to acquire a 2C, then he'll explore that avenue.

and that may be the in the best interest of the club, IMO, the Wallmark signing and the youngsters like Kurashev, entshistle, barrett and wise etc make this a viable option instead of signing him to a deal and regretting it

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

I think back to comment Crawford made where he basically said he expected Stan to be open to negotiations more, they made one offer to CC, he said no and Bowman basically said okay and moved on...Potentially that is the scenario here except Strome is an RFA so he cannot sign elsewhere unless he gets an OS...At this rate he takes what they've offered him (if still on the table) , signs his QO or is traded by next month...Also have to imagine if there was a good market for him he might've been gone already...

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The holdup here is all in Strome. He's had the offer. I recall it said he was stated they offered like mid 2 mil offer for the 1 year so more than even the plain QO.

But then it was said Strome wanted a two year deal? I think if he takes just 1 year he still won't be able to apply for arbitration next year(not sure if that is true or not) but I guess Strome is holding out for a hopeful multi year offer instead.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
The holdup here is all in Strome. He's had the offer. I recall it said he was stated they offered like mid 2 mil offer for the 1 year so more than even the plain QO.

But then it was said Strome wanted a two year deal? I think if he takes just 1 year he still won't be able to apply for arbitration next year(not sure if that is true or not) but I guess Strome is holding out for a hopeful multi year offer instead.

Think it’s the other way around. He wants one year the hawks offered two.
He’s arbitration eligible next year

Reactions: ClydeLee

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Think it’s the other way around. He wants one year the hawks offered two.
He’s arbitration eligible next year
Well they offered him 1 year as well in that case. Take the 890K deal then. But 2 years he would still be a RFA right?

I'm a bit surprised I didn't realize there still still some big name RFAs unsigned like Barzal or Dunn. I knew Tampa had the couple. But there's so little reason for the teams to offer more than they already did for several of these guys unless they hold out.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Well they offered him 1 year as well in that case. Take the 890K deal then. But 2 years he would still be a RFA right?

I'm a bit surprised I didn't realize there still still some big name RFAs unsigned like Barzal or Dunn. I knew Tampa had the couple. But there's so little reason for the teams to offer more than they already did for several of these guys unless they hold out.

Yes 4 more years until he becomes unrestricted

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
and that may be the in the best interest of the club, IMO, the Wallmark signing and the youngsters like Kurashev, entshistle, barrett and wise etc make this a viable option instead of signing him to a deal and regretting it

Wallmark isn’t anything special nor is Wise at this point.

Barratt and Kurashev peak as 3rd liners. You don’t trade a 2C because you have guys who may become 3rd liners in the wings.

Only sets up a massive hole 2 years from now when Toews is 35 and no longer a good C with no one to replace him

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Barratt and Kurashev peak as 3rd liners. You don’t trade a 2C because you have guys who may become 3rd liners in the wings.

Only sets up a massive hole 2 years from now when Toews is 35 and no longer a good C with no one to replace him

not sure that will be the case for Kurashev, he may be a 2C

That hole is not so massive when the 2C is such a liability in our end of the ice and skates that he is carrying a 200 pound weight on his back...

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005

At this point Strome is also a question mark as a 2c. Hawks have all the leverage here so they don’t need to make a panic decision.

He’ll sign something eventually and I hope he comes in with a chip on his shoulder and shows he’ll do what it takes to improve on his weaknesses. If he continues to show no improvement then they move on. At least the test will not be expensive and fit into the teams long term plans.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What is going on here? How much could Strome actually be asking for?
Presumably as others and some rumors brought up he would want a 1 year deal to then be arbitration eligible.

When Kubalik was rumored to be getting a mid 3 mil offer it was said Strome was offered mid 2 million. But probably for 2 years and not 1 year.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Keep holding out. I don’t agree with those who said Strome has more leverage with the lack of centers now. I honestly think he has less leverage. This is a throw away year for the hawks with no fans in attendance and already look like a huge long shot for the playoffs. Strome hasn’t earned a big pay check yet and he’s gonna come in to camp with his name on the 1c/1pp role in pen. If there’s ever a year where strome is gonna build his value up, it’s this year. He needs to be there for day 1 of camp for his own good if he wants a big pay day next time his contract comes up.

strome needs the hawks more than the hawks need strome this year.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Keep holding out. I don’t agree with those who said Strome has more leverage with the lack of centers now. I honestly think he has less leverage. This is a throw away year for the hawks with no fans in attendance and already look like a huge long shot for the playoffs. Strome hasn’t earned a big pay check yet and he’s gonna come in to camp with his name on the 1c/1pp role in pen. If there’s ever a year where strome is gonna build his value up, it’s this year. He needs to be there for day 1 of camp for his own good if he wants a big pay day next time his contract comes up.

Camp starts Sunday, right?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Very short sighted of him to be quibbling over a few extra bucks right now versus taking the golden opportunity that’s being presented to him. Take the QO and prove yourself.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Very short sighted of him to be quibbling over a few extra bucks right now versus taking the golden opportunity that’s being presented to him. Take the QO and prove yourself.

I think the opposite is the case. Pay the man and worry about the rest later. It's in the Blackhawks interest to have him play 1C. His value will only go up but it won't go up if he's not playing. So whether you wanna trade him or not...pay him now. You can easily trade him anyway, even with a few bucks more on his contract. No problem at all. If he wants a one year deal, give it to him as well. Doesn't really matter in the long run.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019

I don't judge a player for holding out. It's their career and livelihood and it's such a short window. The reality is a career can end at any second so he has to get the most he can. Few players come out ahead giving team friendly discounts.

Reactions: d rake

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I think the opposite is the case. Pay the man and worry about the rest later. It's in the Blackhawks interest to have him play 1C. His value will only go up but it won't go up if he's not playing. So whether you wanna trade him or not...pay him now. You can easily trade him anyway, even with a few bucks more on his contract. No problem at all. If he wants a one year deal, give it to him as well. Doesn't really matter in the long run.
Except that is what does entirely matter in the long run. If you pay him more on a 1 year deal and he lights it up then he has a great case for what his next deal will be.

your view only makes sense given the cavate you want to trade him. You should still consider there a reason to want to keep him and have him preform well. You want that scenario to work out best so there's no reason to act like, oh you'll just trade him anyway so pay him. That's stupid reasoning.

Reactions: Pertti

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Except that is what does entirely matter in the long run. If you pay him more on a 1 year deal and he lights it up then he has a great case for what his next deal will be.

your view only makes sense given the cavate you want to trade him. You should still consider there a reason to want to keep him and have him preform well. You want that scenario to work out best so there's no reason to act like, oh you'll just trade him anyway so pay him. That's stupid reasoning.

Especially when:

1. The cap is staying flat and teams are going to remain very selective with how they use their cap space.

2. He can pretty much be had by any team right now and it would only cost said team a 2nd round pick. Nobody has bitten.

Reactions: Pertti

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
The Toews news gives Strome and agent a bit more leverage IMO but Stan needs to stay the course and not give in too much.

I would imagine a deal is done by the weekend

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I'd just worry about it later. Now isn't the time for hard feelings or to miss games because of contract length or a few dollars. It makes sense to have him play right now. You can still negotiate again when his next deal expires. If he still decides to use arbitration and gets a deal the Blackhawks don't like, then so be it. They can easily trade him. If he wants to be a Blackhawk, they'll still find a way to make it work for both sides.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad