Speculation: What happens with Strome?

What do you think happens with Dylan Strome?

• Total voters

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Wonder if Stan is giving Strome the Crawford treatment where he put an offer out at the start of offseason, Strome declined and Stan stopped negotiating and will basically force Strome into same position Perlini is in..The fact that Kubalik was inked to a multi year deal no problem and Strome still has no contract shows how the org feels about him being in the mix long term, at least at this point in time...Best guess for me is he gets 1 year deal at some cheap AAV and is probably traded at some point like Perlini...not for the package Perlini got because Strome is a top 9 center and Perlini is a 13F but it feels like the same situation is unfolding...
The major difference is Kubalik was arbitration eligible. That had to get settled fast.

There's no reason for the Hawks to up in their offer to Strome. There's not likely some team willing to offer him something they wouldn't accept him for.

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
What do you think of a 6 yr escalating deal? $21 million over 6 yrs for avg of $3.5 million per
2020-21 $1 mill
2021-22 $2 mill
2022-23 $3 mill
2023-24 $4 mill
2024-25 $5 mill
2025-26 $6 mill

$21 million is $21 million, quite a commitment on the Hawks part

Strome would be 29 in 2026, still plenty of time to get the big coin

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
What do you think of a 6 yr escalating deal? $21 million over 6 yrs for avg of $3.5 million per
2020-21 $1 mill
2021-22 $2 mill
2022-23 $3 mill
2023-24 $4 mill
2024-25 $5 mill
2025-26 $6 mill

If I were Strome I wouldn't sign that. Bridge first, money then.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah there is no chance Strome signs that contract. Strome probably thinks he's worth at least 6M per year right now. Why would he sign a deal that doesn't pay him 6M until the 6th and final year of the deal, that also buys UFA years?

A 2-year bridge, with 2.5M next year and 5M the year after would be good for both sides I think. Would require Strome to be qualified at 5M at the end of the deal and if a team doesn't qualify him at that, he would be a UFA. Gives him some potential security and/or options.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
2020-21 $1 mill
2021-22 $2 mill
2022-23 $3 mill
2023-24 $4 mill
2024-25 $5 mill
2025-26 $6 mill

I believe that's an illegal contract.
If I'm reading the CBA right, Any given year's salary cannot be less than 50% of the deal's max salary. Ergo, if his final year is 6M his cheapest year cannot be less than 3M.

67hawks

Dec 20, 2019
I am okay with resigning Strome as long as the numbers are nowhere close to what Schmaltz is getting. That is the only way to justify that trade in my mind.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I believe that's an illegal contract.
If I'm reading the CBA right, Any given year's salary cannot be less than 50% of the deal's max salary. Ergo, if his final year is 6M his cheapest year cannot be less than 3M.

Was reading up on that an apparently it only has to do with front-loaded contracts. For any contract that is not considered front-loaded, the contract can not increase in salary beyond an increment of the lower of the first two years salary in the contract.

So in that proposed contract, the lower of the two salaries in the first two years is 1M. Since the contract increases only in increments of 1M year-over-year, it is a legal contract.

If he were to sign a deal like I outlined, with 2.5M and 5M, then any additional year beyond the second would only be eligible for a maximum increase of 2.5M per year.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
2020-21 $1 mill
2021-22 $2 mill
2022-23 $3 mill
2023-24 $4 mill
2024-25 $5 mill
2025-26 $6 mill

I very much doubt he would do this. From the hawks it would be a no brainer.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Yeah there is no chance Strome signs that contract. Strome probably thinks he's worth at least 6M per year right now. Why would he sign a deal that doesn't pay him 6M until the 6th and final year of the deal, that also buys UFA years?

A 2-year bridge, with 2.5M next year and 5M the year after would be good for both sides I think. Would require Strome to be qualified at 5M at the end of the deal and if a team doesn't qualify him at that, he would be a UFA. Gives him some potential security and/or options.
No way Strome gets any contract near 6m, or a bridge with anything near 5m at the end. I hope Stan is firm on a bridge in the 2.5m range. He hasn’t shown enough for a long term contract and still needs to improve on a number of aspects of the game. Make him work to get that contract.

Stan has to stop ‘projecting’ what players could be and make them earn their next contract.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
No way Strome gets any contract near 6m, or a bridge with anything near 5m at the end. I hope Stan is firm on a bridge in the 2.5m range. He hasn’t shown enough for a long term contract and still needs to improve on a number of aspects of the game. Make him work to get that contract.

Stan has to stop ‘projecting’ what players could be and make them earn their next contract.

A deal that pays him 2.5M in year one and 5M in year two would carry an AAV of 3.75M. There is not an argument to be made that Strome shouldn't be paid *at least* that. I personally don't care for him as a player, but the production is what matters. With 89 points in 116 games since joining the Hawks, you're not going to get away with paying him any less. You look at what Schmaltz got in Arizona, what DeBrincat got last year -- those are the comparables Strome's camp will use and they're not unreasonable comparables. The Hawks are fortunate that this pandemic hit as it pertains to Strome, bc he'll have to accept less due to the economic landscape of the NHL as it stands. That will buy them more time to see if he can be more than he's been with the Hawks over the past 2 seasons, without having to commit a lot of term or dollars.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006

Stan did you read that? If so live it!

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
A deal that pays him 2.5M in year one and 5M in year two would carry an AAV of 3.75M. There is not an argument to be made that Strome shouldn't be paid *at least* that. I personally don't care for him as a player, but the production is what matters. With 89 points in 116 games since joining the Hawks, you're not going to get away with paying him any less. You look at what Schmaltz got in Arizona, what DeBrincat got last year -- those are the comparables Strome's camp will use and they're not unreasonable comparables. The Hawks are fortunate that this pandemic hit as it pertains to Strome, bc he'll have to accept less due to the economic landscape of the NHL as it stands. That will buy them more time to see if he can be more than he's been with the Hawks over the past 2 seasons, without having to commit a lot of term or dollars.

Just because Stan made a mistake with cat’s contract, it doesn’t mean he needs to repeat it. For every bad contract like cat’s there are more reasonable contracts to offset.

Strome’s production to date (in my opinion) is predominantly off other players that drive production. Until he shows he is a player that drives production then he isn’t more than a complimentary player. In today’s cap world, complimentary players should not be paid 6m/yr. If Strome doesn’t like it than sign a bridge deal, earn the next contract and force Stan to pay. At some point players have to have confidence in themselves to earn the money they think they deserve.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Just because Stan made a mistake with cat’s contract, it doesn’t mean he needs to repeat it. For every bad contract like cat’s there are more reasonable contracts to offset.

Strome’s production to date (in my opinion) is predominantly off other players that drive production. Until he shows he is a player that drives production then he isn’t more than a complimentary player. In today’s cap world, complimentary players should not be paid 6m/yr. If Strome doesn’t like it than sign a bridge deal, earn the next contract and force Stan to pay. At some point players have to have confidence in themselves to earn the money they think they deserve.

DeBrincat had a down year, but it’s far too soon to say it’s a bad contract.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
He better stay.

If he leaves, i'm afraid Brinksy leaves with him
and that would be disastrous.

That would throw Hawks back to dark age for a decade and +

He's an RFA. The only place he can go is Europe or his living room if they can't come to an agreement. Like in a Puljujarvi or William Nylander situation and I don't think a rebuilding Hawks team will be as desperate to resign Strome as the Leafs were to sign Nylander.

Reactions: featherhawk

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
People are now giving playoff vanishing magicians Strome and Debribcat so much value? How does everyone forget so quickly that these guys become invisible come crunch time?

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
People are now giving playoff vanishing magicians Strome and Debribcat so much value? How does everyone forget so quickly that these guys become invisible come crunch time?

Who is doing this other thank GL12 who is out to lunch?

Debrincat is 25-35 goal scorer most seasons so his value is fine on his deal.

Strome should get 3-3.5 for 2 years, nothing more.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011

How did DeBrincat disappear in the playoffs? He was tied for 4th on the team in playoff scoring, with Dach. He was second on the team in shots, averaging 3 per game. He finished 2 points behind Kubalik, who after scoring 5 points in the opening game went on to score 3 points over the next 8 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad